xbox probs?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

xbox probs?

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

gday guys, i recently bought an original xbox 2nd hand off a friend, it seems very touchy at reading some games (EA sports ones mainly) and locks up a bit more than what i expected, have i bought myself a lemon, or are the games a bit dodgy?
Now with Added Flickr
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i've never had an issue with mine, had it as long as they've been out. The only problem i had was a dodgy cable, the one that leads to the tv, the xbox wouldn't start and showed up red on the power button.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Lock ups with the Xbox are not the norm, I don't recall ever having a game on my one lock up.

It could be a dodgy drive though, a lot of Xbox's were shipped with Thompson dvd drives, and to put it bluntly these drives were shit, if the game is having a problem reading the disc, the game will probably appear locked up. The best drives were the Samsung ones, hard to come by these days though as invevitably anyone looking to replace the drive in their xbox goes hunting for the Samsung drives.

Is the Xbox chipped Grass? If so, you could try ripping the game to the hard drive and playing from there.
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

SHoNKY wrote:Lock ups with the Xbox are not the norm, I don't recall ever having a game on my one lock up.

It could be a dodgy drive though, a lot of Xbox's were shipped with Thompson dvd drives, and to put it bluntly these drives were shit, if the game is having a problem reading the disc, the game will probably appear locked up. The best drives were the Samsung ones, hard to come by these days though as invevitably anyone looking to replace the drive in their xbox goes hunting for the Samsung drives.

Is the Xbox chipped Grass? If so, you could try ripping the game to the hard drive and playing from there.
nah, it isnt chipped yet, i was gonna get it fixed before i do anything to it, are all the most recent xboxs (before the 360) fitted with the samsung drives? if so i think i can organise one of those :)
Now with Added Flickr
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Not sure if the Xbox's being sold now have Samsung drives in them, I've had my xbox for about 18 months or so and it came with it.

See the 2nd post in this forum to help with identifying what drive is in your xbox without pulling it apart.
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

SHoNKY wrote:Not sure if the Xbox's being sold now have Samsung drives in them, I've had my xbox for about 18 months or so and it came with it.

See the 2nd post in this forum to help with identifying what drive is in your xbox without pulling it apart.
yep, ive got a samsung drive in it, ive noticed that its only really happens when games try to play FMV (like the EA sports intros) and every now and then when its loading a game
Now with Added Flickr
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

If its a Samsung drive it could be just worn out, any idea on the history or how old the xbox is, a mate of mine has been complaining lately about his Samsung drive playing up, his xbox is pretty old though, revision 1.1 or 1.2 from memory, so around 3 to 4 years old at a guess.
nneeooww

Post by nneeooww »

ive had a similar problem for a while now - dirty lens - purchase a cleaning DVD disc or something.
Gradually though i think im going to have to replace it - though i have been quoted >$100 for a new DVD ROM (the version that reads all discs).