Microsoft vs Linux: MS takes a slice of SUSE-Novell

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
EzyRider

Microsoft vs Linux: MS takes a slice of SUSE-Novell

Post by EzyRider »

It seems my hatred of any M$-based product is becoming more and more founded.

Link from The Age newspaper.
Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer said if customers bought Linux from anyone but Novell, they could face trouble.

"If a customer says, 'Look, do we have liability for the use of your patented work?' Essentially, if you're using non-SUSE Linux, then I'd say the answer is yes," Ballmer told eWeek.com recently, referring to the Linux system sold by Novell.

"I suspect that (customers) will take that issue up with their distributor," Ballmer said, adding that if customers considered doing a direct download of a non-SUSE Linux version, "they'll think twice about that."
Needless to say, I am an enormous fan of *nix, and to see Microsoft putting a kibosh on something community owned and operated just pumps my nads. Give it ten years, and the ONLY operating system we'll have will be a conglomeration of Linux and Windows, and it'll be wholly owned by MS.

Bastards.
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Novell was completely retarded to make that deal with MS. It just gave them another avenue to spread FUD.

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... /22/001259
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

what the
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

they'll never stop Linux, far too many distro's out there for them to buy or try and sue. Funny how M$ never used to even mention Linux, and now people have gotten bored with XP they start buying into one of the most popular distro's. SUSE was always the most commercial distro anyway. Quite a few of the 'pay' distro's are starting to flounder, and with the ubuntu community getting stronger i can't see a bad future for Linux. Especially now Vista isn't anywhere near what they originally promised.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Smart move my Microsoft.

Suse seems to me as one last go for Novell, trying to keep the Server OS share it had years ago.