Bernie back in bed with Ferrari

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

pixelboy

Bernie back in bed with Ferrari

Post by pixelboy »

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlines/ ... 4504.shtml
Plans for a breakaway series to rival Formula One were effectively ended Wednesday when World Champions Ferrari said they would be staying within the sport until 2012.

The Italian giants, the team of seven-time World Drivers' Champion Michael Schumacher and arguably the most famous name in motorsport, have signed an extension of the Concorde agreement that governs how Formula One is run. The current deal expires in 2007 but Ferrari have already signed up to a new version which will run from 2008 until 2012.
Sounds like a good way to get rid of Bernie AND Ferrari at the same time.

In the past few months Ferrari have proved that they really are the spoilt brat of the F1 world. Refusing to consider test day reductions and now going alone and signing up with Bernie... effectivy leaving the other teams to fend for themselves. I say get rid of them!
eek
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Meh - Formula 1 is a business. Ferrari are just doing what they can to ensure they stay succesful - as is Bernie. Meanwhile, the other times are trying to cut back Ferrari's advantage so that they can win and be successful. I don't like what's going on, and I don't like Ferrari but I also don't believe for a second that what all the other teams are agreeing on is just in the sport's best interest rather than their own.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

i'm presuming that the other teams have agreed to this also... otherwise it's just another 'ferrari vs the rest' agreement...
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Scottie wrote:i'm presuming that the other teams have agreed to this also... otherwise it's just another 'ferrari vs the rest' agreement...
Nope, no other teams. Bernie and Ferrari have just managed to basically shaft all the other teams and the GPWC. Stoddart certainly won't be signing off on a simple extension of the Concorde agreement and neither will the other bosses. It's basically a big FU to the GPWC. :tilt:
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

sweet, so no more GPWC... that was a little rediculous in my opinion. not enough money in the world for 2 WC's
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Just look what a breakaway formula did to Indycar. I don't think GPWC would have worked myself.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Montey

Post by Montey »

A word from McLaren on this suggests that the GPWC group is far from dead. One option being touted is that a bunch of banks own a significant portion of the F1 contract (which ever one that is) and that the GPWC may be able to convince the banks to hand over the control of the share of F1 they own.

This would allow the GPWC owners (Williams, McLaren, etc...) to take a much larger stake in the decision making process and to act as a better foil to Bernie and Ferrari.

Effectively GPWC would then be a major owner of F1 alongside Bernie and his minions.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Montey wrote:A word from McLaren on this suggests that the GPWC group is far from dead. One option being touted is that a bunch of banks own a significant portion of the F1 contract (which ever one that is) and that the GPWC may be able to convince the banks to hand over the control of the share of F1 they own.

This would allow the GPWC owners (Williams, McLaren, etc...) to take a much larger stake in the decision making process and to act as a better foil to Bernie and Ferrari.

Effectively GPWC would then be a major owner of F1 alongside Bernie and his minions.
but you have to remember that ferrari is part of the GPWC.