Your ride today, yesterday....

CyclARSEts talk in here.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Your ride today, yesterday....

Post by KNAPPO »

Well done CLP.

Now Norbs, you need to come down and put in one of your stellar qualy lap efforts and raise the bar.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:Well done CLP.

Now Norbs, you need to come down and put in one of your stellar qualy lap efforts and raise the bar.
No.. No he really doesn't need to do that for a while. That frickin' hurt.. :o
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

CLP wrote:I think I made amends for my shitty start to the day :)

After installing a new tyre and tube I went on my planned ride up Norton Summit after work. News to report from the ride is that after 4 1/2 years i finally beat my Norton Summit PR! :D Fuck yeah! :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1035949963
Well Done :yes:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

KNAPPO wrote:Well done CLP.

He took 1 minute off his best. I killed myself for my time. :)

Looking at it closer, Carl average 253w for his climb. The best I have done with a power meter is 4 minutes slower, but with 311W ave power. :eek:

Both out best times.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1013950 ... g3NTQ3NA==
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Brilliant efforts by the both of you. Ude smash me up there thats for sure!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:Brilliant efforts by the both of you. Ude smash me up there thats for sure!

You should give it a crack on your hardtail :) from there you can take the unsealed roads to get to Anderson hill :)
norbs wrote: He took 1 minute off his best. I killed myself for my time. :)

Looking at it closer, Carl average 253w for his climb. The best I have done with a power meter is 4 minutes slower, but with 311W ave power. :eek:

Both out best times.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1013950 ... g3NTQ3NA==
For what it's worth, I felt like i was going to crash and burn in the last km! When I got into the last kilometer I was thinking that I might be able to crack 18 min, so I tried to give it a little bit extra. Legs didn't really appreciate it..

Probably a couple of interesting things (to me) out of this..

I was actually slower than my previous PR (and Norbs' PR) over the first 2km :eek: I reckon i stayed too long in the big chainring.
PR_compare.JPG

a while ago i ran the numbers through one of those analytic cycling websites and it reckoned that I needed to average about 250 to ride Norton Summit in 19min, which was my goal.

In the meanwhile I've dropped a few kg recently which i figure works well to improve my W/kg :D
weight.JPG

L/R power balance was 49%:51% for the segment. After the time i've spent on the track and riding rollers, this actually pleases me more than it should :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Been riding a lot with a good mate thats just getting into the sport so I have been taking it easy on the downs so he has someone to follow as a guide thru Anstey's rockier trails.
Last night I said to him im going to go for it and ill meet him at the bottom.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1037871759

Locked out the front fork on the hardtail and gave it full beans. Pinging off rocks, bunny hopping others and relying on the traction of my changed up tyres and I was flying. Fuck me it felt good to attack a downhill again, almost had 3 big offs on the low side of the trail when I bounced off a rocky outcrop the wrong way but held it together. Snagged some very respectable Strava times on 'Wednesday Downtime, Living on the Quarry Edge & Round the Back of the Quarry"

Had an interesting moment last night: Ol skip didnt know which way to bolt so followed the singletrack right infront of me for a good 40 meters. He was freaking out and jumping quite erratically, was hard not to laugh.

I think riding the Hardtail fully locked out had taught me a thing or two about maintaining trail momentum over the rough stuff. Hoping to get the big bike up n running again soon and having some fun.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Beautiful day in Adelaide, so Miss V and I went for a cruise out to watch the Pedal Prix racing at Vic Park. Had a bit of a bite to eat while watching trikes race about at seriously stupid speeds, then headed home :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1040257959

I took a photo. :)
pedal_prix.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I have proved that I can keep up with those things :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:I have proved that I can keep up with those things :)

:rofl:

the fast guys today were averaging nearly 60km/h per lap which is seriously impressive. Well.. I was impressed :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Tackled this last night: https://www.strava.com/activities/1047150449
Got home and puked my guts up. :puke:

Just a bit sore in the legs today, but it was worth it.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote:I have proved that I can keep up with those things :)

:rofl:

the fast guys today were averaging nearly 60km/h per lap which is seriously impressive. Well.. I was impressed :)
Assuming I did my homework correctly, that bike was the one that Pinger$ was (potentially) riding .. I was hoping for a race update :P They had a spot of bad luck right in front of us with a snapped chain. :(

