Logitech Harmony Remotes

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Shonky

Logitech Harmony Remotes

Post by Shonky »

Hey folks, I'm looking at buying one of the 880 or 785 Harmony remote controls, anyone here had experience with these?

I'm fed up with the mountain of remotes piling up in the lounge. :nod:

Harmony 785

Harmony 880
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

well, my family has a harmony 520 and i cant fault it, spent 10-15min setting it up when i first got it, needed to know a couple of keystrokes from the STB, and picked everything else up fine (even an onkyo amp and hyundai LCD) although it doesnt seem to work with my modded xbox, but i havnt tried to fix it, there is an XBMC tutorial somewhere that acknowledges it as a known fault... ill look at it after exams :)

by the way, why those 2 remotes? they are a fair bit more expensive than the 520 and dont seem to do much extra.... batteries havnt been an issue with my 520, lasted... 3 months at least with no signs of slowing down :)
Now with Added Flickr
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Hmm....520 hey, will check it out, the only reason I've been looking at the 880 and 785 is due to how often they are mentioned around the net, I assume programming is no different to the higher end models in that you can grab codes for devices from the net, I've got a Loewe TV that so far refuses to play ball with any pre-programmed remote I've bought before (and then sold on Ebay because of it).

A learning remote doesn't cut it, the original remote went to the graveyard a while ago thanks to a pissed champagne drinker so I need to be able to download the codes for the TV, I just can't bring myself to spring the dollars on a replacement remote from Loewe on a 6 y/o TV.
wabbit

Re: Logitech Harmony Remotes

Post by wabbit »

SHoNKY wrote:... anyone here had experience with these? ...[/url]
Ive had a quick go with the 880 at a mates place. very useful seeing his got... TV / Foxtel / Amp / (well you get the idea)

Pressing "TV" all the devices turn-on (tv, amp, foxtel), selecting the right outputs/channels/ stuff like that. then only pressing volume up (which changed the amp volume).

Useful, if you've got a bucket load of gear and want to setup things how you like.
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

i think the 880 is around on the web so much is cause it was the first one they released...

i reckon it would do Loewe no worries too, if it doesnt you add the codes (IR reader in the bottom of the 520, picked up everything that my reciever's "learning" remote couldnt) and it updates logitech's database, so you are doing it for everyone else too :)

from what i can see...
520 starts around $110 (b/w LCD, 12 devices, 4 activities on-screen)
880 from $250 (colour LCD, 15 devices, 8 activities on-screen, docking station)
785 looks like the successor to the 880, same price, (colour LCD, 15 devices, 6 activities on screen, docking station and teletext support)

dunno if you already know all this or not, but never mind :D
Now with Added Flickr
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Cheers for the replies, I'm thinking I'll go with the 880 at this stage, can pick it up from a CPL for $249, the 8 activites is handy, I can think maybe 5 or 6 that I could setup already, and since the 880 has been out the longest it should be the most mature of all the models, so hopefully has the least bugs.

I'm currently going to replace 8 remotes with this, and will probably be 9 in the near future, looking to pick up a PVR for recording off the DTV box.

The 785 as far as I can tell is the latest model, and after a few hours of researching them there appear to be a few minor problems, and so far haven't been able to find them locally at a decent price where I can pick it up.

Once I've got the 880 and set it up I'll post back how it went. :D
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

So anyway, reviving an old thread shonky did you get the remote. and if so how'd the setup and stuff go.

mine came today, and it seems the site you use to program the remote is having a shitfit and doesn't wanna work.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

The setup went well, took about 5 mins to get it up and running, then about a week of tweaking here and there, haven't looked at the app since.

Are you still using the software on the CD, or have you updated it to the latest version?

Firing it up now to see if the site is down or something like that. Back in a sec.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

i have the software from the CD. i read on OCAU the software on the website is a few generations older than that of the CD
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I fired it up, the app downloaded a few patches via auto-update.

Below is a link to the version 7 base installer, you should be able to download this and then fire it up, from there it should patch itself up to the latest version I am guessing.

LogitechHarmonyRemote7.0.1.3-WIN-x86.exe

On the CD that came with my 880 was version 6, the latest is version 7 as far as i know, I figure its the latest one as there is always more patches for it when I fire it up.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Thanks alot, hopefullly will work.

should be able to replace that Xbox360 remote thats mysteriously disappeared :D
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

I've had an 880 for about 6 months now and I absoloutely love it as it has replaced the 7 remotes that were sitting on my coffee table. I think that the activity based programming is much better than the macro based programming found in other remotes. It's so easy to use that even the girlie can use it :lol: :D

Only problem I have is the well-documented problem of it not making good contact with the contacts on the base station, so charging it can be a little fiddly. Are you having the same problem?

Apparently Logitech is aware of the problem and will ship you a new base station if you complain. I've been too lazy so far :dunce:
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I know what you mean Peptis about the dock, its pretty average, usually takes a few goes of placing the remote in the dock before it starts charging for me, thankfully I only have charge it once every 1-2 weeks. Might ring up Logitech and have a cry about the dock just so I can get it sorted.
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

Let us know how you go.