GTR1 & 2, GT Legends etc
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

GTL setups

Post by ysu »

It's time to start a setup thread :-)

For a starter, here's my generic fairly neutral handling alfa set:
http://www.ysuprogramming.com/public/gt ... 0Romeo.svm

on each track the fuel & the gearing must be checked and set accordingly, otherwise it's useful.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Good idea. Here's the setups I currently have. Not all are completely resolved but work pretty well as a base. The Alfa, Capri, BMWs, Falcon & Mini are fairly right though. As with ysu's - modify gearing/fuel to suit. :tilt:

http://www.michael-dunn.com/GTL/
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

What sort of steering ratio do you use? 15 is default right? 15 doesn't seem enough to catch the big slides :D
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Rots wrote:What sort of steering ratio do you use? 15 is default right? 15 doesn't seem enough to catch the big slides :D
I don't use steering to catch the car, usually with throttle you can do it.
It took me 2 hours to get used to it, after LFS, but now I'm having (even more) problems with LFS :(

It's just great to be able to use your feet for driving! :D

Edit: so yes 15 is enough.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yep, I use default steering ratio too. Like, ysu says - it's all in the right foot.
Speed

Post by Speed »

I would post my setup file but at the moment it would only serve to confuse people, I know it confuses me. And also since we upgraded our computers we're having some trouble with Word & can't edit our web page anyway.

I can however tell you the dodgy way that I come up with my dodgy setups.
As I don't have much idea about what does what, & also find it hard to believe that adjusting a game the same way that you would adjust a car would have the same results anyway. My car adjustments as follows.
These are what I use on everything except the mini which on most settings seems about the opposite. I can't drive the thing anyway.

Caster- max
Front camber - max
Rear camber - max until it spins up coming off slow corners
Rollbars - Fully soft, front & rear.
Springs - fully soft, front & rear
Steering ratio - 15 degrees
Brakes - usually 56-57, some cars down to 52
Dampers - no fucken idea really, generally 2 or 3
Diff - 70-80 acceleration side, I like to run 100 on the coast side to help bring the back around if I'm understeering mid corner.
If my car understeers with these settings, I increase the rear springs.
If I max out the rear springs & it still understeers I increase the rear rollbar. If it still understeers I drive a different car. :nod:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

This all does not sound too good, Speed

just quickly

1) you kill the braking power with the excessive front camber
Caster max, good, but the neative camber should be reduced on the front by .5 or 1 to help braking

2) you can set the characteristics of the car (under/oversteer) with the dampers and rollbars, thats what they are for. :-)

Leave the springs alone.

Rollbars: the harder front the rollbar, the more understeer you get. hard rear: overstear, and the opposite for both too - soft front, understeer.

This is all good for general all-round setting of the handling, but if you just over/understeer under brake or acceleration, use the dampers: (iirc this way)

front bump softer: oversteer under brake
front rebound softer: oversteer under accel
rear bump harder: oversteer under accel
rear rebound harder: oversteer under brake

and the opposite is true, front bump harder induces understeer at braking, etc
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Castor set to high can also reduce low speed corner grip a lot - well it does in LFS anyway, no idea about GTL as I'm yet to try.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Rots wrote:Castor set to high can also reduce low speed corner grip a lot - well it does in LFS anyway, no idea about GTL as I'm yet to try.
I think it's lfs, I don't feel any worse grip here :-)
Speed

Post by Speed »

Thanks for your input ysu & Rots, & your setups Mick.
I don't really feel too much of a problem under brakes & seem to be able to hold more corner speed, less understeer with the high camber angles.
Could be kidding myself though.
I'll try some of your suggestions. :yes:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Well, that is true, that high camber helps with corner speed, but it will tax your tyres very much on the long run. It probably dont' make any difference in short races, altho I think the brake loss is still something to think about.
I think it differs from car to car too, how far you can go.
:shrug:
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

I have all my sets ready for download over at XGN.
They all hotlinked to the description. But we are upgrading our site software, so i had to remove the link. Its usually linked at the name of the car under the track name

Ill put the links up here later, but for the moment ill just leave the layout i have set up, and the descriptions of the sets.

Should be corrected tonight.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few setups that i use/used to play in both single and multiplayer Gt-legends.

THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD OFF XGN SOON - We are upgrading the software and my post is down.

I will do my best to explain the setups.
These sets helped me get through to Cup C and win all but 2 races on pro.

