2016 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Montreal
Lap length 4.361km (2.71 miles)
Race laps 70
Race distance 305.27km (189.686 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’13.622 (Rubens Barrichello, 2004)
Fastest lap 1’12.275 (Ralf Schumacher, 2004, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 309kph (192.004 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and back straight
Distance from grid to turn one 280m

UK Times
Friday 10th June 2016
Canadian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 15:00-16:30)
Canadian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 19:00-20:30)
Saturday 11th June 2016
Canadian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 10:00-11:00 (UK time: 15:00-16:00)
Canadian Grand Prix Qualifying: 13:00 (UK time: 18:00)
Sunday 12th June 2016
Canadian Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 19:00)

Previous Winners
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2014 Australia Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-Renault
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2011 United Kingdom Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
2010 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2009 Not held
2008 Poland Robert Kubica BMW Sauber
2007 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2005 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2001 Germany Ralf Schumacher Williams-BMW
2000 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari

Videos
Schumacher onboard 1992

Senna onboard 1991

Facts From Previous Race

Ferrari and the Monaco Grand Prix are two of the most evocative names in grand prix racing. But F1’s most famous team now hasn’t won F1’s most famous race for 15 years. Not since Michael Schumacher’s victory in 2001.

The 44th victory for the driver of car number 44 has been a long time coming by his recent standards. But Lewis Hamilton finally scored not only his first win since clinching his third world championship in October last year, but also his long-awaited second Monaco Grand Prix triumph.

Curiously, at a track where the winner usually comes from pole position, Hamilton won from third on the grid as he did in 2008. Both his Monaco Grand Prix wins also came in the only significantly rain-affected races he’s started at this track.

Victory for Hamilton meant Nico Rosberg’s streak of three consecutive Monaco wins came to an end. Ayrton Senna’s record run of five in a row, set between 1989 and 1993, is safe for now. Mercedes took their fourth Monaco win in a row, leaving them two shy of McLaren’s record of six scored between 1988 and 1993.

Hamilton has now won grands prix in ten consecutive seasons of racing – every year’s he’s competed in Formula One. That equals Alain Prost’s achievement between 1981 and 1990 and leaves only Michael Schumacher’s 15-year-long streak from 1992 to 2006 left to beat. Hamilton also added the 29th fastest lap of his career, putting him fifth on the all-time list.

Daniel Ricciardo was denied his fourth grand prix victory, which means he and Hamilton now have as many grand prix victories as their race numbers – 3 and 44 respectively. Continuing the theme, Mercedes now have 50 grand prix victories which happens to be the sum of their two drivers’ race numbers: 44 and 6. One more win will put them level with Red Bull.

It will be of little consolation to Ricciardo that he took his first pole position. He is the 97th driver to start a race from the front and was the first new pole sitter since Pastor Maldonado in the 2012 Spanish Grand Prix.

Ricciardo is also the only driver to have out-qualified his team mate at every race this year, as Esteban Gutierrez beat Romain Grosjean for the first time at Monaco.

This was the first time in 11 races that a grand prix began with something other than a Mercedes on pole position. The team’s 11-race streak of pole positions is the sixth-longest of all time.

Sergio Perez took his sixth podium finish and the fourth for Force India, all bar one of which he is responsible for. It’s a galling outcome for Nico Hulkenberg, however: he finished his 100th career F1 start without a podium once more while his team mate, who will reach the same century at the next race, has taken half-a-dozen from 99 starts.

All 6 of his podiums have been in races won by Lewis Hamilton

If Hulkenberg ever finishes on the podium he will break Martin Brundle’s record of taking 91 starts to achieve a podium finish. The record for most starts without a podium finish is held by Adrian Sutil, with 128.

For the fifth race running Williams achieved the fastest complete pit stop time for one of their drivers. As Valtteri Bottas failed to score Felipe Massa is now the only driver in the field who has scored points in every race so far this year.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres

Championship Standings
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Re: 2016 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DU CANADA

Post by durbster »

Usually the best race of the season so I'm in for this one :)
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

*swearies :) *

My Flickr Stream
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Did anyone watch lol. Was an average race. Bit if excitement. Max defending rosberg was super solid but still within the rules. Piss of hamilton lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Hello :aussie:
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Yep watched it late this arvo. Apart from the start it was pretty uneventful for a Canadian GP. Go Loowis!!!
Rosberg just re-affirmed to me that he will never win a WC in the same car as Hammy, all things being equal.
Also I fear Verstappen may just get in the way of Dan Ric winning a WC much like Seb did to Gritman. I hope I'm wrong but if RBR gets up to the same lofty standard as when Seb won his WC's with them, I can see it happening.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Vettel is gold :)

And when did Hamilton suddenly become so jovial?

My Flickr Stream
Montey

Post by Montey »

Big Kev wrote:And when did Hamilton suddenly become so jovial?
When he won the race.

