Oculus Rift

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Cursed

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by Cursed »

Yes, ordered the touch controllers too. Might as well have the whole set. There's no shipping charge either, which is a big relief.

As a follow-up to my ASW post above, I tested the truck simulators out. ATS seems to be a resource basket-case. Everything is lovely out in the desert, but the moment I get into a city/large town the FPS drops to somewhere in the 30's and its a stutter fest. ETS2 seems to have improved somewhat for me. Stutters are rarer when I run on higher settings than I used to. People have also reported good results on Elite: Dangerous - I will have to check that one out next.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Anyone want to share their experiences of using these things with glasses or contact lenses? I'd like to try it out with mine, but stuffed if I can find a place to demo the Rift in Sydney.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Contact lenses shouldn't be an issue. You might need narrowish frames to fit inside the headset though. CV1 and Vive focus at infinity, so if your glasses are for reading you may not need them.

You're welcome to come over and try mine some time if you want. I'm in baulkham hills. You could also try the Vive in the microsoft store on Pitt St mall if you want to see which works better for you.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I usually use some thin framed specs, which were fashionable about 10 years ago. They work pretty well. The lenses do sometimes end up a little closer to my eyes than usual, to the point where my eyelashes brush them, leaving an oily film that I need to clean off from time to time . Contacts are fine.

Focal distance is somewhere around 1.5m, so I've heard. If you can read okay out at that distance, you should be good to go.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Seems you can get them cheap via amazon.co.uk at the moment, probably due to an error. It lists the price as £549, but when you go to checkout it gives a price of £457.50.

A guy on reddit said his total cost was £479.48 which is about $770AUD. Direct from Oculus is $781USD which is $1020AUD.

renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Just thought I 'd post my findings regarding DPC latency of my GTX1070 on Windows 10. I was high DPC latency even with the correct driver (368.81 I think it was) and getting stutters on occasion in iRacing (only since Windows 10/VR/1070). It turns out I had a conflict with my 1070 and Xonar Essence sound card as well as both of those were using IRQ mode instead of MSI mode. Follow this process http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=378044 to change compatible hardware to MSI mode, it reduces latency and potential bottlenecks. Some things don't go into MSI mode and could cause a BSOD on boot so I would recommend a backup / restore point (or just press Last Good Configuration on F8 startup?). I put my SATA controller, sound card and graphics card into MSI no worries.

The latest drivers combined with the latest iRacing patches means I seem to be able to run at 200 PDP with 2x AA at Sebring in the V8 this week.. Looks SOOO much clearer than 150.

I'm jealous of you guys who are getting touch controllers, Lone Echo looks fun.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

So I got to try RenZ's Rift yesterday albeit only for a very short time but here's my first impression, thoughts & experience.
Also bear in mind, I was only able to use it for less than 30mins as I was time constrained as I had a family lunch to get to.
Also I only drove Assetto Corsa, in the Moby Dick @ Spa with no AI. I also did not partake in any of the demo's beforehand just the eye positioning setup process (which was relatively painless & quick).

The whole OMFG this is so nuts (feeling) of actually sitting in a cockpit with everything in true to life scale is mind-blowing. Never in my dreams as a young gamer did I ever think I'd experience anything like it.
As a severely short-sighted (practically legally blind in right eye) individual, I had to wear my specs to see into the distance as clearly as the Rift allows. I currently have large plastic rim glasses & although they did fit inside the Rift it wasn't the most comfortable. Also after 10mins the amount of condensation on my spec lenses was enough to need a wipe clean. So I'll be looking into a VR Lens Lab set or equivalent when I eventually get a HMD.
First thing that struck me was I thought my head would hit the roll-cage bar above my head in the cockpit, yes it feels that real.
First lap into Eau Rougue I got a touch dizzy. Then in the longer corners of the 1st lap I experienced it again but as soon as I was on the next straight section it disappeared. After lap 1 I didn't get any more dizzy sensations.
For my first time in that car & in AC for a long time I was impressed with how little I ran off the track, yes I know Spa well but judging distance & speed just becomes more natural.
For a while I could hear my family & RenZ in the background. When I took the HMD off to wipe the glasses I was startled to turn around to see they had all disappeared at some point. Yes that's how immersive & isolated you become from reality even after 10mins, which imho is a good but also a bad thing (if you fear getting mugged).
The head-tracking is sublime, the ability to look at, into & through a corner is incredible & so instinctive as you would expect it to be.
I feel the driver animations take away from the immersion as they are not timed to what your doing all the time, like shifting gear. Hopefully this will be the next step for the race -sim HMD genre.
Also once I started to push the car more I got a strange sensation whenever the car slid (particularly yaw), it wasn't a dizzy feeling but a disorienting feeling & different to what you feel irl. It meant I just wasn't sure what to do to correct it instinctively. I'm sure with more time I would work it out & the feeling would disappear but it could affect my ability to race in a pack till I did sort it out.
The Rift headphones sound quality was way better than I expected, to the point I would probably just use them & be happy. Not sure how much RenZ has tweaked them though?

