rFV8 & LFS - Matrox 3H2G + TrackIR4 vids

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
funkdancer

rFV8 & LFS - Matrox 3H2G + TrackIR4 vids

Post by funkdancer »

Here's two vids of TrackIR and 3H2G in action. I have more details of the actual setup here.
As you can see, whilst having identical tiny framed LCDs would probably be a lot better, a mix of monitors still does the trick.

LFS
http://funkdancer.com/mnr/files/3H2G_LFS.wmv
[120MB - 5m27s long, WM9 file - suggest right clicking and saving to local]

Footage from MNR TT06-R6, just me getting swamped really :)

Warning: Room lighting is not the best, it's dark at 21:30, you may want to adjust playback brightness - but it will give a faithful representation of what my driving conditions are like. Music is by, well, have a guess. ;)

rFactor V*
http://funkdancer.com/mnr/files/3H2G_RF.wmv
[155MB - ~6m45s long, WM9 file - suggest right clicking and saving to local].

Shot at day time, lots better room lighting. Not an actual race. Thanks Schmickle for driving slowly for a while in practice to let me get some footage.
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

Yes yes......he is a MEGA geek :nod: :lol: :D

He was almost in tears the other night at the V8 race...............just couldn't race with only 1 screen................ :fall:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Sterling wrote:He was almost in tears the other night at the V8 race...............just couldn't race with only 1 screen................ :fall:
:rofl: Thats right.

Downloading now ;)
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
funkdancer

Post by funkdancer »

Find it any interesting Knappo?

Human brain is a strange beast, gets used to certain standards so quickly. :)
To be honest it felt a bit like I was racing with a keyboard instead of a G25 wheel... ...so you must excuse my sounding so panicked on TS, Sterls.
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

That looks like a good reason to get a trackir... looks so smooth

ur av is still very mesmorising knappo :p
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

great vid, thanks for sharing.
I always wondered how the track-ir worked.... now i know :D

looks a bit tricky tho... having to turn your head all the time, but I must say you seem rather good at it, you seem very steady in a straight line too (the view).... I guess you couldnt drive hungover or with the DT's ;)

cool cat by the way ;)
Steve
---
funkdancer

Post by funkdancer »

Se1z, I'll be the first to admit it takes a fair bit of practice to be able to drive straight or around a bend and turn your head around without it affecting your line.

On my motorbike you are to look at where you are going prior to making the turn. E.g. lock head onto turn entry, track for a small quarter of a second, then execute turn in. Whilst I find this completely natural, this disassociation is not as easy with the trackIR as there are no physical forces to feel.

I've found that doing some practice sessions where I drive with the head turned at e.g. 45 degrees one way for a whole lap, then the other one, is a good thing. Then I may practice head checks for every single turn in. This actually needs doing somewhat frequently.

Getting the three monitors probably made using the trackir a lot easier, as I get loads of peripheral view and don't have to turn my head as much. E.g. turning 45 degrees to the left I can still see straight ahead in the rightmost monitor.

PS. Thanks re cat - yep they are cool :)