It's the major thing I find so insufferable about Hamilton, that when he wins he is Mr Congeniality but when he doesn't win he's the grumpiest c**t on the face of the planet. But what makes it worse is that when he wins due to good fortune or by bad sportsmanship he is his most delighted and when he loses it is always because someone else screwed up. He, in my eyes, really is the worst type of sportsman (put it this way, I like Lance Armstrong more than I like Lewis Hamilton).
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I didn't actually. With it usually being an awesome race I had assumed it'd be live on free to air but it wasn't. I had a look at the rating on F1 Fanatic to see if it was a good one or not but it sounds a bit uneventful so I might not bother.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I watched the 5 min highlights on formula1.com
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I watched the highlight show on Ten last night. Pretty boring even in condensed form :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I still got up in the middle of the night for both qually and the race. It's F1. Not an amazing race by Canada's standards but still entertaining enough for me. A shame the ultra soft is such a conservative compound. It could have been crazy fast but high degradation but they didn't go down that path.

Dan and Lewis both need to work on their starts.

Looking forward to seeing how Baku works out.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

We really need to stop the 1 stoppers.. the whole "falling off a cliff" needs to be more apparent, if they keep running around on one-stopers it will always end like that
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Montey wrote:
When he won the race.

It's the major thing I find so insufferable about Hamilton, that when he wins he is Mr Congeniality but when he doesn't win he's the grumpiest c**t on the face of the planet. But what makes it worse is that when he wins due to good fortune or by bad sportsmanship he is his most delighted and when he loses it is always because someone else screwed up. He, in my eyes, really is the worst type of sportsman (put it this way, I like Lance Armstrong more than I like Lewis Hamilton).
Yep - that is 1000% correct...sorry Lowisss fans...hes a git..
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Hazelb wrote:
Montey wrote:
When he won the race.

Yep - that is 1000% correct...sorry Lowisss fans...hes a git..
That is such BS, I think a lot of people don't see how Rosberg acts when he looses. He is like that little sooky kid that quietly picks up his bat & ball & goes home without saying anything. Just cause he talks softly doesn't mean he's not grumpy when he looses. When it is all said & done (imho) Lewis is the more skilled & natural driver and that is the only reason I follow him, I couldn't give a shit about his personality or attitudes at times.
Oh and by the way how many here were fans of Mansell back in the day? He was exaclty the same as Lewis if not worse. I reckon I could also go back in this forum & see a change in attitude of many here around Seb Vettel, cause he's now more mature & comfortable with how Ferrari are going & less of a whinger when things aren't going well cause his expectations have had to change.
Dukester

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Would that not be the drive to win mentality..
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Mansell was nothing like Lewis. He was a dumb guy who always complained about his injuries and collapsed on a few occasions, but had giant balls of steel inside the car. My dad used to keep a scrap book of all the news articles about his injuries for shits and giggles. He was a really odd guy out of the car who almost came across as a bit of a whinger. Like the Geoffrey Boycott of racing. Mansell was a tool but in a different way.
In the 35 years I've watched F1 I've never seen a guy have emotional highs and lows the way Lewis does. When he loses her acts like a petulant child, and when he wins he becomes sickeningly nice, almost a fake nice. I almost think there's something up with him, like mild autism or something. His behavior is certainly odd and childlike at times. Great driver, but he comes across as a real douche.
Senna was serious and grumpy almost all the time, slightly less serious and grumpy when he won.
Prost rarely showed emotion because it was a sign of weakness. He even once questioned whether Mansells injury antics was a good idea because it showed other drivers a weakness.
Schumacher was just tyical German autocratic discipline.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Agreed Woodsy. I've watched F1 since 1985 and Mansell, Senna, Prost ect... were whinge bags (Senna was a crackpot) but they were gifted and could race when the chips were down. Granted it's a different era now and the car makes or breaks you. Lewis is a great driver but a complete tool out of the car. If he could be how he was when he first went on Top Gear, he'd have more fans. But that shit of being up the front of the truck, alone, on the drivers parade, that's bad.

All race drivers hate losing but Lewis takes it to a new level.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Montey wrote:
When he won the race.

Yes. This.

Sorry Duke, but he's a wanker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

No need to be sorry Dex, each to their own & I get it.
I never said Hammy is not a wanker out of the car but he is no different to a lot of them when it comes to winning & loosing, contrary to what some think here.
Dukester

Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Oh don't be daft Duke, he's a total douchebag. I automatically hold World Champions in high esteem but for that piece of shit I've nothing but contempt. He is the only one.

Actually watched this race, mostly on 2x fast forward I admit. Purely as this is one of the only circuits on the calendar worthy of a Grand Prix. Sadly with these ridiculous cars it was predictably dull. As soon as Vettel pitted, King Douche had it in the bag. + His little Ali song and dance made me want to puke. What a fucking idiot.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

While this race was pretty boring, I think it showed that the engines are getting closer to each other, and at more normal circuits the racing should be good.