Cricket 2016/2017

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
pixelboy

Re: Cricket 2016/2017

Post by pixelboy »

It has been an interesting day. Only India can win now but my money's on the draw..

Amazing innings by both Pujara and Saha. They dug India out of trouble.
eek
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

India will win this now, hard to imagine anything else with Jadeja looking totally lethal.
XLV SPORT
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

It's going to be a very tough day now they are 2 down already. You're probably right Jiminee!
eek
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Anyone else panic when Smith shuffles across the crease. I am just waiting for a worm burner to get him lbw.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Oh oh. Trouble.

Smith with a brain fart.
pab

Post by pab »

norbs wrote:Anyone else panic when Smith shuffles across the crease. I am just waiting for a worm burner to get him lbw.
Not as much as when he leaves a ball that's hitting his stumps.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

So the only question now is whether they will make it to tea.
:teach:
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I think that it is a safe bet. Almost wiped out the deficit to which effectively removes two overs plus whatever India need to overhaul the score from the required batting time.
It all might help.

Anyone else love how Renshaw and Handscomb look and play like old fashioned cricketers? Both of them look like guys from the 60s - its great.
Calling it now, Handscomb is the next captain.
XLV SPORT
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Handscome and Marsh have saved the test. Well done lads. Series is alive!
eek
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Very well done by those two.
So apparently I am terrible at picking cricket matches and real estate.
XLV SPORT
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

It was a great effort.

For years it's been frustrating that the Aussie mentality in this situation seemed to be, "I must dominate", leading to poor shots and collapses.

In this innings for Handscomb in particular it was a case of keeping out the good balls, knowing that occasionally there will be a bad one to punish. A level of patience that we haven't seen in the Aussie team for a very long time.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Kohli out of the 4th test. Interesting.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Sweet
As much as I hate him though I do respect him. He is only playing the game the way he grew up watching us play it.
XLV SPORT
norbs

Post by norbs »

India take the lead.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Not long now. A very disappointing 2nd innings from Australia.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Not sure if they meant it but Australia have done so much prep and batting on 'Indian' type pitches recently throwing them a curve ball with something hard and bouncy seemed to really work!
XLV SPORT
norbs

Post by norbs »

Rahane has got some free movie tickets this arvo. LOL
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I'd say so.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

The girls could return home as unemployed world champions. They badly need to short this shit out and Cricket Australia not be so greedy. To me they are trying to be like the AFL and it just doesn't work for cricket.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Dr. Pain wrote:The girls could return home as unemployed world champions. They badly need to short this shit out and Cricket Australia not be so greedy. To me they are trying to be like the AFL and it just doesn't work for cricket.
Cricket Aust need to shoulder some of the blame, but c**t* like Warner need to keep their fucking mouths shut too. A guy that is pretty much a thug with great hand eye coordination getting paid what he does? FFS.

Also, as pointed out to me a while back to me...

Under their submission, the players have asked for 22 per cent of gross revenue.

So a parent paying $100 for junior cricket registration, $22 of that goes straight to players. That may be fair enough for the shield players, but the guys on $1million a year shouldn't see a fucking cent of that money. Fuck those guys. They get endorsements worth more than most people see in a year, so yeah, fuck those guys.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I do agree on the 22% that it should be used for giving state players and the girls a better piece of the pie.

The guys at the top get enough and that's enough incentive to keep people aiming that high. My worry is the state players going onto a fixed wage but it did give the girls more money. I think their wage under the proposed deal took them from $22K to $44.5K per year but that's not enough for a professional player. If you're not going to make money at a state level then that will take a decent hit and affect the national team. We have such a strong domestic competition and it should not decline.

I think after this that the top guys should like Warner give up something to really prove that this is not about them. His missus was a pro athlete and there's no money for them. Set it up now so his daughter can be a pro cricketer if she wants to be in the future.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I did some research into what Cricket Australia want and it is entirely bonkers by my interpretation, but then I tend to side with the players on these sorts of things.

As Jalen Rose once said (or close to it) - Kobe Bryant is wealthy, the guy who signs Kobe's cheques, now he is rich!

Also CA saying things like the BBL cost COST them $30 mill is just ridiculous. Those sort of statements lead to a total loss of credibility with me, but as always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
XLV SPORT
Montey

Post by Montey »

Let them have their 22%.... but....

Treat the cost of their time at the various sporting and cricket academies like HECS-HELP, require them to repay the debt from their post-tax income once they achieve over $100K in a year, and charge them an absolute fortune for their academy time. That way, all of the players who don't make it to the mega-money stage will never have to pay their debt but people like Warner will find themselves paying back several hundred thousand dollars a year.

(By the way, I said post-tax as a way to encourage the high-paid cricketers to put their money in to their superannuation savings, and also as a way to encourage those who might only have a few decent years to also save that money for their retirement.)
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I think we are seeing the influence of the IPL here to and how that shifts the power dynamic around.
The players, financially, dont need CA in the way the once did and that scares the crap out of them.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Well it's done. Players get to keep the TV money but have to give some back for grass roots cricket.

Still a huge pay gap for men to women. $313,000 V $87,000 playing for Australia