Use PCMover to transfer programs and files to new PC?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Use PCMover to transfer programs and files to new PC?

Post by smithcorp »

Hi all

I bought a new PC finally, a cleanskin rather than hardware upgrades. I'm tempted for convenience sake to use PCMover to transfer the stuff I want to keep, all the setup I've done over the past 5+ years, from the old PC to the new one. I understand I'll need to get new hardware drivers and stuff, and register some programs, but it seems like a better option than installing from scratch or copying different things across using portable hard drives.

Any risks in this?
Sarsippius

Re: Use PCMover to transfer programs and files to new PC?

Post by Sarsippius »

Personally I'd be a bit wary about transferring anything more than just data files, in my opinion it's not a bad idea to start fresh every now and then. I don't have any personal experience with that software but yeah it's not something I would do.

Last time I upgraded my SSD a few years ago, I went to the trouble of imaging my current windows install so I could load it in a virtual machine if I needed to check some specific application settings or something, but I didn't even really use it. I just load up and install stuff as I need it and I assume you'll have the old pc refer to if there's anything you really have trouble with.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yeah I agree with Sarsippius, If you have both PC's then its way better to just reinstall what you need, copy over your files and move on!
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

If it helps, when I bought a completely new PC last year I simply took my SSD out of the old PC and put it in the new one. I switched it on and Windows did a bit of thinking, rebooted a couple of times and that was it. It's been running completely fine (since last May) so if you're worried about a Windows installation, it's definitely not like the old days!

I was braced to start from scratch. I had a Windows 10 installation USB stick ready to go but thankfully didn't need it. :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks for all the advice - I decided to go cleanskin. So far, so good. i even managed to download and install MSFS2020 overnight.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I think that's wise Smith.
eek