2019 FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DU CANADA

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

pixelboy

Re: 2019 FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DU CANADA

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah he finally turned up 10 mins late. Still odd.
eek
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:Yeah he finally turned up 10 mins late. Still odd.
The world revolves around Captain Cornrows, not the other way around Pix.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

They're both the same kind of incident but I don't think either should be a penalty. It's just racing, get on with it and stop being big girls blouses. It shits me how every time an incident happens the driver it mildly inconveniences cries down the radio. I could never imagine Hunt, Mansell etc crying like a little bitch for every minor indiscretion.

Getting punted off from behind like Bright did to Tander and Heimgartner in the TCR this weekend is a different story because it fucked the other drivers races. Lewis had to lift, boo hoo. Pussy.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Imagine how many penalties this would get now. Still some of the best racing we've seen in the modern era, 2 tough guys going at it it terrible conditions and neither of them bitching about it like little girls.

durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

They all get on the radio now because there are more penalties than there used to be. Everyone in F1 is tuned to take opportunities and that happens on and off track. It's no different from the teams challenging regulation infringements.

It brought back memories of this:

Schuey blatantly rams Hill but no penalty given, and Damon graciously accepted the result.

It's worth saying they've been much, much better at dealing with penalties in the last few years. There was a period when every time a hair was knocked out of place somebody would be in the pits for drive-through.

I think what happens is the teams have so much power they can put pressure on stewards to act, which leads to these sorts of consequences creeping back into the sport.

And my final point: yet another error from Vettel under pressure...
w00dsy

Re: RE: Re: 2019 FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DU CANADA

Post by w00dsy »

durbster wrote:And my final point: yet another error from Vettel under pressure...
Definitely. He's so much worse at Ferrari than he was at Red Bull.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2019 FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAND PRIX DU CANADA

Post by Duke »

w00dsy wrote:
durbster wrote:And my final point: yet another error from Vettel under pressure...
Definitely. He's so much worse at Ferrari than he was at Red Bull.
I think he's always been prone to mistakes.
It's just he had bugger all pressure especially outside of his own team at RBR when compared to the last few years.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Let's hope this unfortunate incident & strange decision spurs Ferrari to lift their game.
It might not change much this year but could really motivate & propel them in 2020.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Duke wrote:Interesting read.
As is Brundles recap: https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24096 ... ontroversy
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

As Brundle says, Hamilton did it to Ricciardo and nothing. #blessinfuckingdeed
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Hamilton ran Rosberg off the track at T1 in pretty much every race where they were both on the front row!
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

A bit more detailed analysis from F1 Fanatic:
https://www.racefans.net/2019/06/12/why ... in-canada/

Interestingly, they cite an example where Max did the same thing to Kimi at Suzuka last year and the penalty was the same. And, amusingly, Vettel was behind them and agreed with the decision :D
F1 Fanatic wrote: Vettel, who was following Raikkonen at the time, had a clear view of the incident. And as he pointed out at the time, because Verstappen had gone off the track, it wasn’t Raikkonen who had to get out of the way.

“He’s [Verstappen’s] off the track and he comes back and if Kimi just drives on they collide. But it’s not always right that the other guy has to move.”

Unfortunately Vettel appeared to forget that point on Sunday.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

More bs from RaceFans, I posted the actual video about. Right after that he then went on to say he isnt a fan of penalties
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I read that one this morning and one part stuck out to me in regards to the Suzuka comparison.
Here the only significant difference between the incidents is that Hamilton went off the track to avoid being hit by Vettel, whereas Raikkonen stayed on the track and was hit by Verstappen. The penalties were the same.
Did Hamilton REALLY go off track to avoid being hit?
The front on image shows Hamiltons car beyond the white line and all over the kerb and concrete/tarmac portion between the kerb and the wall, but thats the line they take on the corner exit here. Its not deemed as going out of bounds in qualy or the race, no one was given warnings about using the sealed surface beyond the kerb but for some reason in this incident its being cited as going off the track to avoid contact.

Also, if that section of track is to be considered "off track" IF Vettle left him an extra foot and Hamilton squeezed around the outside the pass would have been made on a piece of race track considered to be out of bounds.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Hamilton was going for a gap that was disappearing by the millisecond. I wouldn't say Vettel forced him off the track in any way.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

KNAPPO wrote:I read that one this morning and one part stuck out to me in regards to the Suzuka comparison.
Here the only significant difference between the incidents is that Hamilton went off the track to avoid being hit by Vettel, whereas Raikkonen stayed on the track and was hit by Verstappen. The penalties were the same.
Not directed at you Knappo at all but some people are so dumb, to say this is the only significant difference between the incidents is total bollocks. Max missed the corner but he was essentially in complete control of his car, the chicane he cut did not have any grass and was a totally level surface with what looks like fake grass stuck to concrete or tarmac. The kerb he drove over was quite shallow and rather than continue his direction, safely cut the chicane and re-enter the track, he turns right and re-enters at a very sharp angle and then bumps Kimi side on when they're almost completely level with each other. The two incidents are more different than they are alike, it's mind boggling how people come up with this bullshit :melt:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Sarsippius wrote:
KNAPPO wrote:I read that one this morning and one part stuck out to me in regards to the Suzuka comparison.
Not directed at you Knappo at all but some people are so dumb, to say this is the only significant difference between the incidents is total bollocks. Max missed the corner but he was essentially in complete control of his car, the chicane he cut did not have any grass and was a totally level surface with what looks like fake grass stuck to concrete or tarmac. The kerb he drove over was quite shallow and rather than continue his direction, safely cut the chicane and re-enter the track, he turns right and re-enters at a very sharp angle and then bumps Kimi side on when they're almost completely level with each other. The two incidents are more different than they are alike, it's mind boggling how people come up with this bullshit :melt:

Well said and I completely agree. It looks like Max was trying to do the right thing by not blowing thru the chicane in a straight line and minimise the chances of a penalty but didnt factor in the possibility of a car behind him getting into the mix. Max's off track excursion was a lot slower place than Vettel's. Max had already done his stopping, Seb dropped the rear at a critical point of the corner and fired off at a much higher speed/trajectory and over ground that compromised his cars handling and no contact was made, bravo, no harm, no foul, play on...

When the they have to make shitty comparisons to justify the crap stewarding application of the rule you are kinda clutching at straws. Treat each incident in isolation and factor in the environment (part of the circuit and its layout) in which it took place.

Makes me wonder if they will finally pony up the cash to appoint permanent race stewards and stop the revolving door system of the local motoring club(s) vote for Jean Todt and we will reward one lucky member a job for one weekend a year.