Mused circuit alterations

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Scottie

Mused circuit alterations

Post by Scottie »

I decided to watch the 1983 Belgian GP this morning, the first at the modern(ish) layout at Spa. While watching I got to thinking about Eau Rouge and Radillion, as the cars were going so comparatively slow but still moving about as you'd expect.

It got me thinking. The current setup at the track has got most cars just having a slight lift if any to get through it.
I wonder if it might be worth tightening the corner sequence a bit? It would get cars running slower into one of the most dangerous parts of the track, increase the time viewing the cars for the spectators there, and still have drivers tackling an iconic corner in an aggressive manner and have cars sliding a little more as they scramble for grip less abundant.

Assuming the track barriers can't be moved (let's face it, they cant), I feel the best way to achieve this would be to condense the apexes towards the middle, for lack of a better word. So the first kink be closer to the right-hander, and Radillion come away from the peak of the hill. Drivers would still get plenty of compression at the base of the hill as they navigate what is now hardly a corner in the first kink at all, and Radillion would be a more challenging corner to exit, trying to get power down as cars go over the crest.

I know I'm playing with fire here, suggesting alteration of an iconic corner in world motorsport, but it's arguably saving it from becoming a straight anyway. These alterations would hardly be noticeable from the stands by anyone without a laser scanner, while improving the show and maintaining the challenge for drivers.

Thoughts?
What changes would you make to a circuit on your favourite racing calendar?
Dr. Pain

Re: Mused circuit alterations

Post by Dr. Pain »

It was changed in 1994 but it was a chicane, which killed it completely. That section has had minor changes over the years but the cars are so good now it seems too easy. I would not change it as I feel these types of corners add something to the racing. Racing is dangerous but to restrict it too much kills the appeal.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I watched a YouTube clip that analysed Hubert's death and they went into how much the circuit tightens at Radillion. There's a sharp drop off to the right where the pit lane exits and a building on the left. Technically if they could get rid of the building they could take the earth from the left and put it to the right to create more space on both sides. Vettel had a bad accident there in WSR and he ended up stopped on the track. It could have easily been a trait bad accident if they weren't able to avoid him.

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I agree as in most higher grade race categories the sequence is too easy & flat these days. While it is spectacular it doesn't provide the same excitement as days gone by.
But if they did change it, it needs careful consideration to not ruin it as a great spectacle & make it too safe ruining the excitement for fans & drivers.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."