GPU help

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

GPU help

Post by KNAPPO »

Alrighty brains trust.

Ive been out of the loop for years and my current PC has finally had both 780 GPU's fail... I was getting by with the one 780 but now both have gone I NEED to replace my GPU and im hoping to not have to upgrade the mobo or CPU.

Current system framework:
Motherboard: ROG Maximus VI Extreme (90MB0DS0-M0UAY5)
CPU: Intel i7-4770K
Power Supply: Thermaltake 1275W

Im wondering what my ceiling is with GPU's these days (ie I dont think it'll take a 2xxx series card) as im aware my mobo and cpu and quite old now and the newer GPU's are probably not supported. I'll be running 3 1080p screens so not pushing crazy res and as I said, the 780 had been getting me by, dropping it back to single screen for games like Battlefield V, Cyberpunk 2077, Farcry 5 but for basic sim racing I was able to go with triples.

My budget is around $500 and im currently thinking along the lines of a GTX 1660Ti but im not sure if this will work with my mobo and CPU.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
DarrenM

Re: GPU help

Post by DarrenM »

I don't see why any pcie 3.0 card wouldn't be fine which means anything up to and including 2xxx cards. You've got the PSU to power it but may need adaptors if you need extra 6/8 pin pci plugs.

A 2060 is a better card and can be had for just under $500. Or maybe a 2nd hand 2070/super?

How much you spend may also depend on whether you think to upgrade the cpu at some point because it may become the limiting factor.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Even the 20 series cards are becoming scarce now. Not like the 30 series, but hardly the range that we had even 6 months back.

The 1660Ti should only use 1 PCI plug. The 3 I have do. The 16 series is known for low power use.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

DarrenM wrote:I don't see why any pcie 3.0 card wouldn't be fine which means anything up to and including 2xxx cards. You've got the PSU to power it but may need adaptors if you need extra 6/8 pin pci plugs.

A 2060 is a better card and can be had for just under $500. Or maybe a 2nd hand 2070/super?
Thanks guys.
So, you now have peaked my interest with a 20xx card. Having a poke around and as Norbs said stocks are hard to find. Most of the sites I checked had nothing but PC Case Gear has a 2060 and 2 2070 supers in stock. Any other sites worth a look. I had a poke around Umart, mwave and PCCG.
Norbs wrote:Even the 20 series cards are becoming scarce now.
I found this ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 Super at PC Case Gear and can make that price tag work.

My current kaput cards are 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 780 which both use a 6-pin PCIe power connector and an available 8 pin PCIe power connector each.

So im assuming ill be fine as the 2070 super requires 2 x 8-pin connections which I already have allocated to the now dead cards, just wont need to connect the 6 pin plugs as well.
Looking at my case NZXT H440 ill be able to fit the 2070 at 230mm as the case has no HDD cage at the GPU location giving me 428mm to play with.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I thought the budget was $500 :D

I think I have a 1080Ti laying around somewhere that stopped mining, but I reckon will still be good for games. Will see if I can dig it up and test it if you are interested.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:I thought the budget was $500 :D

I think I have a 1080Ti laying around somewhere that stopped mining, but I reckon will still be good for games. Will see if I can dig it up and test it if you are interested.
That would be awesome Norbs.

Yeah the budget it $500 but I have coin aside for my new aquarium build that has been screwed over with covid stock, can't get my tank and cabinet or high end light thanks to manufacturing delays so an extra $500 to get my rig humming along again isn't going to hurt that project.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

My 1080 is starting to really feel it at 1440p these days. Would a 20 series be a reasonable jump? I wouldn't mind a 30 series but fsr out they're expensive.

Running a 7700k at the moment. Sorry to hijack Knappo.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

2070 seems to be only a little bit better than a 1080. 2070 super 15-20% faster which probably wouldn't be all that noticeable. So you'd have to go 2080 or higher and then you're over $1000. I'm going to stick with my 1080 until it dies or I can get a 6800xt or 3080.

1080 vs 2070 and 2070 super
https://www.pcgamer.com/au/geforce-rtx- ... d-you-buy/

I found a refurbished 2080 super for $1000
https://www.jw.com.au/manufacturer-refu ... aphic-card

PCCG has one for the same price as the 2070 super linked above
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/528 ... b-open-box
norbs

Post by norbs »

I dont feel like the 20 series was a huge jump over the 10. The 30 over the 20 however :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Been poking around for a 1080 card but obviously that's pretty much impossible to find in stock. Lots of 1660's tho.

The 2080 at PCCG Darren linked is pretty tempting. Not too sure which way I should go, sticking to around $500 would be good but I can double that if its worth it. I wouldn't be in a position to put together a completely new PC for 1-2 years anyway.

Almost anything is going to be an improvement of the 780's I was running lol.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Knappo, do you need something in the meantime? I have a spare RX 580 you could borrow.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

If you check out the 18 game averages from this review it gives you a pretty good picture of relative performance between current and older cards.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2155-ge ... x-3060-ti/

If you're thinking about spending for a 2070 Super your mad not to get the 3070 instead, same price but 30% more performance.

Scorptec are another reputable seller, I always buy from either them or PCCG

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/gra ... ing-oc-8gd

I actually bought this 3070 from Scorptec to replace my 1080, I was looking at the 3060 ti but they're basically all out of stock whereas you can still get 3070s.

Edit: At 1440p a 3070 @ $1,100 vs a 2060 @ $599 is 80% more performance for 80% more $$, the logical next step from a 2060 is a 3060ti but you can't get those so yeah, pony up lol
A 2060 doesn't even match my 1080 for about the same money I paid like 3 years ago, moral of the story is now is a bad time to buy :melt:
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Nvidia stated in a Q&A that it should have less than a few % performance drop running a PCIE 4.0 card in a 3.0 mobo. Should be compatible at least.

Will customers find a performance degradation on PCIE 3.0?

System performance is impacted by many factors and the impact varies between applications. The impact is typically less than a few percent going from a x16 PCIE 4.0 to x16 PCIE 3.0. CPU selection often has a larger impact on performance.We look forward to new platforms that can fully take advantage of Gen4 capabilities for potential performance increases.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Spent a bit of time messing about with the pc tonight. Took the dead GPU out and noticed in device manager that the remaining GPU was being recognised.

Rolled the dice to update the driver again (removed all traces via DDU the other day) and noticed Nvidia had released a new driver since I ran into strife. Updated and im back up and running. Looks like I had a corrupt driver install...
norbs

Post by norbs »

Just saved yourself a bunch of money :)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Well if you're like me once that seed has been planted it's very hard to deny :D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Sarsippius wrote:Well if you're like me once that seed has been planted it's very hard to deny :D
Yep!

I might just have a solution to said seed that ill end up building a new PC around in a few months time.

I plan on having the current i7 4770k box hooked up to my triple screened Obutto rig and possibly do a budget GPU upgrade to that since the single 780 GTX struggles to feed all 3 1080p screens on newer sims, it handles iRacing fine but AC and PCars 2 is limited. Then put together a new box for graphic design and FPS games (VR ready if I eventually go down that rabbit hole) at tax time this year and run a single 31.5" QHD screen. Possibly 4k but im not certain about that just yet.

Just have to work out what CPU I want to go with.