New PC Advice

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

New PC Advice

Post by Rots »

G'day!!

I haven't had a working PC for a couple of years now and want to get back into PC gaming. Mostly for sim racing and eventually Flight Sims, possible some FPS.

I need the advice of ARSE's for decent machine with budget of around $2,000 for case and hardware, plus a decent monitor on top of that.

Cheers!
pixelboy

Re: New PC Advice

Post by pixelboy »

Hey Rots,

If it was me, I'd buy a Dell like this one or similar. I couldn't be arsed with the build and install etc.

Others here will say you can get better value with self builds, and they are right. But I couldn't be arsed :drivingbanana:
eek
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

CPU preference, Team Red or Team Blue?
GPU preference, Team Green or Team Red?

You biggest issue will be getting hold of a decent GPU for a decent price.

So maybe a pre-build is a good idea.
But I'm not a fan of Dell or any other mass supplier as they typically have some form of proprietary form-factor or hardware / software locks which limits future upgrade paths.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

My Dell XPS is pretty vanilla. Its got extra cables and bays for extra hard drives. Extra PCI slots etc.. Its actually better set uyp than any other case MB I've put together. See this review: https://au.pcmag.com/old-desktop-pcs/85 ... ition-8940

But I don't have shares in Dell :lol:
eek
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

In the past my preference for CPU was AMD and GPU was nvidia and MSi versions... but I'm happy for anything decent now.

I'm definitely leaning toward a pre-build, can't be arsed with doing it myself lol.

I've never been a fan of Dell, but that system seams good. Are they upgradeable when components shit themselves like the GPU, PSU?
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Dells are heaps better than 10 years ago. HEAPS!

Bad time to get in now Rots. GPUs are stupid expensive sadly.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Thats good that they've improved Dell's. I definitely have a bias against Dell from nearly 20 years of employers using them exclusively as our work PC'S and laptops.

Bugger, GPUs being expensive is why I've held of for a while. Is there going to be change anytime soon?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

There's been a few things that's slightly helping GPU prices, they are putting out "LHR" version of their main cards, these reduce the amount of money you can mine on crypto therefor meaning they are less desirable for non gamers. There is also finally starting to be a reduction in supply vs demand, prices are still a lot above RRP, but its starting to calm down a bit.

As mentioned by others, pre-built rigs are the way to go, heaps of shops are using their GFX card stock to push pre-built machines vs selling the cards outright.. tbh I haven't looking around of late so sorry I cant help with specifics..
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

The LHR is total bull shit though. it only works for ETH and there are plenty of other profitable coins.

Nutty is right about pre builts. At least you get a card in it.

This isnt a bad system for your money.

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/respaw ... 60-ac45916

I think I am up to 5 pre built PCs from Mwave now. Not the cheapest, but good support.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

There are a lot of people buying Dells just for the GFX cards. Obviously Dell has a well secured supply chain. Look at all of these for sale.. "NEW, Only opened to remove NVIDIA card, still has onboard GFX".
eek