General note. Nothing worse than running out of fuel, especially when you have a long straight to finish on, and you have a v8 behind you. If the race is 8 laps, i will usually go one lap over in fuel. I know its common sense, but its easy to forget.

Andersdorp:
Cortina Balance Set Very easy to drive. Can be used on Nth and Sth courses. Slight understeer. You need to set the car up for the corner. Trail braking can help. Only if you dont have combined pedals (I do at the moment)

Mini 5lap Set This is your basic Mini Cooper set. Trail brake is a must to learn in this car. Brake to the apex, be careful not to understeer with locked front wheels tho. Also be very careful brake bias isnt too rear ward, this will step the back end out. Throttle out of danger.

Ford Mustang 65 Suited to the high camber of the Nth circuit corners. Very good under brakes. Be careful on the tighter corners, you need more braking than you will think, setup early, and roll through the 1st gear corners, try to avoid understeer by maintaining your line and get on the throttle early.

Dijon Prenois Short:
Ford Mustang 65 Very smooth Ford Mustang 65. Can get the back end out very easily. Be careful not to brake too late. Good balance and can hold a tight line in the last corner. Use momentum to carry you through the corner, then gas it early, but slowly to get a good exit. Can be used on GP, although the gears may not suit the hairpin.

Lotus Cortina Not exactly the quickest set around but easy to drive and good for low 1:19's. With this set you can change your line mid corner with out losing too much speed if you need to. Excellent for change of direction. Fast through the dipper part of the track, although you must have warm tyres.

Monza Jnr:
Lotus Cortina Excellent setup for this track. Just keeps getting faster and faster. Very stable through first part of track, able to gently drift through corners. Will understeer through right hander after back straight if you take the wrong line or are too fast. Sensational through the chicane before main straight. Excellent braking.

Magny Cours National:
Lotus Cortina Excellent setup for this track. Allow a lap for tyres to heat up. Fantastic balance through all turns. Super quick through Adelaide/Chateu d'Eau chicane. One of my favourite setups.

Ford Mustang 65 This is the same set as Dijon-Prenois. I use it here too. The balance of this set is verstile enough to be used on most tracks. Adjust your gear ratios to suit. ie final drive up one click. Only if you redline on back straight passing through Golf.

Mondello:
Lotus Cortina Tight track calls for a well balanced car. This set is great under brakes and very forgiving if u get off line. Easy to over steer can be handy when racing. Can be used at any Mondello track.

Mini Cooper S Well balanced Mini. Point and shoot style with this setup. Likes aggressive cornering and you can use the throttle to get you out of trouble. Can be used at any Mondello track.

Nuburgring Mullenbach:
Ford Mustang 65 Still working on this. Very easy to learn the Mustangs behaviour and nature on this track. It has just about everything. This set has very good brakes. However you need to be very careful about lock up here. Very good low speed stability, slight understeer can be negated by setting up well for corner and using the throttle to push the back end out.

Lotus Cortina Very stable set. Definately not the quickest. Nimble and quick to steer, also quick to oversteer if your not careful. Doesnt have the power to power the nose around a corner, so you need to throw it through. This however can damage your tyres. If you find this set isnt working, use the Magny-Cours National set.

Nuburgring Sprint:
Ford Mustang 65 This is the same as the above Mustang setup. You should knock back the final gear drive ratio one click. You will need the power. Short track means quick throws and alot of wheelspin. Careful on the brakes, heavier car means that this will sit sideways under brakes. Shift the brake bias forward abit if this happens. I will modify this as i can. Softer supension could help it a little.

Zolder:
Lotus Cortina This is a very versatile set that is from the Magny-Cours National setup. This car is predictable, off throttle and on. Slight understeer into turns 1 and 2. See car driving guide.

Ford Mustang 65 This is a wicked setup for this track. Although maybe not the fastest Mustang setup, its very easy to drive. Powers out of all corners well. Getting the wheels to spin up out of some corners is the best way to drive. This keeps the nose pointed in the right direction.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

I reckon we need a GTL subforum :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Rots wrote:I reckon we need a GTL subforum :)
:nod: :yes:
fried1968

GTL Subforum

Post by fried1968 »

I also would like to see a subforum for GT Legends

This game rocks
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I've zipped all my current sets and uploaded them:

http://www.michael-dunn.com/GTL/20060105_MD_Setups.zip

If you've got any of my current ones these will overwrite them, of course. Some are more complete than others but there's been a few new ones since last time.

:tilt: