The chinese social credit system

all the ARSE dribble
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

The chinese social credit system

Post by ysu »

This is properly scary reading, guys.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-18/c ... p/10200278
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: The chinese social credit system

Post by norbs »

Some days I feel so despondent with this sort of shit.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah I heard about this a while ago, it's completely Orwellian. Maybe I'm just a pessimist but I think we'll eventually see similar things here but in a different guise. I haven't watched either but I think The Orville or Black Mirror had a story on almost the exact same thing as this Chinese system.

I watched a good anime a while ago called Psycho Pass, a little bit different to this but a similar all encompassing system could evaluate your propensity to commit crime or recognise from your mental state when you are about to commit a crime. Check it out.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I think it was both the Orville and Black Mirror that had these credit system things.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

There seems to be a worrying trend to authoritarianism when governments are presented with these new digital techs.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

What's even more worrying is the average person seems completely ok with this trend towards authoritarianism thinking it will keep them "safe".
pab

Post by pab »

In a way though, we already have this, but controlled by large corporations rather than governments.

The major supermarkets, the banks, and Visa combined know pretty much what we buy and how much we spend on it. They then use that information to decide whether they'll offer us credit, what and how they'll market products to us, etc.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
norbs

Post by norbs »

pab wrote:In a way though, we already have this, but controlled by large corporations rather than governments.

The major supermarkets, the banks, and Visa combined know pretty much what we buy and how much we spend on it. They then use that information to decide whether they'll offer us credit, what and how they'll market products to us, etc.
Bring on the crypto currencies :) Those VISA/MC/AMEX arseholes can blow it out their arses then. :yikes:
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

pab wrote:In a way though, we already have this, but controlled by large corporations rather than governments.

Add insurance companies to the list

https://venturebeat.com/2018/09/19/john ... -policies/
John Hancock, one of the oldest and largest North American life insurers, will stop underwriting traditional life insurance and instead sell only interactive policies that track fitness and health data through wearable devices and smartphones
Policyholders score premium discounts for hitting exercise targets tracked on wearable devices such as a Fitbit or Apple Watch and get gift cards for retail stores and other perks by logging their workouts and healthy food purchases in an app.