no
23%
i'll wait and see what opinions are like first
29%

Total votes: 56

Sarsippius

Re: who's buying?

Post by Sarsippius »

Do the trial dvestate and see how you find it. Make sure to try the oval stuff as well as it's quite good, I was surprised how much I enjoy it and it really adds to the overall value. The rookie content should be enough to tell you if it's for you. If you find you really like it and can see yourself racing long term get the years subscription. This alone will get you the Skippy and the two extra tracks for the series from the bonus dollars. If you're into the oval stuff get the LM and it's tracks at the same time, making the most of the discounts which will cost you about $60 extra. This is what I did and is the most cost effective way, making best use of the bonus dollars and the 20% discount for 6 or more items.
Including the trial it's about $240 all up which is a fair bit but I was happy to spend that and I was real sceptical about the whole thing over the last couple years. This will set you up for say 14 to 20 weeks depending how long you stay in the rookie series, if you want to progress up each series after the Skippy and LM you'll need to spend about $40 - $60 every 12-13 weeks for the road and/or oval content and depending on how you use the discounts.
It is quite expensive but I'm pretty sure I'll be spending the $60 every 3 months to progress up each series. This should give you a good idea of the potential cost, whether it's too much for you only you will know once you give it a good shot.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Righteous wrote:ROFL, go hard YSU, man your english cracks me up.. I reckon you would be a riot to be pissed with :D..
Well, there was a sydney ARSE meet in the past, and we enjoyed each other's company - hopefully there will be another sometime where we can meet again. Preferably city north this time. Pixel still owes us some home brew if I remember correctly ;)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

ysu wrote:
SHoNKY wrote:LOL, it's just like the official iRacing forums in here, someone says they don't like it, and there's a bunch of people ready to tell them that their opinion is wrong and they should do this or that to try and like it, why defend a service (which it is since you pay for it) which doesn't need defending? :rolleyes:
Since when you're supposed to shut the f* up just because you have a different opinion? Different can be negative and positive. Don't be a jerk, mate.
I'm not telling anyone to shut the f* up, what I am getting at is every time someone someone points out something they think is a negative about iRacing which may not be a negative to everyone else, there is bunch of comments from people that appear to be trying to convince them it isn't a problem with iRacing, but a problem with the person that thinks something is negative in the first place. Maybe I am just reading things wrong, but that's the way it appears to me sometimes.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

SHoNKY wrote:
ysu wrote:
SHoNKY wrote:LOL, it's just like the official iRacing forums in here, someone says they don't like it, and there's a bunch of people ready to tell them that their opinion is wrong and they should do this or that to try and like it, why defend a service (which it is since you pay for it) which doesn't need defending? :rolleyes:
Since when you're supposed to shut the f* up just because you have a different opinion? Different can be negative and positive. Don't be a jerk, mate.
I'm not telling anyone to shut the f* up, what I am getting at is every time someone someone points out something they think is a negative about iRacing which may not be a negative to everyone else, there is bunch of comments from people that appear to be trying to convince them it isn't a problem with iRacing, but a problem with the person that thinks something is negative in the first place. Maybe I am just reading things wrong, but that's the way it appears to me sometimes.
Nope, you're spot on. I upset the iFanboi's in the 'Is it worth it thread'. Every time I commented on something I was a target for convincing, lol.

Meh, I'm playin the game, as they say, monkey see, monkey do, there's still things I don't like about it though. It's turning into the racing version of the WoW/AoC forums, lol
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Santaria wrote:It's turning into the racing version of the WoW/AoC forums, lol
Nowhere near it yet, i haven't seen any calls for Nerfs :rofl:
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Santaria wrote:Nope, you're spot on. I upset the iFanboi's in the 'Is it worth it thread'. Every time I commented on something I was a target for convincing, lol.
One person gives their view, others post theirs. It's called discussion. That's what the forum is for, isn't it?

Disagreeing with a negative opinion doesn't make someone a fanboy.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

DarrenM wrote:
Santaria wrote:Nope, you're spot on. I upset the iFanboi's in the 'Is it worth it thread'. Every time I commented on something I was a target for convincing, lol.
One person gives their view, others post theirs. It's called discussion. That's what the forum is for, isn't it?

Disagreeing with a negative opinion doesn't make someone a fanboy.
Trying to convince me that I'm wrong and not the game does.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Sterling enjoys stirring the pot. We'd get the same over at MNR, "rFactor fanboism, pop in, post a negative thread", then I think he just sits back and giggles at the response. No doubt he gets entertainment out of it. What ever....
balls & boobs. . .
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

r8response wrote:
Santaria wrote:It's turning into the racing version of the WoW/AoC forums, lol
Nowhere near it yet, i haven't seen any calls for Nerfs :rofl:
lol, Nerf the Skippy!
Latch

Post by Latch »

I have an invitation to join, but I don't think I'm actually going to buy, or even trial it. I would buy if it was a one off 12 quid like LFS, but I'm not into playing games anymore and $150/year?..

