Opal cards and paywave

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Opal cards and paywave

Post by smithcorp »

Since Transport has introduced credit card payments, finding a place to keep my Opal card is driving me mad. I carry a small billfold style wallet and even with the credit cards on the opposite side of the wallet they still clash at the Opal reader.

Even my phone wallet is not an option for the Opal car because if I have paywave on my phone, it clashes. And even after I disabled credit card payments on my phone it only worked until the next time Google 'remembered' my credit card detiails.

If I put some foil-covered card in my wallet, will that separate the Opal card and credit cards enough to let me just put my billfold on the reader and have it detect my Opal card you reckon?
DarrenM

Re: Opal cards and paywave

Post by DarrenM »

I think foil would work. Some suggest foil in the middle of your wallet so you can tap one side for opal card and the other for a different card.

Looks like it was an issue in the UK recently, so there are wallets out there designed to shield credit cards leaving the transport card unshielded for tapping. If you google search "prevent card clash" you'll find plenty on it. There are also rfid shielding sleeves for cards on amazon, but they could make your cc a pain to use.

https://www.koruma.co.uk/en/blog/how-to ... 27204.html
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks Darren
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I have a shielded wallet Smiss.

I watched the guy at our local hardware store show his mate what he could do with the tap eftpos thing. Basically walked up behind him and and charged his card and he didnt know.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I have credit cards on one side and opal on the other..

Always worked for me!
eek
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

That's how i do it too Pix, but i now have to carefully hover the opal card side off the reader. If i bring it to close I get the 'too many cards' warning. I have a nice Il Bissonti billfold and I'm not ready to switch over to a shielded wallet. I'm going to make up a foil card between the Opal and the credit cards and see if that works.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

A bit of card wrapped with foil fixed it!