Bring on 2019...

all the ARSE dribble
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Bring on 2019...

Post by AstrO »

Hey ARSE crew, long time no chat.

As some of you know it's been a fairly shit year for my family, with my partner having a bad stroke that she won't ever fully recover from and my son being diagnosed with leukaemia. So it's time for a change next year and I need to get back into my sim racing hobby, if only to keep me positive.

So the first question is, what has everyone moved to? I have Assetto Corsa & Project Cars 2 if that helps. I also have Forza Horizon 4.

Then comes the next question, is FNF still going strong?

PS missed racing you guys!
pixelboy

Re: Bring on 2019...

Post by pixelboy »

Wow, that's a really shit year. Sorry to hear hear that mate.

We do a bit of PCARS 2 on Fridays. We chat over discord. I'll find the details.
eek
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I still have discord connected to the arse channel, all good :)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Woodsy was telling me just the other day Astro. Sorry to hear that mate.

I hope 2019 is a way better year for you and the family.

I'll be back to FNF once I get my PC replaced, hopefully under insurance. Lost 2 in 2 days. A new power supply fixed the mining rig, but didnt resurrect the gaming PC.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

2018 can't fuck off fast enough Astro! I have an aunt who had a bad stroke and mum died 2 weeks later at the beginning of the year. 4 months on cousin died from an accident (eldest son of my aunt who had the stroke). 3 weeks later dad's younger bro's wife died from cancer. Hit September and my dad's youngest sister tried to off herself. Add months of depression over mum's loss and I'm spent. So 2018 can go fuck itself, and xmas too! :grumpy:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Dr. Pain wrote:2018 can't fuck off fast enough Astro! I have an aunt who had a bad stroke and mum died 2 weeks later at the beginning of the year. 4 months on cousin died from an accident (eldest son of my aunt who had the stroke). 3 weeks later dad's younger bro's wife died from cancer. Hit September and my dad's youngest sister tried to off herself. Add months of depression over mum's loss and I'm spent. So 2018 can go fuck itself, and xmas too! :grumpy:
:(

That sucks balls! 2018 was truly a shit year. :no:

One thing that I would recommend if you haven't done it yet is to get on a mental health plan for some support. I was lucky (???) in that when my son was diagnosed with leukaemia I had just started on antidepressants (as I wasn't doing well). And with all the education about looking after kids with cancer (and getting my son to do things he really doesn't want to or understand why), it really helped me through the last few weeks.

by the way do you guys remember when Sam was supporting the Childhood Cancer Association on his Porsche? Well they are one of many charities that are now helping support us through my sons cancer treatment, so that is awesome!
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

norbs wrote:Woodsy was telling me just the other day Astro. Sorry to hear that mate.

I hope 2019 is a way better year for you and the family.

I'll be back to FNF once I get my PC replaced, hopefully under insurance. Lost 2 in 2 days. A new power supply fixed the mining rig, but didnt resurrect the gaming PC.
Thanks norbs, sucks about the computers. :(
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I had about 7 months of antidepressants Astro. Only just come off them a month ago. Counselling helped too. But I'm ok with it all now but I am different from it. I was caring for my mum in her last few months and it's something that's always going remain and get me from time to time. Getting help is the key to get through it and there are some really people and organisations out there willing to help.

I hope your son does well. Kids are pretty tough. Life can feel relentless when it throws things at you in bundles. Things go so well for so long and then bam! It feels like the worst kick in the nads ever and if the blows keep coming it feels like hell and you feel alone. FNF did help me through out the year. A bit of a laugh and that little escape goes a long way. But like I said, I am different from it. I'm a lot more bitter towards almost everything.
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Sorry to read some of the above stories. I hope things do improve.

I’ll try and be a bit more positive as my Nanna died a few months before my wedding. The wedding however was great and was a great party. I also got to be involved in my mates wedding which was great to hang with the boys again like the old days.

Port Adelaide however, yep 2018 was horrible and I hope they improve and ditch that rubbish game plan.

I think a few of our cricketers want to move onto 2019!

After a ten year absence I’ve returned to sim racing (and here) via iRacing. I’m hooked and can’t get enough. New PC, triple monitors, decent wheel and pedals with a cockpit. Loving it all so far.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Shit, I thought we had a bit of bad luck when wifey ruined her healthy knee at skiing. The other was fucked up already. Now she had one knee op, and another coming later to fix the 'old bad' knee that's giving her constant pain (arthritis hit in due to missing cartilage). But now I think we have it easy here.

