Fedora Core 5 (linux)

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
tehsid
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Fedora Core 5 (linux)

Post by tehsid »

I just installed this, and i must say, i'm impressed so far.

Installing drivers wasent as easy as windows is (no dubble click, mainly command line stuff)

But its vry customisable. I've got it dual booting with windows xp atm, but if support for Direct X gets out for Linux soon, bye bye windows, untill then....

( there are progs that u can use to emulation dx9, but i havent tryed them yet... gonna try lfs out tomorrow, or monday. Looking forword to it.)

Anyone else tryed it yet, or ne linux distro? Thoughts?
bertie

Post by bertie »

I'm currently running FC5 on my work laptop. Wine still has some issues with some apps - nothing that an XP session under VMWare can't fix though :)
I get asked why I do run it at work, and the reasons are simple. Firstly, I have a passion for open source. Secondly, because I can ;) Thirdly, I enjoy a bit of a challenge, and not doing things the "normal" way.

Fedora Core has really matured of late, which IMHO is a very good thing. The install for me was a breeze. A bit fiddly to get things like 7 mouse buttons working properly, and getting the dual screen stuff working automtically - but there are so may good forums and the like out there it's just a metter of research to find the solution.
I'd be interested to here how you get on with the LFS install.

I still prefer Gentoo linux - it has one of the best package management systems I have ever used, and is not bloated at all as you have to install everything you want. It's not one for the beginners though.
tehsid

Post by tehsid »

Nice to hear. Do you have ne aps you'd recomend?
bertie

Post by bertie »

really depends what you want to do :)

Sniff around sourceforge.net to get an idea of what others are doing.

And take a look at this page - some good stuff there (like MP3 support, etc...): http://home.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc5-tips.php
wabz

Post by wabz »

I've been a debian person for a long time, and recently changed my home/work machines to Ubuntu (debian based). It is by far the best Linux distro I have ever used. The main problem with RH distros is RPMs that can be installed from anywhere (I guess .debs can be installed from anywhere too, but it's a lot easier to stick with the given repositories) - it's just too easy to screw up your system because people package things badly. Every single app I could ever want (including things like proprietry nvidia drivers) is in the ubuntu repositories. Everything Just Works. That said, I haven't tried FC5.

Some guys at work who have been using rh/fc recently installed Ubuntu and are also very impressed with it. Debian's apt has been around way longer than Gentoo's portage ;)

p.s. gentoo is for ricers!
p.p.s. Does fc5 do this?

edit: I wouldn't bother with LFS in linux. I tried it with wine, and to my surprise everything worked properly (even the wheel!) first off, but there were no shadows and I didn't get anywhere near the same frame rate that I did in windows. I have a windows partition purely for LFS. The other games I play (mainly q3) have native linux executables.
bertie

Post by bertie »

wabz wrote:p.s. gentoo is for ricers!
Them's fighting words :D
Debian is undoubtedly the "big boy" when it comes to the range of apps, and Ubuntu certain has taken the world by storm. I've been playing a bit with Edubuntu, with a view to dropping it onto the kids systems. Testing so far seems OK.
wabz wrote:p.p.s. Does fc5 do this?
I see no reason why FC5 couldn't do 3D Desktop. I can't test it cause my laptop has a shitty video card, but it *should* work. :p

One thing with FC5 is I've found the whole RPM (yum) thing frustrating to say the least. I think I'll be going back to Gentoo, and the warm comfort that portage offers me :yes:
Crowella

Re: Fedora Core 5 (linux)

Post by Crowella »

SiD wrote:I just installed this, and i must say, i'm impressed so far.

Installing drivers wasent as easy as windows is (no dubble click, mainly command line stuff)

But its vry customisable. I've got it dual booting with windows xp atm, but if support for Direct X gets out for Linux soon, bye bye windows, untill then....

( there are progs that u can use to emulation dx9, but i havent tryed them yet... gonna try lfs out tomorrow, or monday. Looking forword to it.)

Anyone else tryed it yet, or ne linux distro? Thoughts?
Yup, I use it on my home server. It is extremely reliable, and when Fedora Core 6 comes out in the future, I will again put that on my PC, hoping that Direct/Active X will work.

It's quite incredible, I used it for doing work and assignments, as everything seemed very neat, and its nice to have a very good alternative to M$ Word and Office.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i tried twice to install Fedora but neither time it would boot. I prefer Xandros or PCLinuxOS to be honest, and i have zero idea why people like Ubuntu so much, it's very bland and featureless as standard install. But i guess that's what Linux users like so much, a blank canvas to fiddle.
Acerlyte

Post by Acerlyte »

Hope I am not hi-jacking this thread but I was wondering what linux distro would you guys recommend a beginner? I have fiddled with Mandrake and Red Hat a little while back but due to various reasons I didn't get enough time to play with it and learn much so I am kinda starting again from scratch. I have been keen for a while to learn Linux and get to a point where I could use it as my regular OS only retaining windows for gaming. :)
wild
Master artist
Master artist

Post by wild »

wabz wrote:p.s. gentoo is for ricers!
Please die in a fire. :lol:

Just because some misguided idiot thinks that compiling everything from scratch somehow makes a computer faster, doesn't mean the whole userbase is as clueless.

Anyhow, good luck on getting LFS to work. It does run under Cedega, however you can't unlock. You just get a generic error every time.
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Follow the ubuntu trail and you won't be disppointed Acerlyte. If you like KDE better than Gnome, go for kubuntu. Much the same on the inside tho :)

It's not too tricky :) Nothing you can't google and find an answer for... failing that, ask the geeks here ;)
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Acerlyte wrote:Hope I am not hi-jacking this thread but I was wondering what linux distro would you guys recommend a beginner? I have fiddled with Mandrake and Red Hat a little while back but due to various reasons I didn't get enough time to play with it and learn much so I am kinda starting again from scratch. I have been keen for a while to learn Linux and get to a point where I could use it as my regular OS only retaining windows for gaming. :)
PCLinuxOS, it's like Kubunto but with everything enabled from the start, ie plugins, dvd etc
Sam_I_Am

Post by Sam_I_Am »

Yeah I run FC5 and its a shit load better than FC4. Try http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5 ... notes.html for a setup guide. Cover everything you need to do, mp3's dvd's, ntfs support etc.
Browncoats of the 'verse Unite