2018 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: 2018 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX

Post by Duke »

w00dsy wrote:My wife has labelled him Max Verstackin.
That's bloody brilliant!!!
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

:rofl:

Back in the day a mate of mine would call Max's Dad Jos Vergraveltrappen.
:teach:
Montey

Post by Montey »

This was my tweet from last night:

... and I still can't think of what people expect Dan to have done differently. Daniel's only options were to either a) not race, or b) allow so much compensation for Max's ineptitude as to effectively be doing option a.

Daniel is quoted as agreeing that he could have broken earlier, but that is option a (and I think he only said it for team politics). There is no way anyone should expect Daniel to play the role of the #2 driver, especially when he is clearly the better driver (regularly out qualifying, out racing, and out finishing Max), so how anyone can expect Daniel to brake earlier when he had clearly opened the door is ridiculous.

Those saying that Daniel locked his breaks had their comment addressed during last night's post-race commentary on SkyF1. When Max moved back over in front of Daniel he dramatically impacted the aero across Daniel's front wing which automatically meant his tyres would lose traction and would then lock. If Max hadn't of made the 2nd movement Daniel would have easily made the corner and completed the move.

When Daniel had previously got ahead of Max (with another excellent overtake), Daniel had quickly gapped Max - so when Horner said that neither driver gave the other driver enough room, he was talking out of his arse.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Verstackin son of gravelstappen :D

VTRacing wrote:As someone who is half-Dutch, I feel entitled to say Max is a c**t.
I been waiting for the Max circle jerk to end from the first time he pulled a c**t move on someone. It's taken years for some people to come around and stop with the typical "oh but he makes racing exciting"
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:Verstappen said he didn’t want the team to stop him fighting Ricciardo on the track in the future.

‘‘We will learn from this and have to make sure it doesn’t happen again,’’ Verstappen said.[/i]

Learn from it? Fuck me dead.

Funny that Max's balls up 2 weekends ago was men to be a 'life lesson' that he was suppose to learn from...

Also, I was surprised that his apex short cut in the opening laps was pretty much ignored.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Australia - spins in the race.
Bahrain - crashes in Q2. Retired from race after coming together with Hamilton
China - runs off road trying to go around outside of Hamilton. Crashes into Vettel.
Baku - crashes in FP1. Retires in race after incident with Ricciardo.

That's 7 incidents in 4 weekends.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Who's daughter does Yos have in his basement?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Grosjean dropping it behind the safety car was fucking hilarious!
Minister for Religious Genocide.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Good race.

I think DR has to take a good chunk of the blame - he gambled on Max falling for the dummy but he didn't. Also, you have to take who you're passing into account when trying on a move like that. If he'd tried it on Alonso or Hamilton they'd have been smart enough to get out of the way. Max is way too unpredictable to try a move like that on.

And poor BOT.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Dr. Pain wrote:Grosjean dropping it behind the safety car was fucking hilarious!

Ericsson hit me!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Red Bull Formula 1 drivers Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo have both been given a reprimand by the FIA for their part in the collision that put them out of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

The team-mates were summoned to see the race stewards immediately after the race in Baku to examine whether either of them had been at fault for their crash at Turn 1.

Following discussions with the drivers and team representatives, the FIA deemed that both the Australian and the Dutchman were equally to blame for what happened - resulting in both being given their first official reprimands of the current season.

In a statement issued by the stewards, they noted that Verstappen had made two moves to defend his position - but they added Ricciardo also played his part in what happened by braking so late.

"Both drivers contributed to the collision," said the statement. "The driver of car 33 [Verstappen] made two moves, both of which were relatively minor.

"The driver of car 3 [Ricciardo] admitted he left his move to overtake on the left, too late.

"It was obvious to the stewards that although the incident had its origins in the moves by car 33, the driver of car 3 also contributed to the incident.

"Both drivers expressed regret about their respective contributions to the incident, during the stewards' hearing."
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

On the second restart Gasley was close to being airborne for a second time in the weekend thanks to KMag

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... aijan.html

:yikes:
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

My Flickr Stream
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Didn't anyone else notice that at the point the Ric realised he had no way of avoiding max he let go of the brakes and just sent it into the back of him. I'm surprised the telemetry didn't pick that up, but the onboard shots to me, make it clear he just said fuck it, screw you dipshit.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

His brakes were locked the whole time from the sudden loss of downforce.

I've been thinking about this a bit this week and I think the team should take some of the blame. After the wheel bumping earlier they should have told them both on the radio to stop trying to pass in the corners and only pass on the main straight using DRS. Whoever is in front at the braking zone gets the corner and then the rest of the lap, then the other person can have a go on the front straight again.

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah when I watched the highlights on youtube you could see it brewing throughout the race, especially with how aggressive Max was with his defending, Dan was going to have to really put it on the line to get past. The other thing is with Dan supposedly braking so late he wasn't going to make the corner, if that were true then Max wasn't going to make it either.