Windows 10

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: Windows 10

Post by Duke »

Actually something to be mindful of is the age of your hardware, especially add-in cards like sound.
I upgraded my brother-in-laws PC & found his sound no longer worked, I had to find some hacked creative sound drivers to get it working.
I also read that at some point an old MoBo chipset was not compatible with W10 but I can't remember which it was or find the article that talked about it.
So I guess anyone with a PC older then 4-5yrs should be a little wary &/or do some homework before upgrading. ;)

Also what is this format you refer to, how can you format once upgraded to W10?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Duke wrote:Also what is this format you refer to, how can you format once upgraded to W10?
I upgraded my Windows 8.1 install with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool via a USB stick. Once the initial installation had completed, I then did the normal procedure for a format and installed Windows 10 via the Creation Tool again. This gives you the cleanest possible install with no traces of your previous version of windows installed.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Duke wrote:I also read that at some point an old MoBo chipset was not compatible with W10 but I can't remember which it was or find the article that talked about it.
So I guess anyone with a PC older then 4-5yrs should be a little wary &/or do some homework before upgrading. ;)
It pays to install those new parts straight away and not leave them in the box for years.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Duke wrote:Actually something to be mindful of is the age of your hardware, especially add-in cards like sound.
I upgraded my brother-in-laws PC & found his sound no longer worked, I had to find some hacked creative sound drivers to get it working.
I also read that at some point an old MoBo chipset was not compatible with W10 but I can't remember which it was or find the article that talked about it.

Also what is this format you refer to, how can you format once upgraded to W10?
my 8 year old pc that I cant even remember the mobo/cpu names works fine.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

KNAPPO wrote:
Duke wrote:I also read that at some point an old MoBo chipset was not compatible with W10 but I can't remember which it was or find the article that talked about it.
It pays to install those new parts straight away and not leave them in the box for years.

:yes: :yes: :yes:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :rofl:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Thanks guys!

Time to pre-download some drivers for the install!
Santaria

Re: RE: Re: Windows 10

Post by Santaria »

r8response wrote:
Duke wrote:Also what is this format you refer to, how can you format once upgraded to W10?
I upgraded my Windows 8.1 install with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool via a USB stick. Once the initial installation had completed, I then did the normal procedure for a format and installed Windows 10 via the Creation Tool again. This gives you the cleanest possible install with no traces of your previous version of windows installed.
There's tools in Windows 10 that can do a fresh install and format. Used it on my wife's old laptop for a media box. Worked a treat, even set up partitions for page files etc. Took a looooong time though, nearly 4 hours.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah further to what Santaria said under Recovery in settings you can reset the pc with various options on what or what not to keep. You can do a full wipe of all programs and files with two options, one is like a fresh install, the other zeroes out your whole drive which isn't really necessary and takes a long time depending on the size of your install drive. I've done both on work laptops and the end result was a full clean install.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I wonder what the full zero write is for, security reasons I presume?

Just wondering because my Samsung 840 ssd is down to about 300mb/sec read speed these days, makes me wonder if it needs a full wipe to restore the speed or is trim supposed to make that unnecessary?
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah I think it's a bit of a mobile carry over, like resetting a phone or tablet before sale but is probably also a good idea before selling a laptop for instance.

Trim and built in garbage collection is meant to keep SSDs speedy and should work out of the box on any recent drives. I'd do a search on your drive model for any known issues as I do remember reading about a recent Samsung drive needing a firmware update, mine is a Pro of the same generation and didn't have the issue.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

I have had an issue with the wifi "card" on my pc forgetting the network when the computer sleeps or I leave it too long. I have to manually connect to the network after a few hours even though the network has been ticked to be remembered. If you go to Device manager and enter the properties of the wifi card you can choose under power management whether or not to allow it to enter "sleep" mode automatically. Fixed this issue for me, thought I would share in case someone else has a similar issue.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

i always turn sleep off, it seems to mess with the computer to much. even desktops.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I just avoid using Wifi except for phones/tablets. Seems to do the trick :D
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Using both wifi and the lan with the killer drivers, gives me 6mbps - ish on steam when I download stuff.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Waited till the last possible second to pull the trigger on the upgrade from 7 Pro and I must say after a week of use I'm very pleasantly surprised!
Everything works, nothing screwed up. Most of the rubbish can be done away with (Who the fuck wants to talk to their computer, who am I Captain Picard?)
PC seems to run as fast if not a tad faster than before, except on initial startup.

Kudos to Redmond and I never thought I'd be saying that!
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

One feature I've found myself using a fair amount already is the audio output option on the volume control, no need to unplug the headset any more, just an easy switch to change where the audio ends up.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I've always right clicked on the volume control, gone playback devices and set default there. Is there a quicker way now?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Yep, left click on the volume control, hit the upward point arrow for the menu and click on the output device you want.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I did the anniversary update & noticed firstly that a few things stopped working correctly in a few apps/programs, namely Firefox but all very minor. I had to force FF to update to v45 to fix it & assume the other dev's will fix their apps shortly.
The other thing is that the anniversary update leave a windows.old folder on the OS drive, in my case it was 15GB in size. So I promptly got rid of it using this part of Tweaking Windows 10 guide (hint: it's worth going through the whole guide).
Also for those who don't wish to have MS eyes continually prying on them, then check out this guide from the same site: Windows 10 Privacy Settings

EDIT: This is the other thing that's pissing me off
With the Anniversary Update, the NoLockScreen registry value and its corresponding GPO “Do not display the lock screen” has no effect in Windows 10 Home and Professional Editions. These settings now apply only to Enterprise and Education editions. But here is a way to disable the lock screen using a registry hack with Task Scheduler, in any edition of Windows 10. But it will only take care of the lock screen when you lock the computer, but not on startup. :(
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disab ... indows-10/ or http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/disabl ... ck-screen/
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Duke wrote:
EDIT: This is the other thing that's pissing me off
With the Anniversary Update, the NoLockScreen registry value and its corresponding GPO “Do not display the lock screen” has no effect in Windows 10 Home and Professional Editions. These settings now apply only to Enterprise and Education editions. But here is a way to disable the lock screen using a registry hack with Task Scheduler, in any edition of Windows 10. But it will only take care of the lock screen when you lock the computer, but not on startup. :(
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disab ... indows-10/ or http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/disabl ... ck-screen/
You're not on your own there, the extra key press and animation to get to the login prompt shits me to tears, talk about completely missing the mark with a change M$. :bang:
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I updated a few work PCs but decided not to upgrade my gaming PC because of the change to not being able to manually choose windows updates. Even if it's unlikely the last thing I want if I jump on the PC to do some racing is to find an update has screwed something up.

I will say though that now using Win 10 more full time on my work PC (I had been using it on the work laptop) I'm starting to think maybe I should have done my gaming PC. It does seem just that bit nicer all around and it seems memory management is improved and the install size seems to be quite a bit smaller.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Installed the update last night and after rebooting the keyboard didn't work until I switched usb port. I haven't had time to check everything else yet but that quick audio output switch will be very handy.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Shonky, Darren.. I just used a shortcut, linked it to a key press and done... think some time during XP I have been using it or similar.

Code: Select all

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,0
,,0 Playback Tab
,,1 Recording Tab
,,2 Sounds Tab
,,3 Communications Tab
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.