How much data does iRacing use?

iRacing
somebloke

How much data does iRacing use?

Post by somebloke »

I recently moved house and like all things internet related here in Australia it sucks that in 2019 i am unable to get any internet at my new house for perhaps 6 months until the NBN connects my house (newly built subdivision).

Short story i put together my sim rig today which is working fine and i thought i would hotspot the mobile phone to check that everything was working fine, which it is.

Of course laughable also that i get better internet speeds through that (4G Network) then you would a lot of other connection types here in Australia.

My question is: How much data is someone typically downloading in an hour long session of racing in say IMSA 45 mins races, Le Mans 60 mins races? I am trying to gauge what my data usage could be.

Cheers for any help.
Sarsippius

Re: How much data does iRacing use?

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm not really sure but I don't think it would be very much, a few megabytes, a few hundred megabytes?? Remember people used to race on dial up back in the day. Aside from just joining a race and monitoring it I think there are a few things you can do to reduce the amount of data, reducing the max number of cars in settings will reduce the data usage as far as i know, there is also a setting in 'My Account' where you can adjust your connection speed, I believe this will affect how much data is sent.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I doubt the data whilst racing would be much but the killer might be the updates, one coming next week for instance. there was a forum thread recently of a guy getting stung for hundreds of dollars of excess data in a similar situation.
XLV SPORT
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Definitely wary of the update as that will be quite large. New tracks are very detailed and new cars aren’t too bad in size.

Thinking I may increase the phone data to accomodate no internet here.

18GB between the two of us isn’t going to last a month at the current cut down rate we are doing.