Bit of a PC upgrade question [for Rift]

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Bit of a PC upgrade question [for Rift]

Post by smithcorp »

So, I was thinking that this year I'd have to get a whole new system to get set up for Oculus Rift, but some reading suggests I might be able to start off with a more modest upgrade.

I have a Asus P8Z68-V-LX Z68 motherboard which is PCIE 3.0 ready apparently. I am also running an i5 2500 3.3 ghz, which I believe can easily be overclocked. I've got 16gb ram and a stonking new PSU.

So conceivably, I could swap out my Asus ENGTX560 graphics card for a GTX1070, which should fit on the mobo, and add an Oculus-compatble usb 3.0 card like this: and be able to run a Rift?

I'm hoping this is the case, because it would save me big bucks.
hylas

Re: Bit of a PC upgrade question [for Rift]

Post by hylas »

That's a pretty old CPU these days. You would probably want to upgrade that. I'm in a similar situation these days too with my i7 3770. You would need to buy a new board and RAM. Moving to DDR4 RAM would be very helpful, especially if you are considering buying one of nvidia's latest cards.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Yep, my mobo won't take a CPU that Oculus considers acceptable. Reddit folk seem to be saying the 2500 can work, so wondering if I could get by for a while with effectively just a new video card.

Next step would have to be new mobo, ram and cpu which is more costly. However, I figure the video card would still be able to be used in a new rig.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I'm running a 6600k 3.5mhz 4 core, 16gb ram and a gtx 680, and I can run Pcars, AC and IR with no issues on my DK2. Overclock the CPU a touch and you'll be fine
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I think the DK2 might be a little less taxing... Both resolution and refresh rate are lower.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind betting that Smith would be fine with just the 1070. Oculus Home whinges about the processor in our work PC, but I think it just looks at which generation it is, rather than it's performance. It's a 3rd Gen i7 and works perfectly with the 1060.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Oooh - just what I want to hear...
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Give it a shot Smith,

If it's not up to it you won't have wasted the 1070.
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

That was what I was thinking too. You'd need the card regardless, so no harm in trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Seems i can keep win 7 for a while and still run the Rift?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

As per https://www.oculus.com/rift/ the recommended OS shows as "Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer".

I'd recommend some research: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+7+or+10+and+oculus+rift

You have to remember that there's limitations associated to clinging to an old OS.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks Cursed - I realise I have to upgrade to 10, but there's still a few games I like to play (like Battle of Britain 2) that as yet don't run on it - need to brace myself for that... Soon, but not yet.

Edit: I had done the Google, but most of the discussions I found weren't clear, instead turning into rants pro and anti-Win 10 without dealing with the essential problem. So far as I could work out, Rift will work with Win 7, except for the Oculus desktop, but that doesn't seen crucial.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Or dual boot.. Win7/10.. best of both.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

So, my upgrade got done and Oculus is on its way. The shop installed a 500gb SSD by cloning my HDD. Now I have identical folders on C: (SSD) and D: (HDD) and a portable hard drive with all my images and documents backed up. I suppose I can format the HDD and then set up folders on it for storage, but are there any advantages in having cloned drives like this, that could help me to work out what programs/games to have on the SSD versus the HDD?

Is it possible to run a program from either the new C drive (SSD) or D drive (HDD) by just changing the exe the shortcut points to and deleting the program's installed folder on the other drive for instance? Or would I still need to uninstall and reinstall if I wanted to have a program on my HDD and not on my SSD?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

With most games you'll probably need to reinstall. Steam lets you set up multiple library locations and when installing games you can choose where to install to and it's not hard to move a game between libraries. (copy across, uninstall from steam, perform install to new location and it'll discover the existing files)

Something you should be aware of is that the Oculus software doesn't let you choose. All games etc you install via Home get installed to the same directory you install Home to. I made the mistake of installing it to my 128GB C: so any time I want to install something I have to uninstall something else which is a hassle. Sometimes I can't even update the larger games if there's < 10GB space free. You can mess around with windows directory links to move things but that's just a pain in the ass.

Only difference between installing on ssd and hdd is loading times. Not really an issue when you're playing on monitor, but when you're standing there with the headset on you notice it. A watched pot never boils, and you have no choice but to watch. I try to install all VR stuff to SSD's for that reason.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

DarrenM wrote:(copy across, uninstall from steam, perform install to new location and it'll discover the existing files)
Don't even need to do that anymore. Steam has an inbuilt option to move a game for you.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

There's a way, Darren. Even if you are given no choice by the software. Use junctions.

Look up junction link magic for example, altho there is a microsoft tool for this job, too, a command-line one.

I've a some of what's "set in stone" in windows moved to another drive this way.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?