Arrrgghhh Fark

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Shonky

Arrrgghhh Fark

Post by Shonky »

:bang: :doh: :cry:

Long story short, fumbled grabbing the camera out of the bag, camera plummeted from a height of about 8 inches and landed lens first (cap on) and as a result it has stripped the AF gears, AF sort of still works with a jerky spot around the middle of the focus range as it jumps a couple of teeth.

Thankfully it was only the EF-S 18-55 kit lens so it's a cheapy anyway, still pissed off nonetheless since it's only about 2 weeks old, so atm I am on the lookout for a replacement.

Any suggestions as to a replacement, something preferably a little wider as well, that isn't stupediously expensive? For the moment I can probably put up with the focusing problem unless it gets worse, and I can always go manual if need be if I need to do some saving for a while.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Ah shit. Bummer dude. Still its not as bad as it could have been. You should be able to pick up a kit 17-55 for bugger all. I have a Sigma 28 - 105 F/2.8 which is my base lens. That is not hidiously expensive and gives some pretty good quality and its a 2.8 which is a good thing. I picked mine up for $299 which was pretty damn good value. As a base lens it gives a pretty good scale of use and its AF is not bad. More importantly its natural stability (ie its not an image stabaliser lens) is pretty damn good. I got a hand held shot of the moon shooting at 1/6th which was still sharp.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Forgot to mention, you can just set the lens to manual focus untill you get a new one.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
limbo

Post by limbo »

i dunno your situation mate, but our house insurance covers us for accidental camera and mobile phone damage..
especially if the dog or the cat knocks it off the table :wink: :wink:

it is worth a try... just a phone call, put in the claim.. the worst they can do is reject it..
the best they can do is replace the camera for a (approx.) 110 dollar excess fee....

and if you live with parents or friends... quite often the insurance company will consider you covered by their house and contents... it usually doesnt name people or items just a total value.
Those Glands of Bartholin I bless, the sweet wild honey they express,
the exquisite faint scent they bring, of mountain flowers in early spring.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I am thinking about the insurance side of things limbo, but since it was a cheap lens, maybe $200 brand new at a rough guess, its not really worth my excess. I was looking at replacing it down the track anyway, those plans may just move forward.

Currently looking at the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5, and the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, currently leaning towards the 24-70 just for the apeture at 70mm, but I'm in no rush.
Doso

Post by Doso »

on the insurance side of things you can specifiy them under your home and contents insurance as a removable device or somethings (thats what i have done) and they are covered all around australia from theft and accidents, for around 4k-5k worth of gear i think it came to an extra off around $120 a year, however the excess is also the same as your home and contents insurance which for me is around $1000, im thinking of going with aon next month they offer the same but with an excess of around 300 which is much better if you brake a lens or something