Your ride today, yesterday....

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Your ride today, yesterday....

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Jesus. Is it the weight loss or training with a power meter that has launched you up the leader board? I'm dark Carl, really dark. ImageImage
:rofl: Achievement Unlocked! :D

I'll put my neck out and say it's the weight loss in the first instance. Results gained through that have encouraged me to ride more, resulting in more weight loss and improved strength etc. So it's somewhat circular. I would hazard a guess that I wouldn't have come close to getting the most out of training with a power meter yet!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

It makes it tough to be competitive when I only get a couple of goes every 12 months, but damn, that time is fast!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

FINALLY going to be able to give this a go on the weekend. Ive updated the opensource maps on the Garmin with navigation enabled and have the route entered so I can try and get in as much of this network in my first ride and not get lost as I only have a few hours up my sleeve.

https://www.strava.com/routes/10723803
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:It makes it tough to be competitive when I only get a couple of goes every 12 months, but damn, that time is fast!
I'm pretty pleased with myself :D
Just think, if you hadn't utterly whipped me up the climbs the last time you were over here, I might never have been spurred into action ;)
KNAPPO wrote:FINALLY going to be able to give this a go on the weekend. Ive updated the opensource maps on the Garmin with navigation enabled and have the route entered so I can try and get in as much of this network in my first ride and not get lost as I only have a few hours up my sleeve.

Enjoy! Melrose is awesome :D
I think one of my work colleagues is heading over there too (maybe this weekend) as a Melrose first timer.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

CLP wrote:Enjoy! Melrose is awesome :D
Blown away how good that place is. Town was out of control how many mountain bikers were around, and it wasn't even one of the festival weekends!

Had a blast, so glad I programmed a route into the Garmin to make the most of my time. Managed to ride 95% of what is available in the main part of the network. I intentionally left out Big Ruha, Bear Pit & Edge Loop on the southern face and missed out a portion of Helrose (Out the Back) as I was having too much fun and missed the intersection, looks like I missed a portion of Benchin when I rode it as I opted for the Bannockburn Bypass to get to the start of Dodging Bullets.

Mad trail network. Loved how technical and narrow it is. Keeps you on your toes.
Once I got my eye in I was hitting drop offs blind not knowing what the landing was like and managed to get out crash free with a massive smile on my face. Managed to score a top 10 cup on Don's Summit Down which was a huge surprise.

My improved fitness payed off big time, rode 30k and didnt even feel knackered.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1209481239
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Best place ever!

Sent via a computational networked mobile device
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Enforcer-J wrote:Best place ever!
Sure is, makes me sad at the amount of berms a certain someone has installed at Cobblers...
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Really enjoyed Greener Pastures at Melrose.
Riding these trails for the first time with no one to follow and NFI whats on the other side of obstacles was a lot of fun. Next time ill have to remember to carry some more speed for the first two drop/jumps.

The rocky outcrop at 0:48 almost caught me out completely but I managed to spot a chicken line off to the right. You can only just hear me say "thats a case of get fucked"

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:Really enjoyed Greener Pastures at Melrose.
Great stuff. can't say that i'd normally ride those trails as fast as you do, but certainly enjoy the setup they have there. :)

If you get some more time there next time, head to Bartagunyah winery and check out their trail network also. There were plans to link the Melrose and Bartagunya trails, but i'm not sure if they have done that yet!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Went for a cruisy pedal last night and half way thru decided to attack a climb to see how my fitness was going. Usually I just spin up the hills and save energy but thought give it a shot!

My first attempt was the Zig Zag fire trail climb at Cobblers and I was already 8-9 seconds down on my previous PB when I started giving it full beans. I attacked the turns and was coming out of them with waaaaay more momentum to the point that during the climb I was having to upshift. Finished that climb with a PB improvement from 4:14 to 3:36.

That was a surprise considering I was down before I attacked so I thought ide give the 2.4k Full Babbler climb an attack since the last PB was set in September 2016.

