Pimax: The World's First 8K VR Headset

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Pimax: The World's First 8K VR Headset

Post by Duke »

Who is Pimax?
Pimax is not new to the industry. The company was already able to successfully deliver a 4K VR headset to customers. The goal of Pimax’ first VR headset was to remove the ever so popular screen door effect.

What is the 8K VR Headset all about?
The 8K VR headset is now also supposed to remove the “binocular” effect by increasing the field of view to 200 degrees, coming as close as never before to the FOV of the human eye.
The headset offers a resolution of 3840 x 2160 (4K) for each eye. Moreover, the headset is compatible with Oculus Home and SteamVR (store and tracking).
To counter the problems one not may but will encounter with the lacking performance of hardware, Pimax has implemented the so-called “Brainwarp” technology. Instead of displaying two images at the same time, images are alternated between the two eyes 150/ 180 times per second, making the computer only render one 4K image and not two.

If you want a headset, you can order yours now on Kickstarter, starting at $499 for the 8K and $349 for the 5K version.
The only difference between the two lies in resolution. The 5K headset “only” displays 2560 x 1440 pixels per eye.
The first units are supposed to ship January next year.

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
wabbit

Re: Pimax: The World's First 8K VR Headset

Post by wabbit »

Sounds like the first of the 2nd gen VR headsets?
pab

Post by pab »

To counter the problems one not may but will encounter with the lacking performance of hardware, Pimax has implemented the so-called “Brainwarp” technology.

Yep, that sentence certainly did a good job of warping my brain!
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Tested did a preview of it. There will be 2 versions of the 8k headset. One will take 4k and upscale to 8k with a built in upscaler. The other will run native 8k, but requires 2 display port cables. Sounded like there were a few issues to sort out but it's still in development.

GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

As 8k isn't really there even for monitors yet, I don't expect this to be here soon. Hope my DK2 survives till then!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

GT VIRUS wrote:As 8k isn't really there even for monitors yet, I don't expect this to be here soon. Hope my DK2 survives till then!
The required pixel size maybe comparable with mobile phones - and then it maybe feasible. Altho I'm not sure the mobile screens have enough refresh rate.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

ysu wrote:
GT VIRUS wrote:As 8k isn't really there even for monitors yet, I don't expect this to be here soon. Hope my DK2 survives till then!
The required pixel size maybe comparable with mobile phones - and then it maybe feasible. Altho I'm not sure the mobile screens have enough refresh rate.
Correct it isn't 8K as the industry would typically say it is but rather 2x 4K screens that alternate between left & right to facilitate the 8K 3D image.
From what RenZ has told me, it could become true 8K once Dual-DP becomes a reality but you'll need some grunt to run it.
For now they are using this Brainwarp feature to simulate an 8K resolution.
Brainwarp: render and display image in a sequence. i.e. For each time, only one eye can see a 4K image. Pimax 8K renders a single 4K image at 150/180 times per second, but users perceive a complete 8K at 150/180 Hz with high frame rate.
Brainwarp boosts refresh rate, reduces latency and decreases GPU pressure for Pimax 8K.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I kinda ignored this headset but some reports from recent demonstrations have put it on my radar. I'm just not sure if I want to be an early adopter or wait until they're properly out and iRacing support comes. The other thing I'm also not sure on is if to go for the 5k or 8k HMD, not sure if the 5k does the alternating display trick, if it's enough to remove SDE and is a fixed 90Hz on each display maybe it's a better option. I'd need a base station but they have stated on their forum you can add USD 75 to your pledge for one.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I'll wait for finished products.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]