2018 FORMULA 1 SINGAPORE AIRLINES SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

pab

Re: 2018 FORMULA 1 SINGAPORE AIRLINES SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

Post by pab »

I wonder how much effort and thought goes into designing a car that produces as much turbulence as possible out the back of the car to make them as difficult as possible to follow?
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Indycars use ground effects and they're not quicker around corners then an F1. You just have to limit the amount you get from above and below the car.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

But it's F1 Woodsy and they will push it beyond anything Indycar do even with limits in place. Maybe they need to test it and see, I don't know.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Ground effects aren't on the current cars because certain teams who were already onto a good thing aero wise blocked a total change with the 2017 aero rules. Total self interest as usual.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

As much as I’m a Ferrari fan, they seem to be the biggest offenders of blocking regs that would actually benefit the sport. Honestly I think they should tell the teams to go jump if they don’t like it. They went in the right direction a few years ago when they reduced aero, and gave them more mechanical grip. Now it seems to have crawled it’s way back in, and the same issues have returned. I’ve also wondered about ground effects and it seems like it would be a workable solution. Fingers crossed 2021 levels the field somewhat, at least for a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk