General F1 news

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Re: General F1 news

Post by nutty »

I do wonder if its just him retiring, like surely he hasnt enjoyed all this shit over the last few months, hes 65.. maybe its time to do go hangout in Monaco on his boat.

With that being said, I know these high end people never retire early. must be a mindset thing
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

And then, of course, the big question is what happens with Max in 2026? New power train, new chassis rules without Newey there to help guide them through.

Red Bull aren't dumb and will have been building depth in their technical departments for when this day came but that is unlikely to assuage all the doubts of Max (and Jos).
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I think Newey will go to Ferrari. He's previously said he regrets not going there when he was offered a position. I can't see the attraction of Aston Martin to make an (albeit great) old timer and a useless privileged thicko in to world champions. But I think the prospect of reviving Ferrari and maybe giving Hamilton one last title could be worth it.

Max could then follow him to Ferrari when Hamilton retires.

If he wants a real challenge, go to Williams!!
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Big Kev wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 pm I think Newey will go to Ferrari. He's previously said he regrets not going there when he was offered a position. I can't see the attraction of Aston Martin to make an (albeit great) old timer and a useless privileged thicko in to world champions. But I think the prospect of reviving Ferrari and maybe giving Hamilton one last title could be worth it.

Max could then follow him to Ferrari when Hamilton retires.

If he wants a real challenge, go to Williams!!
Assuming LH can beat CL. He cant even beat GR right now.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Hulkenberg has signed for Kick Sauber for 2025 on a multiyear deal.
I suspect it'll be him and Sainz in there to get Audi started.

I would think Zhou will be done in F1. Can't really see anyone taking him on and Bottas will probably retire from it and do Nascar or something.
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Yep Hulk to Audi was announced right before the Sauber announcement.

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs

Post by norbs »

Cant they wait til the summer break for all this bull shit :)
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Bearman to Haas then? Be a good testing ground for Ferrari.
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

When Lewis made his announcement, I did wonder whether a Newey move was being done behind the scene and that's what convinced him.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Red Bull have confirmed their design chief Adrian Newey will leave the team in early 2025.

So what do we think? Aston or Ferrari?

I think Ferrari. The HP money will cover the salary. They're desperate to win again and he's said before he would have liked to have worked at Ferrari years ago but passed up the chance.

Aston have offered him a contract. He can live in the UK, he's a fan of Alonso but equally he could be responsible for making Lance Stroll an F1 world champion and that would tarnish any reputation :D

Mercedes and McLaren have already said they're happy as they are and won't be approaching Newey. I'd love to see him say forget the money I'll help Williams back to the top!
My Flickr Stream
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

One thing I find weird about all this, he is a 65 year old man, lives in Monaco, mades hundreds of millions over his life. Has a legacy that leaves him as one of if not the greatest designer in F1 history. What motivates people to start over again? like surely at that age its time to kick back?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

He may still retire. I feel like it's Ferrari or nothing at this point. Seems he's leaving because he's annoyed with the situation at Red Bull rather than an outright desire to work for another team.

Reportedly will be free to go straight to someone else from March 2025 though which is interesting.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
norbs

Post by norbs »

McLaren..... why are they not in the mix? Fair bit of history there. He could design the best car ever and Ferrari could still find a way, "checking now", of losing the WC
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Imagine if he goes to any other team & gets them World Championships quickly, then the age old conversation of "is it the driver or the car" could be answered by "it's the chief designer" who wins Championships... (you could argue that's the case already I guess)
Dukester

Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Latest I've seen is that he is stepping away from F1 altogether to focus on his Hypercar projects, still working with RB.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
norbs

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:19 am Imagine if he goes to any other team & gets them World Championships quickly, then the age old conversation of "is it the driver or the car" could be answered by "it's the chief designer" who wins Championships... (you could argue that's the case already I guess)
7 years of Merc dominance would suggest otherwise. if we are saying Newey is the best.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:
Duke wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:19 am Imagine if he goes to any other team & gets them World Championships quickly, then the age old conversation of "is it the driver or the car" could be answered by "it's the chief designer" who wins Championships... (you could argue that's the case already I guess)
7 years of Merc dominance would suggest otherwise. if we are saying Newey is the best.
I was more referring to his history of winning over such a long period of time with many teams. Image
Dukester