So will I be buying one, well not yet, here's why;
1. Cost prohibitive for me currently. Upwards of $1K with a single income & young kids is a stretch.
2. Visuals, the screen-door effect is still to pronounced for me so is the viewing distance, it's just not clear enough even as blind as I am. It's good for 100mtrs maybe 150mtrs but further than that & it's not realistically see-able.
3. Heat, I sweet when it's 20'C & Sunny so wearing this on my face even after 10mins produced to much heat & sweat. RenZ had a fan blowing at 45 degrees to your seating position but the HMD really needs venting to allow air to pass through it.
Hopefully the 2nd or 3rd generation overcomes some of these issues & if they do I'll be busting a gut to purchase one.

Sorry for the long post but I hope some of you found it worth the read, especially if you haven't experienced a HMD yet & had questions as I did till trying one.
Big thanks to RenZ for the try-out too... :D
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

I must have forgotten to disable my RenHacks, sorry.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Wot no pr0n? Not much of a sales demo. :D
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

That sums up how I feel about it Duke.. still want one and some of the other demos.. take a seat or you will want to fall/lean back.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Good info Duke. All of these HMDs scream "first generation" to me. I know they are but I mean take smartphones for example and think of how different/improved your current phone is compared to what was available in 2007-08.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

DiRT Rally is amazing in VR, part of it I think is to do with what you mentioned regarding seeing into the distance, you don't tend to do it as much in a Rally sim.

I think they are only going to improve in regards to res. I'm lucky that I can take the one we bought for work home now and then, and haven't had to splash out on anything more than a new video card. However if I had of bought one for myself I wouldn't be disappointed. I don't even really want to fire up a sim without it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I thought I'd try American Truck Simulator on my monitor (40" TV) this past weekend after exclusively playing it in the Rift. There really is no going back. It felt like I was peering through a postage stamp.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

Cursed

Post by Cursed »

My touch controllers have been shipped and are on their way from HK. According to FedEx, Friday. I might have to move my normal work-from-home day.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Supposedly mine should be here tomorrow.

I haven't had time to use the rift at all, so hopefully a bit of time off over Christmas will give me the opportunity.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I've got a Friday ETA as well :)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Well, I can say that I am pleasantly surprised. It really does add a new level of immersion.

I've played around with a few demo of things and love it all.

The most amazing program for me though is Medium. Holy shit, that program has sooooo much potential it's crazy.

Getting into my 3D modelling programs was straightforward, but the model was a bit messy. Regardless, very impressed.

The build quality of the controllers is impressive as it their ability to tell when your fingers are touching the buttons. I don't mean press, I mean when you're resting your fingers on the buttons.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Very impressed here too.

I found after I exited after going through the Unspoken tutorial, my hands didn't quite feel like my own for a little while. It was the weirdest feeling of disconnection I've ever had
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Be extra careful of your lenses guys. They scratch easily, as i've found out. There's no way they are glass or it wouldn't have scratched up so easily. I'm guessing acrylic. Oculus doesn't sell spare parts, and i contacted them to send it in for a paid repair. They won't do it. So basically I have to deal with a scuffed up lens or purchase a whole new headset. If I had the chance again, i'd be looking at some kind of lens protector immediately.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

My DK2 lenses got a few tiny scratches but luckily the CV1 has been fine so far. Sucks they don't have any repair/refurb facility.

My touch arrived today. I've been meaning to clear out a bookshelf that's in the way but I've been lazy. No excuses now :)

Occasionally I get in and try Pool Nation VR, The Lab etc with the hydra's but they suck too much for it to be enjoyable. Can't wait to try them with properly tracked controllers.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

If any ARSE rifters are interested in hooking up their friends list for some of these games, I'm "NobodyImportant" (yes there's probably some self-esteem issues there).

I don't normally do any of the social stuff, but I'm tired of seeing an empty friends list and I think I'm comfortable enough around ARSEs. Quite a few of these new Touch related games seem to have multiplayer/co-op capability too.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

How did you scratch the lenses Dexter? The DK2 lenses were known to scratch very easily so I cut out some protectors from a phone screen protector but I haven't heard of the CV1 having the same problem.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Sars, not actually sure how it happened. The rift has been used a bit at public demos, and quite a few people in the department have given it a go. It lives in the office at work so maybe someone had a go when we weren't around. At best guess it's someone's glasses have rubbed against it. Or perhaps the metal frame when trying to get them out. They seem to get wedged in there sometimes if it's a tight fit.

Either way I'd advise looking into a protector of sorts, and being very careful of friends with glasses having a go. It's a probably a little easier to keep an eye on when they are yours and not a work headset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk