iRacing Chat

iRacing
GT VIRUS
Karen

Re: iRacing Chat

Post by GT VIRUS »

And this happens in almost every big event they run. I never attempted them seriously because I knew something would fuck up
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Norbs this is the company that literally decided a week before the event to take out the gt cars and replace them with gte cars that only got released on Tuesday so teams that had heaps of practice before etc had to go buy the new car lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Hello :aussie:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Shaun wrote:Norbs this is the company that literally decided a week before the event to take out the gt cars and replace them with gte cars that only got released on Tuesday so teams that had heaps of practice before etc had to go buy the new car lol

Wow. That would agitate me if I had been training in a GT car. And then forced to buy a new car. wow, sounds exactly like Telstra. :D Actually, it sounds like Apple now. :rofl:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Steve Myers wrote:Hi All,

Sorry for my delayed response. I have been tied up in life outside of iRacing for the last 24 hours.

I know it is just words but we do apologize for the issue with the 24 hour race. We became aware late in the week last week that there might be a software issue specific to the Le Mans track. When discussing our options we came to the conclusion that we really only had 2 options. Run the race in the hope that it was not a major issue or cancel the race and let you down by not being able to run in an event that may not have issues. So really not an ideal situation with either option and of course the issue was bigger than we had hoped.

This is not a server or network issue. This is an issue specific to the track that as of this moment we still are not sure what it is. We have had a debugger attached to race servers that are running and we have not been able to get the issue to happen with those machines.

I wish I had more information for you at this time but I don't. We will continue to look for the issue and when we get it fixed we will reschedule the event. Yes this is a crappy situation but we push very hard to try and deliver as much as we can to the service as quickly as we can. Sometimes we are going to push too hard and have errors happen. I am sorry again that the race did not go smoothly.

Thanks for your understanding.

Steve
I was openly critical of them for removing the GT1 and GT2 cars but they had their valid reasons and it seemed most people wanted the change. I doubt I will re-run the event, we got hit by the bug two times but it was still a good race, nearly 9 hours on track, 130 laps done and it was more than worth it for me.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Ouch.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Finally!!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Anyone here tried irFFB?

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts ... 52959.page

https://github.com/nlp80/irFFB/wiki

It makes use of the 360Hz telemetry output to provide 360Hz FFB for silky smoothness. It also has extra sliders to help with feel. You can increase the effect of bumps, suspension load and the effect of yaw which should help feel when the car starts to slide.

I haven't quite got it working properly yet, but some of the guys I drive with a raving about it.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I have read a bit about it but what put me off was the latency it adds.

Keep us updated on your experience Darren. :yes:
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Got irFFB working properly last night (had to turn on the per car setting in irffb) and it feels pretty good. Not noticing lag. From what I understand it only adds 14ms to the standard FFB. In the Ford GTE I couldn't have the extra suspension load effect on. I'm running high caster and it was producing super strong forces that were off putting. The SoP seat of pants effect feels almost like a driver aid. Makes it easier to feel when the car is getting loose in slow corners.

I'm going to stick with it for now, but it just makes me wish even more that they'd update iracing to use a higher tick rate. 60Hz is causing too many limitations.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Now you've got me curious, any tips on getting this setup & running quickly?
Dukester

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:Got irFFB working properly last night (had to turn on the per car setting in irffb) and it feels pretty good. Not noticing lag. From what I understand it only adds 14ms to the standard FFB. In the Ford GTE I couldn't have the extra suspension load effect on. I'm running high caster and it was producing super strong forces that were off putting. The SoP seat of pants effect feels almost like a driver aid. Makes it easier to feel when the car is getting loose in slow corners.

I'm going to stick with it for now, but it just makes me wish even more that they'd update iracing to use a higher tick rate. 60Hz is causing too many limitations.

Is SOP as tricky to get right as in PCars Darren? I know it took me ages, but when I finally got it right, it felt great.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

It was fairly basic to set up, I'd just missed a check box. You install vjoy, then run the irFFB exe and fiddle with the sliders.

It has 60Hz options as well which don't add latency if you find it to be a problem at 360. Seems the 360Hz mode is actually 29ms latency total.
https://github.com/nlp80/irFFB/wiki/FFB-Types

SoP seemed ok on the first go. I haven't played much with the range, just put it at 50% and drove for a bit to get used to it. You can alt-tab and adjust the sliders without having to restart the sim so it doesn't take long to find something you like.

Only thing it lacks is an auto strength adjustment, but it does show you what percentage was clipped when you get out of the car so that doesn't take long to dial in either.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm sure I've seen the iRacing FFB guy, David Tucker I think, say that anything over 60Hz is useless or maybe it's that there's no benefit due to other limitations :shrug:

FFB is something I never play with or care about much, I have settings that I like or it's probably more accurate to say that I'm accustomed to which are apparently 'wrong' according to people who put a lot of stock in FFB.

It's interesting a comment I read from the Fanatec CEO that OSW wheels are probably less realistic than other wheels in terms of feel compared to a real car but they do provide more feedback that can be useful to understand what a car is doing. So they can be taken as a way to provide some of the feedback that is lost between a real and a simulated car.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Well, they also said it was useless to run higher resolutions for the rift until they with cv1 and the ppdp option. We were basically locked at 120% and they stone walled all requests to allow us to run higher. The smoothness of the FFB at 360Hz also proves that things could be a lot better with a higher rate.

I think their problem is that the entire core of the sim is tied to the 60Hz tick rate so it would require a big rewrite. IIRC they do calculate some physics etc at higher rates but it all has to feed back into the base 60Hz tick. Higher tick rate could allow us to have adjustable bump stops, better ground collision, better curb handling and better FFB.

After doing a race with irFFB last night I'm not so sure on it. Maybe it's just that I'm not used to it but the car just didn't feel right. Also had a spin when it felt like the FFB turned off for about 10 seconds so it may have glitched out for some reason.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

DarrenM wrote:After doing a race with irFFB last night I'm not so sure on it. Maybe it's just that I'm not used to it but the car just didn't feel right. Also had a spin when it felt like the FFB turned off for about 10 seconds so it may have glitched out for some reason.
Oh that's not good & frankly is one reason why I have not bothered with it without someone I trust verifying it is worth doing.
I am already concerned with how many peripheral programs & apps I run with iRacing & this would add another to the demand on my whole system.
Dukester

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I did a fair bit of reading about it on the forum and it does sound like it improves the feel but at the cost of a good chunk of latency, whether that's important or not is an individual thing, some guys noted they liked it but the latency made them slower.

David Tucker had previously tested iRacing at 120Hz but he didn't seem to notice much of an improvement in the FFB so I guess that's where some of the reluctance comes from but most people seem to like irFFB at 360Hz. Even if David and iRacing accepted that 360Hz was much better it sounds like it still probably wouldn't be enough justification for all the coding work it would require. It also sounds like an increase in the tick rate will happen at some point but will probably be more like a jump to 120Hz, it seems the big limitation is CPUs themselves so the physics running at 360Hz is something we may never see unless there's some revolution in CPUs.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

It appears iRacing now deploys bug fix patches during the course of a season rather than wait till they get bundled with the next season build. Which I for one think is a much better approach. :yes:
Release Notes for 2017 Season 3 Patch 3 [2017.07.18.01]
Dirt

- The car-to-car incident detection threshold for generating 2X contact penalties has been increased. This means that a stronger hit will now be needed on Dirt Tracks to generate a 2X penalty.
- Adjusted the look of wet dirt.

Garage
- Fixed an issue where ride height adjustments would continue to modulate while sitting in the garage.

Rendering
- Fixed an issue where headlights were not rendering correctly on triple-screen setups with a field-of-view close to 180 degrees.

EasyAntiCheat
- EAC has been updated to the latest version.
- Users will now always be provided a reason if EAC removes them from a session.

Peripherals
- Fixed an issue with the @ symbol from Slovenian keyboards.

CARS:
Dirt Late Model
- (ALL) - Rear diff model changed from locker to spool.
- (ALL) - Reverted changes to aero balance from Season 3 update.
- (ALL) - Reverted changes to torque curves from Season 3 update.
- (LIMITED) - Season setups have been updated.
- (SUPER) - Season setups have been updated.

Global Mazda MX-5 Cup
- Fixed an issue with a paint pattern not displaying correctly.

Kia Optima
- A new vehicle setup has been added.

NASCAR Camping World Chevrolet Silverado
- (DIRT VERSION) - Season setups have been updated.

NASCAR Camping World Toyota Tundra
- (DIRT VERSION) - Season setups have been updated.

NASCAR Nationwide Chevrolet Impala circa 2011
- Season setups have been updated.

NASCAR XFINITY Toyota Camry

NASCAR XFINITY Chevrolet Camaro

NASCAR XFINITY Ford Mustang

TRACKS:
Lime Rock Park
- Fixed a loading error with the School track configuration.