Best of luck to everyone for the new year !
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I felt so sorry for you when I read about the young fella Astro. As if this year wasnt hard enough already for you. My 2018 has been my worst mentally and physically, but no one died and no one got sick for a change so that's been good. After many different anti depressants and coming close to ending it all I eventually went and got the mental health plan from the docs and started therapy. So far it's worked perfectly. Big shout out to Santaria who has been quietly helping me in the background. He's a master of white goods and helping people through tough situations. Hopefully 2019 is good to everyone here.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

It’s sad to read all the mental health issues in here.

I don’t know you guys or some of your real names other than a username from racing in LFS ages ago. I’m glad there is help and it is working.

I have investigated a lot of suicides in the last ten years from a coronial perspective and everything is so different for each individual. There’s no turning up to the doctor and a 5 mins chat, prescription, go home and rest scenario for everyone having the same common cold. It’s complex and that individual’s story differs so much to the next.

I can only say to anyone ever contemplating it that the families I meet are absolutely devastated and shocked and hurt that they couldn’t prevent it. I’m glad you guys are speaking up about it.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I'm planning to use my experiences from this to become a counsellor. I like having a chat and and there is a lot of people out there needing help.

I've had a childhood friend commit suicide and his sister drank herself to death at the age of 40. You never stop asking why. It's not a path anyone should go down.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

w00dsy wrote:Big shout out to Santaria who has been quietly helping me in the background. He's a master of white goods and helping people through tough situations.
Santa needs way more more credit. He has been checking in with me constantly and it's much appreciated! Bloody legend!

I can also recommend seeing someone, as I've found even just talking about it helps me a lot. Although I'm going to have a lot to talk about at my next appointment as my last one was the week before his diagnoses.

The problem I had before my son's diagnosis was that my partner had changed a lot since her stroke, and I feel like all the things I loved about her have changed. And I'm really struggling with that, as well as raising 2 kids, running the house and working.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

AstrO wrote:
w00dsy wrote:Big shout out to Santaria who has been quietly helping me in the background. He's a master of white goods and helping people through tough situations.
Santa needs way more more credit. He has been checking in with me constantly and it's much appreciated! Bloody legend!
Thanks boys.

You deserve a thanks too Woodsy. You hold me accountable to my own stuff and it sucks, lol.

If anyone is ever in a place and you need to talk, please don't hesitate to PM here or find me on Facebook: Shaun Comber. I'm generally available all the time.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

AstrO wrote:Hey ARSE crew, long time no chat.

As some of you know it's been a fairly shit year for my family, with my partner having a bad stroke that she won't ever fully recover from and my son being diagnosed with leukaemia. So it's time for a change next year and I need to get back into my sim racing hobby, if only to keep me positive.

So the first question is, what has everyone moved to? I have Assetto Corsa & Project Cars 2 if that helps. I also have Forza Horizon 4.

Then comes the next question, is FNF still going strong?

PS missed racing you guys!
Hey Astro, I had no idea. I really hope your 2019 is much better.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Hey lads

Just read through the thread and yes, I hope 2019 brings you a much better year.

Stay safe
Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
--------------
Stu
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

Not a good read, poor health / depression is the pits, fingers crossed & good thoughts for you all in 2019 & beyond.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

How's the ticker going Macca? Still getting those pains that wake you up?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Fingers crossed for you and your family Astro.. here's hoping for a much better 2019. You all certainly deserve a break.

On the mental health front that many of you have been talking about.
All I can do is repeat what everyone else has been saying; take care of yourselves and those around you.

My dad took his own life in October 2006. What I can say is that even 12 years on, the pain is still very real. While you can put it to the back of your mind for a while, allowing you to enjoy the present, it's always there. It's changed my outlook on life to a significant degree, sometimes for the better, sometimes not. Many things have moved on, repaired, healed as best they can but they tend to resurface, particularly around family focused holidays such as christmas.

I know he was on antidepressant medication at the time. As is turned out, both my brother and a close friend were also on the same medication. While I have no first hand experience, their description of it's effects were that it makes you feel like you can succeed at anything.... including taking your own life. :( So be very careful if you're on that path.

I wrote something a few years back to try to clear my head. feel free to read it.. or not.
https://ramblingsofclp.blogspot.com/201 ... -year.html
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Sorry to hear that Carl. Having been at that low point your dad got to you get the twisted idea that you're actually doing your family a favour by getting rid of the problem. You think if you're gone they can get on with life without the burden of you being there, but the reality that's just not true. I thought my family would probably be sad for a couple of weeks and then realise they were better off and then they'd move in with their life. That's how twisted your view of the world becomes.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Life is worth living. So many things to see, enjoy and experience. :)
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Yep, 2018 was not a good one, Family death and Parent having a triple bypass in early Nov, month stay and back in hospital since Boxing day.

The Antis, make everything level, no highs/lows, looking grey.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.