Is 5 Nm enough?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Brett_S

Is 5 Nm enough?

Post by Brett_S »

Looking at the Fanatec CSL DD as a replacement for the G27

Doesn't seem to be any official Nm rating for G27 but from what I'm read it's only 2.3 Nm

Is it worth getting the extra force - either 8 Nm or the DD1? (I doubt I'd get the DD1 anyway from a cost perspective)

Do I need anything else other than this? I'm confused with all the 'add-ons' they keep suggesting

This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: Is 5 Nm enough?

Post by Duke »

You might find this interesting regarding is 5nm enough...

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I upgraded from a CSW v1 which was supposed to be about 5Nm to the 8Nm CSL DD. I think the boost kit was worth it. In iRacing and other titles it was a bit of a struggle to get the light forces strong enough that I could feel them without the top end being all clamped out through high load corners. With the new base I don't have that issue.

Wheel size and weight factor in as well. I use a Round1 which is light and same size as the G27 rim (would prefer 280-300mm rim now). If you go for a larger diameter and/or heavier rim then you'll definitely benefit from 8Nm. The CSW wasn't strong enough for the BMW GT2 rim for instance, but 8Nm drives it fine.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Thanks guys, will look to get the DD + boost kit then when they come back into stock. Only option at the moment is the GT pack but I don't like that wheel.

Got back into iRacing this week and boy do I suck. I'm blaming the PC and Wheel at the moment :)
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I would suggest get as much power as you can afford. You can always turn it down if it is too much. You cant turn the lower end wheels up. This was the advice I gave the bloke below whoi is going for the DD with the boost kit.

Copied from Reiza chat.....

Had a guy here a few weeks back quoting us on some blinds. He saw my rig and lost his mind. He and his dad had just got into AC and love it. He asked a bunch of questions. Long story short, his dad used to race an old Corvette, similar to the one in AMS2. There is also a mod of the exact one for AC. So I invited him around. They have the logitech G29 wheels.

I loaded up AMS2 and the only reason the old bloke got out of the rig is because I made them wear masks and he was getting hot. He was so impressed by the wheel. Loved the pedals too, but said the wheel felt like his old car, HEAVY.

So another person that has sat in my rig and it cost them money. Fucking Fanatec should be paying me. He has asked me if he could have another go in AC, but I dont have it installed on that rig yet.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Road trip to your place to have go?

Might wait till Thrustmaster announce their DD wheel, tho I suspect it will be around the same as the CSL DD - Fanatec are OOS of the CSL DD anyway.

Not sure if I can justify a DD1 or something similar in price.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Brett_S wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:49 pm Road trip to your place to have go?

Might wait till Thrustmaster announce their DD wheel, tho I suspect it will be around the same as the CSL DD - Fanatec are OOS of the CSL DD anyway.

Not sure if I can justify a DD1 or something similar in price.
Completely understand that. It is a lot of money for a hobby.

It seems like everyone that has the CDL DD is happy. So it is probably a safe bet.

And you are more than welcome to come down and have a go. It might hurt the wallet though. ;)
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Thanks Norbs :)

At least I figured out what was going on with iRacing - the wheel settings where off so I had to turn more than I'm used to. Still slow, but not as bad :)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

You'll get used to whatever nm you have. Norbs said it well 'get as much as you can afford'.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Today's the day according to AusPost

I do wonder why Fanatec decided to ship each component separately - all but 1 item says 'It's coming today'

Any bets on what's missing? :D :D
norbs

Post by norbs »

Woodsy went through the same thing.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I did too, received the 8nm power pack by itself then a few days later the rest of the items.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

It just arrived!

If you chose the Quick Release Adapter you have won a prize*

*Prize is a vial of my tears at not being able to use my new wheel over Easter (subject to availability)
pab

Post by pab »

PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Mine was spread out over 2 weeks. The desk clamp was the last thing and it was shit so I ended up 3d printing one.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Fark, 2 weeks

Is there any risk in using the pedals (connect to PC directly) before connecting it to the base?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

they will work yes
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Pedals are working but WTF is the deal with the load cell?

Coming from the G27 pedals it's like a metre of movement to a millimetre! I was expecting a little bit more play at the top of the stroke with it progressively getting harder, this is just rock hard.. :shake:

Tried it for a few hours and did some adjustments to the bushes(?) but still couldn't get used to it. I was putting in slightly faster times but no consistency. I think the time gained was in coming off the pedal quicker.

For now it's a very expensive clutch pedal.

Will re-visit when I get the wheel on.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Do you have it in a sim rig?

Remember load cell is about the force being applied not the distance travelling, it takes a bit to get used to but I promise you will have a noticeable increase in your braking performance.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Yep, I'm in a rig.

I've switched it back now and replaced 2 of the bushes with some foam - I just needed the initial travel to make it feel like I was pushing something.

Before I couldn't get my head around the pressure required to get full braking or not.
norbs

Post by norbs »

It took me weeks to get used to the first V3 fanatecs I had. The same when I got the inverted V3s. And the HE pedals have been in 2 weeks now and I am still coming to terms with them.

Hang in there Brett. It will come to you. You have years of muscle memory to undo.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I had the exact same issue going to load cells. I think new pedals are a much bigger adjustment than any other part to get used to. Took me a few weeks to adjust but I feel like I'm more consistent now. I still don't like the feel though. I prefer it softer.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

w00dsy wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:47 pm I prefer it softer.
I bet you do! :lol:
eek
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Oh man, what a wait!

The QR adaptor finally turned up at 4.30pm today - my last day of holidays.

Managed to get everything installed and got a couple of hours of testing in. So far so good, only tried iRacing and beating most of my lap times already.

Will need to get used to the difference in FF after coming from the G27 - much more to interpret now and my puny cycling arms will need some beefing up :)

I've returned the load cell to its original setting and I'm much happier with how it feels now.

5 may not be enough but 8 Nm certainly is!