The End of Targa Tasmania?

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

The End of Targa Tasmania?

Post by VTRacing »

Following three deaths at the 2021 running of Targa Tasmania, Motorsport Australia has released an investigatory tribunal report compiled by Garry Connelly, Matt Selley and Neal Bates.

It makes for some pretty damning reading and you can see it for yourself here: https://motorsport.org.au/docs/default- ... 43488c85_4

Basically there were two fatal crashes in successive days.

Firstly, Shane Navin died when his RX-7 (car 602) rolled on the Mt Arrowsmith stage and landed upside down in a creek. He couldn't be extracted or extract himself and (presumably) drowned. His co-driver was unharmed.

The following day on the Cygnet stage, Leigh Mundy and Dennis Neagle (car 902) lost control after a jump at 175 km/h, left the road and crashed into trees at a logged speed of 153km/h. Both seem to have been killed instantly, as the roll cage collapsed.

The report finds that speeds in the event have become excessive, with the top cars reaching well over 200km/h on stages, and average speeds in excess of 132km/h. As you can see in the this video of Jason White's Viper, he's topping out at 245km/h or so on this particular stage:

So the cars are capable of immense speeds, but the report also finds that they're not always suited to a bumpy targa stage. The Porsche GT3 RS of Mundy and Neagle had a suspension setup designed for smooth racetracks. In pretty haunting footage, Dennis Neagle posted this video a few days before the fatal crash, where they had a moment over bumps at about 190km/h.

So what's to be done?

The targa organisers are pushing back against the recommendations, which include:
Limiting terminal speeds to 200km/h,
Limiting average speeds,
Making sure cars don't get airborne
Making sure that competitors are equipped to control their cars, from a skill-level point of view,
Improving on-stage communications and car tracking.

Basically, my personal opinion is that the writing is on the wall for Targa as we know it.
:teach:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: The End of Targa Tasmania?

Post by w00dsy »

I'm a little surprised Brock dying didn't put the wheels into motion at the time for Targa style events. The thought being that if someone of his skill died then how will the amatuers go. Personally I wish they'd leave it alone like they have with the Isle of Mann TT. Everyone knows there's a big risk, if they're happy to do it then let them go.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

w00dsy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:56 am Everyone knows there's a big risk, if they're happy to do it then let them go.
Like most safety things though, people really aren't good at estimating their actual risk. Beyond that, their behaviours regularly impact risks to others that neither party have figured in.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Surely a part of the problem is car tech? Like I would imagine a rollcage shouldnt combust on impact?

But yeah I tend to agree, I think making those limitations are going to basically kill it, the last 2 can be done "reasonably" easy, but no idea how you fix the first 3.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Didn’t see this thread until now.

As some know, I was doing tour leader stuff over the last few years. This is non competitive and capped at 130kph. No helmets, no cages and just factory seat belts. I did 12 events I think. Tassie, Mt Buller and Cairns.

The last one we did was Targa High Country at Mt Buller back in February this year. 2nd last stage on the last day, we had an off into the scenery. The car slid on a nothing right hander and went in between 2 large gum trees. The front right hit a tree about the size of Woodsy’s thigh and the tree dropped on the roof drivers side. Airbags went off, the sump ripped off and all the wheels were rooted. Basically the car was fucked. We were ok. Driver had a seatbelt burn on his neck and I had the seat airbag deploy into the back of my arm. We were lucky.

To bring the story on topic if it wasn’t already, that was probably a corner we would have approached at maybe 100kph and the car just didn’t turn. We went a long way off the road. There are so many corners and so may factors, I’m amazed there isn’t more damage to the people. Increase the intensity brought about by competition and increase the speed as well, I think the safety equipment does a starring job but gee it can only do so much. For us, 5 metres left or right was a big tree. It was like we slotted it through the goal posts.

I had crewed for Dennis in the past and he was a nice guy. An iRacer back then too. It was a sad event and I was glad not to be a part of Targa Tas this year. The car he was in was an absolute weapon and the stage they crashed on was practically the owners backyard. I’m not sure how much navigation was going on but my eyes would have been wide shut at those speeds.

Things will/have changed. I see a rival tarmac rally series promoting themselves as the only way to explore your cars full potential. I would expect any rule changes to affect all tarmac rally. Not just Targas. Who knows what will happen long term.

Anyway, there is a story for you. Glad to be here in what was the biggest shunt I have had. The crash had no bearing on us not doing targa anymore, was just a coincidence as politics got in the way soon after. A whole other story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
--------------
Stu
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

It's all over, another driver has died during this year's running of the event.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... competitor

The event has now been downgraded, with all other competitors to complete the course at posted speed limits.

This comes a few days after this announcement from the organisers, that they will be implementing a "superlicence" where competitors must earn the right to compete in the outright event by doing speed-limited or touring versions. https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/04/22/ta ... tragedies/

But I can't see even that saving the event after this incident.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Am i wrong or is it pretty much mostly old blokes that die there? Amateur's with slower reaction times seems like a bad combo on those roads.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

w00dsy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:52 pm Am i wrong or is it pretty much mostly old blokes that die there? Amateur's with slower reaction times seems like a bad combo on those roads.
Yes, it is mostly older blokes who die, but then again it's mostly older blokes who compete there. The main demographic is 45-65 year-old men who now have the money to go and race in the high performance car of their dreams. I mean, to do Targa Tasmania is roughly a $50k exercise without even talking about the cost of the car.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I've got a mate who's doing Targa this year and he obviously said the mood is pretty grim. He's not sure if he'll bother completing the event now it's just at posted speed limits. He's on the Motorsport Australia board so reckons he'll be doing all he can to keep it running but I seriously doubt it'll stack up after this.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Yeah I saw it yesterday and thought of this thread. In one way it's the responsibility of the drivers, but it is public roads. Maybe Targa can move to a closed circuit event instead? Run some obstacles through the infield or something.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]