Keep an eye on the FS forum for a wheel, shifter and pedals soon.
Monkeh!
Simone Gelli

Post by Simone Gelli »

Sterling wrote:
9ra55h0ppaH wrote:It doesn't offer anything ground breaking for me, and the pricing in my opinion is absurd, i dont know of a game that could cost you almost $300 to play for a year, its double-dipping and extortion to me... especially when the immersion isnt really there for me.
Yep..... I did the month of play thing..........I really tried to like it,....... I even renewed for the following month thinking it would grow on me, but it didn't..... every time I played it I just felt so unrewarded and empty..........it offers nothing new and asks a premium price............ for me it also felt like chore to be there..........so much waiting........always waiting....... never knowing who and how many I would be racing......and then you get cleaned up on the first lap and its back to waiting all over again.

And there is no feeling of continuance...........all the sessions are broken up and disjointed, for something that is meant to be multiplayer I felt very lonely........just waiting......always waiting.

I think the final straw for me was finding out I'm stuck in Rookie for another 3 months because my rating wasn't high enough before the end of August .....wohoooo, great scam...... drag another 3 months of subscription out of me before I progress...well done.

Meehhh if I'm going to be paying a subscription then I better bloody be enjoying it, being bossed around and told what, where and when I can and cant race and then be be double shafted by having to pay more money as my 'reward for progress'.............no thanks.

My final opinion.................. unrewarding, over hyped and outrageously expensive, I canceled my subscription last week.

please sterling,would you mind to update the rfl site please......you racing tonight?

mmuuahahahahahhahaahhahahaha :vibes:
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

9metal wrote:[
please sterling,would you mind to update the rfl site please......you racing tonight?

mmuuahahahahahhahaahhahahaha :vibes:
Oi you cheeky bugger.....you watch yourself! :rofl: .......I hope you're not associating yourself with the RIFRAF over here..... :D
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

Quincy wrote:Sterling enjoys stirring the pot. We'd get the same over at MNR, "rFactor fanboism, pop in, post a negative thread", then I think he just sits back and giggles at the response. No doubt he gets entertainment out of it. What ever....
At no time during my discussion and opinions of iRacing have I even mentioned rFactor in my posts yet you seem to keep raising the comparison yourself and attempting to place words in my mouth.

Just like everybody here I enjoy putting across my opinion and thankfully the ARSE forum rules permit me to do so, at no time have I disrespected any other members or their opinions and I would appreciate the same respect would be given to my comments, you are the one who tries to discredit my opinions by inserting the 'rfactor fanboism' comments at every chance you get and you are the one who continually tries to distract from the discussion at hand, my opinions are valid just as the next racer and I appreciate it if you would not spread bullcrap just because I don't agree with you.

My last MNR forum post was about oh late 2006 early 2007.....I haven't posted/signed in or even looked at the MNR forum for quite a while now...........strangely the lack of respect and character of some of the people over there makes me never want to visit let alone post over there trying to spread my so called 'rFactor Fanboism' spiele which you say I do.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

I'm sorry Sterling, I have mixed you up with another ex-MNR/LFSer. My apologies. I retract my statement.
balls & boobs. . .
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Santaria wrote:Trying to convince me that I'm wrong and not the game does.
No, that's called discussion. You stated an opinion that someone disagreed with so they posted their view.

Looking through that thread again it looks perfectly level headed to me. Resorting to calling people fanbois just because they disagree with you seems a bit weak to me. I certainly don't see any "insane defense".
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

DarrenM wrote:
Santaria wrote:Trying to convince me that I'm wrong and not the game does.
No, that's called discussion. You stated an opinion that someone disagreed with so they posted their view.

Looking through that thread again it looks perfectly level headed to me. Resorting to calling people fanbois just because they disagree with you seems a bit weak to me. I certainly don't see any "insane defense".
Shoosh iFanboi :lol:

I was fairly sure I said something along the lines of: 'It's beginning to get a fanboy'ism following'

I was about to pick it all apart and write up a million word (over exaggeration of course) reply to this.... but to be honest, I'm over it.

I'm racing at the moment on a month to month basis and new content is due out soonish/whenever... how many tracks we gunna have to pay for on top of the sub? Really does beg the question: Is $150+ for a sim worth it a year? We'll soon see I guess :)
gasking

Post by gasking »

thanks to dvestate's invite, i purchased a month trial. after doing about 10 laps in prac mode in the pontiac car i goto say im not confident im gona like it.

being such a massive LFS fan (not that im good at it, fairly average), im thinking im gona be a hard man to change.