KNAPPO wrote:Tackled this last night: https://www.strava.com/activities/1047150449
Got home and puked my guts up. :puke:

Just a bit sore in the legs today, but it was worth it.
that's what you get for running :P now get back on the bike (via a CX style flying re-mount) ;)

oh.. and congrats, that's a massive effort. :D my legs would be falling apart within the first km :(
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

CLP wrote:that's what you get for running :P now get back on the bike (via a CX style flying re-mount) ;)

Ha, i was going to ride tonight but I think a well deserved night off is in order. Ive only had two full rest days this month, starting to catch up with me.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

with the nice weather we've been having, I've been trying to get in the hills a bit after work more. I had intended to wind it back late this week to get myself ready for a race on Saturday, but sadly this race was postponed due to lack of entries :( So I've decided to ride more hills in the meanwhile. this was last nights effort:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1047087993

With any luck, I should be smashing it when the CX State Champs comes around in about two weeks. :) Hoping not to be lapped :aussie:
norbs

Post by norbs »

Good work Knappo. I used to love running. The sad truth is I have destroyed my knees and running has me in pain for days after it. If I could drop down below 80kg I'd give it another shot, but we all know that will never happen.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Well a first to me in almost 10,000km of riding, Right @ the 50k mark of my 55k ride was rolling down a slight hill into a roundabout, lady decided not to look and pulled out. I shit myself and yelled out which startled her and she just stopped in the middle of the roundabout. I couldn't stop in time and went into the side and rolled over the bonnet.
Ended up not being too bad with just a bit of soft tissue damage of my keen, Bike isn't bad with a busted front deralaler and chain ring (cant see any carbon damage at this stage, but ill look tomorrow when im a bit more mobile)

Overall could have worse, just a reminder to all to stay safe and never trust people to follow road rules
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

that's gotta suck Nutty... hopefully there's no dramas from her (or her insurance) for the damages.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jesus. How you felling now a few days later?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Not too bad honestly, I keep thinking how much worse it could have been.
Ended up with a few cuts and a lot of bruises, I went physio yesterday, bit of swelling behind the knee cap but not tears which is great.

ill sort out the bike/insurance tomorrow and see what comes out of it, looks like its just a front chainring and a new helmet
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

nutty wrote:Not too bad honestly, I keep thinking how much worse it could have been.
Ended up with a few cuts and a lot of bruises, I went physio yesterday, bit of swelling behind the knee cap but not tears which is great.

ill sort out the bike/insurance tomorrow and see what comes out of it, looks like its just a front chainring and a new helmet
good to hear you're not too bad.

Take your bike to a bike shop to get it checked out (you'll probably need to anyway to satisfy insurance requirements). basically anything that is scratched or scraped due to the crash, get that replaced.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Nasty, glad to hear you are ok Nutty.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I had a bit of a try of the BKool Simulator software on Sunday night. Initial impressions were pretty good. The most obvious being the ability to ride a number of iconic climbs around the world. I (perhaps stupidly) chose "Col du Galibier" :D . General setup looked ok, bordering on pretty slick, though one immediate issue was that unlike Zwift I couldn't pair up both my trainer and my power meter. The most immediate result being that I had no cadence readout. The climb started pretty much immediately, and there was no let up.

Looking at my Garmin (displaying power from my Vectors), and then comparing the power being transmitted by the trainer, I realised the biggest issue I was facing. Despite doing a spin-down calibration there was a power discrepancy of ~30-50 Watts. For someone who, on a good day, would output only 200ish Watts this is a fairly big deal. To be fair, this is more of a Wahoo issue, rather than a Bkool issue. Ultimately, I didn't really enjoy that session and cut it short at about 1/2 distance. I'll probably give it another crack at some point.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Continuing my effort to ride more hills.... I rode more hills after work :)

It was frickin' cold!
But I got a PR up the old freeway. Still slower than Norbs though :(
https://www.strava.com/activities/1056345777
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Top work mate.

Yeah my night rides have been freeeezing. Wearing two tops, elbow and knee armour and it still cuts thru!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:Top work mate.

Yeah my night rides have been freeeezing. Wearing two tops, elbow and knee armour and it still cuts thru!
Garmin reckoned about 4 degrees around the back of Montecute, though I think I felt it more coming back down the hill. Wind vest generally knocks most of the chill out, and a merino base layer insulates pretty nicely. Plus leg and arm warmers, skull cap and winter booties :D