From the first few 100 meters I managed to get ontop of the time and my fitness allowed me to push for the duration. Half way up I was 30 seconds up and still improving so stuck at it and dug deep. Finished the climb with a PB improvement from 12:05 to 10:11 - 1 min 54 second gain and managed to make it to 12th overall.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1222250769

https://www.relive.cc/view/1222250769
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

That's awesome work Knappo! :) maybe time to step up to some XC (or CX!) races? :) or think about doing the BikeSA Dirty Weekend next year? :)

Fortunately, it was a pretty awesome evening for a ride last night, so I headed up the Old Freeway to Mt Lofty. :)
At the beginning of the year I set myself the (semi-modest) goal of 8,000km for the year. Well, last night I ticked over 8,000 km for the year, just a little bit ahead of schedule! :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1223537656
norbs

Post by norbs »

Killing it this year, both of you bastards. :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Its nice to be able to do climbing some justice. Feeling pretty strong on the bike lately especially going uphill.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1232871669

I targeted the two KOMs as one was mine but got beaten a few weeks ago and the other I thought Ide be able to take as i'm climbing well. What came as a bigger surprise were a few of the 2nd cups, I was just trying to beat my PB and my legs were already smashed from the KOM attempts beforehand and the 39k running I had done last week has caught up with me... Especially Martindale Reserve Climb, took almost a minute off my PB in the 1.1k segment.

Will have to revisit them with fresher legs and possibly the hardtail but the quickest times are bloody quick.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

So since I got married earlier in the days on the bike got lower and lower.

Finally decided it was time to get back into Gym/riding, started off by doing the Brisbane 2 Gold Coast.. Woke up at 4am and it was bucketing down, ended up getting to the start line and the sun peaked out, about 5km in it started bucketing down for the first 80km, including some roads flooding and having to do some mid ride cyclocross to cross a flooded road.
When I got to the 80km mark, we then had a 45km/h headwind to finish it off. Ive done way longer and hiller rides, but with my current fitness that was by far the hardest ride ive ever been on.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1230498930
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Swag of gold cups on that one ....well done!
norbs

Post by norbs »

Well done Nutty. Wish I could Kudos more than once.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I have some friends who drove up from Adelaide to do that ride. It sounded crazily epic from their description. Your photos really brought home how epic it was! :o

Kudos+
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Had a great ride with one of my twins (Adam) yesterday. 7k down Dry Creek on paved paths and singletrack on his BMX.
He's a tough cookie. Had two solid stacks and just brushes himself off and goes again. His brothers would have wanted to pull the pin I reckon.

Was funny, his 2nd stack came at a place I have ridden past easily over 100 times. I looked up and saw this cool arse tree that had fallen over years ago, re rooted itself and kept growing. Cant believe I had never seen it before but it makes the best chill out spot and ill have to revisit it again on our rides down Dry Creek as it the perfect pit stop location.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Great photo!!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

For the first time in 2 years I havnt had much time on the bike, busy around the home with jobs and enjoying some more video game time which is something ide stopped in the quest to loose weight. Feels weird but it has been nice to have a break, and not wear components out so bloody fast lol.

Still making time for lunch runs tho as they fit into life a bit easier. Where I work there is a dirty big rail yard which has always impacted the available routes to take. Well today I thought fuck it, im running around that bastard!

Should have taken me 30-32 mins but there is a garden store at the end of the road which had its gates closed so had to run around it which pushed the distance out to 7k. Heat got the better of me at 5.5k and I just couldn't keep the sub 5min per k pace going.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1292282459
https://www.relive.cc/view/1292282459
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

mid-late last week I started feeling pretty flat and run down, to the point where I was worried that I might be heading towards a cold. So after a weekend of struggling to get out of bed I decided to test myself after work yesterday evening. Glad I did, as I smashed out my 3rd fastest Norton Summit time.. and another sub 19 minute climb. :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1301537053
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Something that I realised was that I have been setting a lot of my recent Norton Summit times on my older road bike. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with it, it's actually a really sweet bit of kit. That said.. I do have my Pinarello sitting there, and the weather was fantastic today.. so why not get out there? :D

I wasn't really sure how this would go, but I did give it a bit of a nudge heading up the hill. Long story short, I managed to knock off 22 seconds from my previous Norton Summit PR. 17:55 .. frickin' stoked. :vibes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1308626871

I've also now clocked up 10,000km for the year too! time for a lay down i reckon :D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Cough!!! This hurt way too much...
But I guess after 33 months off it was always going to. :eyepop:
Funnily enough this was my 1300th activity on Strava. :rofl:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Duke wrote:Cough!!! This hurt way too much...
But I guess after 33 months off it was always going to. :eyepop:
Funnily enough this was my 1300th activity on Strava. :rofl:
Welcome back stranger! ;)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Nice day for it yesterday :)
https://www.strava.com/activities/1331241114
also getting used to my new (to me) GoPro 5. Reckon the on-bike shots coming out of it are much better than my old canon compact, plus it's waterproof :D