Hotmail beta

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Hotmail beta

Post by w00dsy »

the new Hotmail beta is shaping up pretty well, it seems it has been updated in the last day or so and is now looking pretty good. Like Gmail it now displays thumbnails of pics. It also does drag n drop and all that fancy gear.

plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Looks nice....

Much advertising?? Does it work well in firefox??
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

works really well in FF, it has ads but with Ad Block Plus it gets rid of the ads.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

looks like Outlook Web Access to me.

Doesnt partically intrest me, im happy with my private address's + gmail
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Why would you sell gmail out to MS?

Sure they're just another multi-global-mega-corp, but hey, give credit where it's due...

Gmail did it 2 years ago... and MS is just catching up now... lame.

What does it do that gmail doesn't? :)
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Pinger$ wrote:Why would you sell gmail out to MS?

Sure they're just another multi-global-mega-corp, but hey, give credit where it's due...

Gmail did it 2 years ago... and MS is just catching up now... lame.

What does it do that gmail doesn't? :)
Hear Hear.

Gmail is a lean, mean, 2.7gb emailing machine!!

However, lately Gmail has been pretty slow... Not sure if it's just me.... Logging in takes about 10 seconds.... changing between inbox / sentbox etc. takes about 3 seconds... I remember it used to be so snappy.....

Anyway, Hotmail beta is much much better on Firefox with Adblock.... I thought the theme looked a bit dodgy in firefox so I checked in IE6, and it turned out it was fine... Then I noticed how many ads it has... Shocking. Anyone that doesn't have Firefox + Adblock, GET IT NOW!

I still prefer to use Gmail for most emailing.... it's just less nonsense and much quicker.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Pinger$ wrote: What does it do that gmail doesn't? :)
from very limited use the main thing i have noticed is drag n drop. Also Hotmail has folders, a bit of a gripe i have with Gmail not having them. Plus you never leave the main screen unlike gmail where you are always going back and forth between the main screen and the email screen. The new hotmail beta is a lot like the new yahoo beta, Gmail seems to be quite different in how it's put together. You can also right click various parts of the interface and have options.

nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

yep, looks 100% like outlook web access..

so how do I get a @live.com email?
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

nutty wrote:yep, looks 100% like outlook web access..

so how do I get a @live.com email?
I was offered to "Try the new beta", from within my current hotmail.com account.... It was a link near the top left hand corner of the screen :yes:
Scuderia_Alan

Post by Scuderia_Alan »

The Beta pretty much wasn't working on Firefox in "Live" mode initially even though they said it already was, however I'm glad to see they aren't so narrow-minded as to restrict full functionality to IE. Click and drag has been and still feels a little clunky as it requires a moment to load each process but I prefer this layout over the Gmail idea.

What was even more shocking to me was when I reported an annoying problem with Messenger Live Beta they actually got stuck into it and fixed a bug on their end within a week and told me the whole process.

My only gripe left is that checking your inbox from Messenger only goes via IE with no choice to change that particular preference. That's why Gmail with Firefox left open has been gaining the ascendecy with me.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Scuderia_Alan wrote: My only gripe left is that checking your inbox from Messenger only goes via IE with no choice to change that particular preference. That's why Gmail with Firefox left open has been gaining the ascendecy with me.
that's where Trillian and Gaim are great, you can choose which browser opens up.