2020 F1 car launch/testing

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: 2020 F1 car launch/testing

Post by w00dsy »

If they can't copy it they'll get it banned.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

The innovative steering system introduced by Mercedes for this season will be banned from 2021.

Mercedes have been cleared to use the system for 2020 and technical director James Allison hopes it will "bring an advantage during the season".

But the rules are changing for 2021 in such a manner that the system would not be legal under the new regulations.

Michael Masi, race director of governing body the FIA, confirmed the rule change on Friday.

This is allowed under the 2020 rules because the relevant clause says only: "The front wheels are adjusted solely by the steering and under the full control of the driver."

But the 2021 rules contain a clause which says: "The alignment of the front wheels must only take place through a constant function of a rotational movement of a single steering wheel."

This would outlaw the push-pull motion of the Mercedes system.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

My Flickr Stream
w00dsy

Re: RE: Re: 2020 F1 car launch/testing

Post by w00dsy »

Big Kev wrote:
This is allowed under the 2020 rules because the relevant clause says only: "The front wheels are adjusted solely by the steering and under the full control of the driver."

This is something Scarbs raised in a video yesterday. Does the toe in/out fall under steering or suspension? Because suspension isn't allowed to be adjusted from inside the car, steering obviously is.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I suspect that's what the other teams will try and protest with. There is also a suggestion that as the wheels turn, the ride height will change a little bit and you're not allowed to be able to do that as a driver either.
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Hmm. Unless there's something in the rules that says the steering wheel can only move on one axis I don't think the protests will hold up. Ultimately, the wheels are not doing anything they don't do already.

It's brilliant, and surprising from the one team that probably doesn't need to do things like that.

I think they'd be better going at it from a safety point of view, as safety aspects are always a bit more accommodating i.e. what if the driver accidentally pulls the wheel mid-corner and understeers into a puppy sanctuary?
w00dsy

Re: RE: Re: 2020 F1 car launch/testing

Post by w00dsy »

durbster wrote:Hmm. Unless there's something in the rules that says the steering wheel can only move on one axis I don't think the protests will hold up. Ultimately, the wheels are not doing anything they don't do already.
Apparently it may breach parc ferme rules which says the suspension settings can't be changed once qualifying is over. This is the grey area of whether it's classed as steering or suspension.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Looks just like a bought one.

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Renault may be protesting it.

Meanwhile at HAAS
petey

Post by petey »

Racing point one has some big differences, can't see much difference on the HAAS
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.