2019 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: 2019 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

Post by DexterPunk »

Can’t stand Hamilton usually, but I have to admit I thought he showed a lot of class in the way he responded to that win, and making a point of encouraging Leclerc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Cracking race. It reminded me of the late 1990s when the cars broke down regularly. That always meant a level of tension even if somebody was miles ahead.

Vettel making another massive error under pressure. I stand by my stance that his number of championships flatter him, and he's going to get worse if Charles does this regularly too. He did not take it well when Ricciardo spanked him.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Yeah great race. I think this is going to be a cracking season. Red Bull aren't quite up there yet but they're getting close. McLaren look half decent again. The midfield is super tight. And Williams looked a teeny weeny bit closer to everyone else.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

durbster wrote:Cracking race. It reminded me of the late 1990s when the cars broke down regularly. That always meant a level of tension even if somebody was miles ahead.

Vettel making another massive error under pressure. I stand by my stance that his number of championships flatter him, and he's going to get worse if Charles does this regularly too. He did not take it well when Ricciardo spanked him.

Agreed. I honestly think Ferrari should have dumped him last season and gone with Kimi and Leclerc, or possibly even Dan. If Leclerc spanks him this year he’s really not going to look too good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I couldn't bring myself to get up, so just finished watching.
Amazing race which you guys have covered already.
Any idea what Charles meant by saying he wasn't sure on the fuel?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Without the energy from the MGU-H he would have been burning up more fuel on the straights due to being on the throttle for longer.

In the commentary Martin said he should have been pushing hard, but he still had to meet his fuel targets. It looked like he was having to lift and cost more than usual.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Anthony Davidson also pointed out that without the braking properties of the energy recovery system, the brakes were doing all the work so he'd have to manage those temperatures too. I'm loathe to declare the next great driver based on a couple of drives but the more I think about LEC's race, the more impressed I am.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

It reminded me a lot of Hill missing out on his win at Hungary in 97 in the Arrows.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Ah yeah, that was a tough one. I remember seeing him wiggling the car to try and shake it back to life.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Looks like The Clerks engine issue was an injector failure in a cylinder, not the MHU-K.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Key points about the following graph:

1. The graph shows all lap times done by a driver during the entire race, minus laps where the safety car was deployed or laps where they went in or came out of the pits.

2. The graph is ordered by the median, from lowest to highest, depending on the graph.

3. The horizontal line represents the median.

4. The box represent the interquartile range, from 25% to 75%.

5. The top labels show the median for each driver for the entire race.
Stolen from Reddit thread:

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

A previously unseen short circuit caused Leclerc’s Bahrain issues.

A rare short circuit in the injection system control unit was at the centre of Charles Leclerc’s Bahrain Grand Prix engine problems.

“Following the race, the Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow technicians and engineers traced the fault on the car to a short circuit within an injection system control unit,” the statement read.

“This type of problem had never been seen before on the component in question.”

Having conducted a thorough inspection of the power unit, Ferrari says the plan is for it to be fitted back into Leclerc’s SF90 at the next grand prix in China.

“Charles Leclerc will use the same power unit in China that he used for the Bahrain Grand Prix,” the statement explained.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."