Long Tan Documentary

Chat about stuff you've seen
Sarsippius

Long Tan Documentary

Post by Sarsippius »

Watched this last night after seeing it mentioned in some comments for another video, definitely a good watch. Narrated by Sam Worthington but I thought that was one of the weaker points, a bit too over dramatic but there was a lot of good interviews with the Diggers describing the events and I believe the real radio recordings of the communications was used. I'm sure there's few strangers to the battle here but it's pretty harrowing stuff and amazing more lives weren't lost, not mentioning all the Vietnamese lives lost.

I'm not a military buff or anything but I have visited the Long Tan memorial, kinda by accident. My wife is from Ba Ria which I never realised is very close to Long Tan. We visited some local war tunnels one time and the older guy looking after the place asked where I was from, after telling him he asked if I'd been to the memorial nearby and mentioned that the Aussie soldiers always had a good reputation from the war.
So we jumped back on the scooters as it was very close by and it wasn't until we got to the memorial that it clicked that it was where the battle of Long Tan took place, if you've seen photos it's a pretty understated memorial at the end of a path/road in the middle of a rubber plantation.

Edit: It seems that the cross is no longer there and is now in the Australian War Memorial.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Re: Long Tan Documentary

Post by smithcorp »

This is a very good military podcast which includes an extensive series on Long Tan (about 8 episodes), including featuring Harry Smith.

https://theprinciplesofwar.com/long-tan ... he-nashos/
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

There is an accurate replica on the original spot, yes original is in the War Memorial.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Walking through the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City was fucking tough going. The deformed fetuses in jars undid me.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.