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Summit Point Raceway

NEW IRACING UI PREVIEW & TIME ATTACK:
General
- The "iRacing is already Running!" issues appears to be fixed after this update. Solve this by simply allowing that dialog box to stay on the screen, and launch the new UI again. Then close it once your SIM update has begun.
- When exiting the SIM from a session of any type, the user is now put back into the same UI section from which they entered the SIM.
- The "Send Us Feedback" button has been relocated to the bottom left of the interface.
- The link found in the Results pop-up after an event should now load the corresponding Results page on the classic membersite.
- The iRacing SIM Updater has been moved to the top-right corner of the UI. The color and mouse-over tooltip of the icon will indicate what, if any, updates are available.
- - Red = Required Updates are Available!
- - Blue = Optional Updates are Available!
- - Green = iRacing is Fully Updated!
- When iRacing has Required Updates available, all events in the Card View should now have the Red "Update Required" note attached to them.
- The icon for Fixed Setups has been changed to a "No Wrench" icon.
- The icon for Adjustable Setups has been changed to a "Wrench" icon.
- Official and Hosted sessions will now display the icons for Fixed or Adjustable Setups so they can be seen before entering the session.
- When clicking "Register" for a Multi-Car Official or Hosted Session without having a car selected should no longer freeze the UI.
- Users should now be able to select to display either their Road or Oval SR/IR at the top left corner, and Coherent should remember their choice even after logging out.
- The car image for all car selection menus should now update correctly to match your new car selection.
- Coherent is now limited to 90 fps. This can help with inadvertently causing graphics cards to be over worked while running the new UI.
- All modal UI boxes now have a maximum width, to prevent them from stretching across multiple screens.
- Users should no longer be able to Register for a Session in which iRacing Updates are required.
- The helmet pattern and color beside a user's name should now match the classic membersite.

Test Drive
- The Test Drive modal menu now states that you can drive any car you own on any track you own.
- Users should now be able to select a car and track in order to start a Test Drive Session.
- Non-default painted wheels should now be used during Test Drive Sessions.

Series Racing
- Two new filtering tags have been added, "Official" and "Joinable".

Hosted Racing
- When creating a Hosted Session, Fixed an issue when using the Reset button after selecting a car removes the selected car from the list of choices.
- When creating a Hosted Session, Fast Repairs should now be able to be set to a value of zero.
- When creating a Hosted Session, Time of Day may now be adjusted when using Dynamic Weather.
- When creating a Hosted Session, all cars and tracks are now sorted alphabetically by display name by default.
- When creating a Hosted Session, the session restrictions should now default to the full range of values for iRating and License Class.
- When creating a Hosted Session, the default value for Car Fuel is now 100% for all vehicles.
- When creating a Hosted Session, the session may no longer be set to 0 minutes in length.
- When creating a Hosted Session, the default weather conditions are now set to 2 MPH Wind and 55% Humidity.
- When creating a Hosted Session, releasing a mouse click when the mouse pointer is no longer over the Session creation window should no longer close the window.
- Fixed a typo that was mislabeling two of the column headers when viewing Hosted Sessions using the List view.
- When creating a Hosted Session, fixed an issue where the error message "unique constraint (IRACING_APP.PK_SVCPRIVATESESSION_ADMIN) violated" would be displayed if there was more than 1 admin for the session.

Time Attack
- Fixed an issue where racers could complete Time Attack laps without actually driving around the track.
- The ability to select a specific racer's ghost in Time Attack now has additional instructions to make it easier to locate this functionality.
- Time Attack Competitions can now be filtered with additional tags, including: "own all content", "own some content", and "content that doesn't require updates".
- When leaving a Time Attack Competition Session, the user should be brought back to the screen for that Time Attack Competition.
- Each Time Attack results page now only displays 15 results instead of 20 to reduce screen space.
- The navigation arrows in the top-right corner of the Time Attack Results screen have been adjusted so that the arrows on each end jump 15, and the arrows in the middle jump 1. This should match the classic membersite.
- When viewing a specific car/track Time Attack Competition Results page, the "X" button should now close the results, and go directly to the Time Attack Sessions Info panel instead of all the way back to the list of all Time Attack Competitions.
- When moving from viewing the Overall Results for a Time Attack Competition to the Competition Info, all of a racers' performance percentages on each track should no longer vanish.
- Time is now the default sorting method for Relative Time Attack results.
- When switching from a Time Attack Competition Relative results page for a specific track to a different Time Attack Competition Relative results page using the same track, the data should update correctly.
- When a specific Time Attack Competition is selected, the Relative Standing Results will now update to reflect the selection.
- The background color highlighting your own Time Attack results has been adjusted to increase readability.
Dukester

Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Get pumped for spa 24hr this weekend!

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Shaun wrote:Get pumped for server crashes this weekend
FTFY
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

That's highly likely. Past two weeks I've been having a shit of a time in other games with US servers. Something is a miss somewhere in the US with routers.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

We missed the reg so no race for us in the end haha fuck

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Doh, I'm always worried I'm going to do that.

I've been a bit crook so I'm not racing in this one but I spectated our team a bit and the tyres still pick up too much dirt. I knew this anyway but it's very apparent in a long race like this.

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

That sounds like it's being hammered with paint balls or something! That would drive me nuts.

I do like the car though. I did have a very enjoyable race in Monza in it some time ago.
Minister for Religious Genocide.