The car just didnt feel right, wast feeling it step out, car was just looping it. maybe thats because of only playing lfs over last 2-3 years, never tried rfactor. only giving iRacing a go because lfs comunity seems to be dieing.

sounds sounded fairly bad, looks a bit poxy. but im gona give it a go. i cant remember if when i first saw lfs i had similar opinions.

i actualy like the idea of paying a subscription to develop the game, imagine where lfs could be if devs were working on it with that sorta cash.

in the end i might be jumping the gun on my negative opinion. did others lfs fans feel the same?

reading this forumn i feel people may be talking it up because they have invested heavily in it, or been following it since the early days.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I have no doubt we're all getting arse raped as far as the costs of this sim goes. :bananabang: That said, I've signed up for a year because theres buggerall "pick-up" racing with decent fields happening in any other sim. If LFS upped its game and fixed its sound and released new content (how about some new tracks ffs!) by this time next year I probably wouldnt sign up for another year of arse raping.

As far as the physics of iRacing go I reckon they are pretty good, atleast it feels more natural than rFactor and LFS ever did and i'm able to push from the get go. I'm baffled to hear a few ppl mention the cars rear end snapping on them a lot. :shrug:
Last edited by Enforcer-J on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

gasking wrote:...reading this forumn i feel people may be talking it up because they have invested heavily in it, or been following it since the early days.
Not at all :)
But I've bought and played LFS, GTR, rF, GTL, GTR2, Race, Race07, nkP, RBR
and all of these I loved :
LFS - in it's orig format, after the 2nd version came out a couple of years ago it somehow lost it for me
GTL - it was good fun :)
nkP - it was spot on with the physics IMHO
RBR - the feel was pretty good here as well

and of course iRacing.
I wasn't too happy about the subscription-based format either, altho as I stated I may purchase it if I like it. And that I did ;) Therefore I purchased. Mind the order of things; first liked it, then purchased. Not the other way around :shake:

And I wasn't in the beta, I've been invited with the 1st wave.

Edit;
in fact I dont' think anyone has been in the beta from here, apart from Darren and Tim.
Speed

Post by Speed »

I don't think it's even nearly expensive.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Shall I inform people what ONE tyre for my rally car costs? And need I mention that at the recent Rally SA I used 12?

ONE rally tyre for us cost $250. And these are by no means the most expensive, Pirellis and Michelins go for around $400 per tyre.

iRacing seems a fairly cheap form of motorsport to me, from this distance. But I have never played it, and probably won't for a while given my PC specs. But as soon as I get a decent machine I'll be trying iRacing.
:teach:
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I didn't really know much about it either gasking, in fact I was one of the ones who said I would have to try it before I decided. I was never against the idea of the ongoing fee if it meant more development. Perhaps I am in a better situation than some that I can throw some money at it and see if it works. I bought grand prix bikes (bike sim) not that long ago, just because I thought it might take off.

But with iRacing it only took me a couple of races to decide that I was really happy with the physics and the netcode. I, personally, believe the graphics are great, especially compared to LFS. I love watching the suspension on the skippy infront when I follow them around. Little things like more people and stuff around the track during a race, motion blur on the wheels at speed. Nice wheel models, higher poly car models than LFS, better interiors. I think the sound is better than LFS too, I especially like the back fire and burble the cars generate.

Of course, this is just my opinion.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

The only thing I can think of with the back end snapping out is that LFS has the most progressive oversteer of any sim I know. The back is always coming out in that game for me and it is always coming out in slow motion. It's also very controllable whilst it's sideways. That particular aspect of the LFS tyre model has always seemed quite wrong to me - it's the one thing that's stood out as being very different to every other sim out there. There are other aspects of the LFS physics that are extremely good though - how I wish iRacing had flat spots and visible tyre deforming.

As I've said before, I started with Papy sims so iRacing feels very natural to me. Due to the above issue, LFS always felt a bit weird and the ISI games felt ok but very detached and some of them did indeed suffer from the snap oversteer that people are saying is an issue with iRacing. I'm sure if I started on a different game, iRacing would have taken a bit more to get used to. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

VTRacing wrote:Shall I inform people what ONE tyre for my rally car costs? And need I mention that at the recent Rally SA I used 12?

ONE rally tyre for us cost $250. And these are by no means the most expensive, Pirellis and Michelins go for around $400 per tyre.

iRacing seems a fairly cheap form of motorsport to me, from this distance. But I have never played it, and probably won't for a while given my PC specs. But as soon as I get a decent machine I'll be trying iRacing.
Gee you could buy a decent enough computer to play this sim for the price of a set of 4 tyres :)
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Yeah, probably... :)
:teach: