rfactor

ISI's new sim rFactor
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

rfactor

Post by w00dsy »

who's tried it and what do you think. I just gave it a shot and i must say i was suprised how much fun it was. The LFS fanboys will no doubt pick shit through it. But it's got the best sound i've heard in a game, and the cockpit movement is terrific. I've seen that done in a few other games and it never grabbed me, but i had a blast in that hot little car.
Takumi

Re: rfactor

Post by Takumi »

w00dsy wrote:who's tried it and what do you think. I just gave it a shot and i must say i was suprised how much fun it was. The LFS fanboys will no doubt pick shit through it. But it's got the best sound i've heard in a game, and the cockpit movement is terrific. I've seen that done in a few other games and it never grabbed me, but i had a blast in that hot little car.
the sound is the same as GTR isnt it?

i thought it was ok but something seemed to be missing. didnt run too crash hot on my machine either :P
It's been nice, chaps.
breakneck

Post by breakneck »

It felt like one of those F1C mods with fancier graphics. Great for a bit of a blast, but lacking in a bit of feeling. Also the netcode seems a lot to be desired, though I got an email from rFactor the other week saying they had a new patch that improved that.

It's fun playing with a full damage model though :) And yes, the sounds are quite nice.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

i like it :D

that is all...
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Nice sound? fark no!, Sit in the pits and play around with the throttle and you can hear it picking its next recorded samples... ;) Like GTR, it only sounds good when the throttle is on full song.

I thought rFactor was ok, but I reckon its a poor mans GTR at the moment :D . I have no doubt that once it gets modded to the shithouse (which is its main purpose in the end) it will be worth a look. But the netcode/way it does multyplayer was shit to say the least as well... if its going to focus so much on modding, then it needs to improve in multiplayer mode 100fold.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Ha ha, a LFS guy complaining about another games shit sound :D
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

LOL.

rFactor is only very early at this stage anyway. Going by some more recent screens they have got a couple of Formula cars in there (looks like they have just grabbed the meshes they did for the F1 games and dumped them straight in) and the 24hr real time engine should be awesome for enduros. Even timescaling a 1 or 2 hour race so it goes through a whole day should be pretty cool. I hope they get the wet weather effects working better than other ISI games. They were shit, to say the least. Very promising overall and having another quality sim out there (especially one that's going to be modded) is always a good thing.

:tilt:
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

w00dsy wrote:Ha ha, a LFS guy complaining about another games shit sound :D
Yes your right, LFS sound isn't the best now and some engine notes in it sound dreadful (GTi), but, I am not talking about the note, rather how the note is created. The potential of LFS's sound engine is far greater than GTR and rFactor as it synthesizes the sound and doesn't switch between recorded samples at any point.

Do this... run LFS and sit in neutral, now play with the throttle (slowly bring to redline, floor it to redline etc) and listen. Now do this in the aforementioned titles and you will eventually be able to pin point the exact moment it will switch to the next recorded sample - in rFactor and GTR I was able to do that.

Sure, when you play those games at full song they sound absolutely amazing, no denying it, but all in all there is a real lack of realism in the sound transitions when one steps out of the box and plays with the throttle. The way I see it, GTR & rFactor can play sound transitions in staccato, whereas LFS sound engine has the sostenuto pedal down.

To me, any game that half decently synthesizes sound deserves respect for not following the recorded sample flock and in doing so, in due course, will probably eat them for dinner :D . Nothing like hearing the engine (no matter how bad it sounds - lots of real street cars sound bad too) in real time, rather than pre-recorded time ;)

I know my real car doesn't sound staccato when I play with the throttle :D

Need I remind you that LFS is also only in an early development stage (how long has the ISI engine been around now?? forever??) and only created by three awesome blokes from the ground up...

:D Yes I love my LFS :D

Edit: I am aware the ISI engine has no bearing on the sound (its pyshics engine right?), I was just bringing attention to the fact that half the work is already done for them ;)
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I know what you mean Rots, i just like poking a bit of stick at you LFS guys. The engine sound in rfactor to me reminds me of a 4 cylinder with a few Webber carbs. You know how as soon as you put your foot down you get that sucking induction noise. That's where a lot of games fall down, they only have one note for an engine. Engines sound very different depending on throttle position. I'm certainly not saying rfactor is the greatest game ever, far from it. But i do like the way it feels like your getting close to 200kph. Most other games, LFS included, feel the same at 200 as what they do at 60, apart from the scenery going past faster. GPL had wind noise which added slightly to the speed factor, but with rfactor the cockpot starts to shake quite violently, there is gear whine which gets loud, and the noise is tops, which at the end of that front straight you really do feel like your hammering along. It's little things like that which make some of the newer games more immersive.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Here's a quick video i did to show Do0g. 4meg http://woodsy.net/rfactor2.wmv
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

LOL, it's so easy to lose it through that corner... and the turn coming onto the straight is almost flat with the right line ;) hehe

nice preview vid though :yes:
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

w00dsy wrote:Here's a quick video i did to show Do0g. 4meg http://woodsy.net/rfactor2.wmv
http://lfs-news.bluepixel.dk/moviespit/ ... wnload=212

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's been nice, chaps.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Scottie

Post by Scottie »

pwned
Piddy

Post by Piddy »

I like it a lot and it's only going to improve - right? :)

It'll be a close call as to which game I play more LFS S2 or rFactor.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

I guess that will be decided when they are both out ;) :D
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I think they are both going to be good games. I can have more than one game on my PC, so bring on the awesome games, i'll take em all :)