Ashes 2009.

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Ashes 2009.

Post by DexterPunk »

2/63 now... Hussey is looking set at the moment... wonder if he and Katich can rescue this a bit.

by the way how did England get 435 runs or whatever?? they were 9 for like, 370 or so. Bowlers couldnt get the last wicket? Hilfenhaus and Siddle were bowling really well when i was watching earlier :shrug:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

3/103 brilliant catch to get katich out.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hussey just threw his wicket away.. got his 50 at least i guess.

4/111. In real trouble again i reckon.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

make that 5/111 - we're fucked.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Bad light stopped play... despite the floodlights being on - 156 for 8 :)
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

DexterPunk wrote:by the way how did England get 435 runs or whatever?? they were 9 for like, 370 or so. Bowlers couldnt get the last wicket? Hilfenhaus and Siddle were bowling really well when i was watching earlier :shrug:
Last wicket stand of 47 from Onions and Anderson. Jimmy Anderson is looking like the the new Flintoff. Batting at 10 or 11 he hasn't had a duck for 20-30 innings, he's taken 4 for next to nothing today and has been fielding in the gully. As well as all that he's from Burnley as well... another reason to be proud to be a Claret :yes:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

The England 10 and 11 played great cricket. It is good to see some steel in the back of lower order batsmen. Pity the Aussie top order didn't show the same resolve.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yep, was the pom's day..

They should wrap this test up easily.
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

210 behind on the 1st innings and now the Poms are smashing our bowlers. Am I the only one wondering why Stu Clark isn't playing? We need a straight up and down, line and length man.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

130 for 2 at T :vibes:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

norbs wrote: Am I the only one wondering why Stu Clark isn't playing?
no you are not. :(
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

311 for 6. Rain
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Johnny X wrote:311 for 6. Rain
Lots more I hope....
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

selectors and captain need a kick up the ARSE for continuing with Johnson. Oh sure... he's got some wickets... but fuck he's been expensive. Pull him out of the side, chuck in Clark, chuck in Binga for the fear factor (if he can still bowl 155km/h) and get some fucking fielding practice FFS. Catches win matches boys.... and atm you are getting hosed by the Poms who haven't won at Lords wince 1934 FFS.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

decent keeper is not a requirement these days either, so long as the guy is great with the bat, then thats good enough... Sorry guys, but finding another Gilly is not really gunna happen for now. There must be 6 better keepers in Australia than Haddin.

Johnson seems to be alright with an older ball, but hand him the new ball and hes all over the place. That guy needs to go out and practice bowling at one stump.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Fuckin Rudy...

Katich - not out, was a no ball...

Hughes - Caught - ball looks like it hit the ground...

Fuck...

Whats wrong with a fucking referal...you tosser
norbs

Post by norbs »

Hazelb wrote:Fuckin Rudy...

Katich - not out, was a no ball...

Hughes - Caught - ball looks like it hit the ground...

Fuck...

Whats wrong with a fucking referal...you tosser

LOL. And now the Taswegian plays a ridiculous shot and throws away his wicket!
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Well at least thats out...
norbs

Post by norbs »

Hazelb wrote:Well at least thats out...
I think this would have to be Ponting's worst test in a fair time. Dropped a sitter, miss fielded, failed with the bat when they really needed him. I wonder if Fletcher has gotten under his skin?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Hazelb wrote:Well at least thats out...
unlike Kasper 4 years ago
--------------
Stu
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

178 for 5 just after T..... looks like a lead in the series for us Poms :)
Montey

Post by Montey »

Something that occurred to me a while back, but I only just recalled, is that beyond Ponting's inability to captain effectively (such that he can not tactically manage the placement and performance of his team) there is another individual largely at fault for Australia's performance.

The Australian cricket team sports psychologist.

The root of this fault in the Australian team actually lies all the way back in the 1980's and the captaincy of Alan Border. When Border took over the team they were in a period of rebuilding and Border brought a new style of team development that included the management of the psychology of the team. At some point during Border's reign professional sports psychologists were brought in to the team and did wonders for the teams ability to believe they were indestructible. The nice coincidence for Border was that he was also working with players that could match this mindset (Boon, Hughes, Waugh brothers, Taylor, McDermott, etc...).

Next comes Mark Taylor. Mark is a real disciple of the AB approaches, but evolves them somewhat. Having inherited a team from AB that was largely undefeated at a time when the rest of the world's teams were on the downward slide Taylor's team just kept on performing and built an enviable winning streak. Taylor then adopted the philosophy of never playing for the tie during test matches. This was very admirable and got rid of an apparent bane of test cricket, the tied match. Fortunately for this new approach, the team kept on winning.

Next to take over was Steve Waugh. Now Steve was never a great tactician, but fortunately for him he had a great one in his team, Shane Warne. Steve, assisted by Shane, maintained the winning streak but by now the team was starting to get older. By now, however, the sports psychologist was a well entrenched role in the squad and he kept telling them they were impossible to beat and that our players merely needed to show up to win, fortunately for him/her they kept on winning, largely because opposition teams were now rebuilding from their collapse in the mid-to-late 90's.

Finally we land with Ponting. Not a great strategist, not a great tactician, not a great inspirer of men. Lucky for Ponting he starts his captaincy with Warne at his side, the psych' keeps telling them their great, and they keep winning. But one day Warne retires. Uh oh! More senior squad members also retire, leaving Ponting on his lonesome with a few newbies. Australia starts losing matches. The sports psychologists go in to overdrive. You see the results of the sports psychologists manifesting itself in the post-match press interviews after we lose matches. "It was bad luck", "It just wasn't our day", "We're great but we're just on a short run of poor form", "It's not a question of bad technique, its a question of sometimes the wind blows in the wrong direction", etc... It's anyone's fault but a member of the playing squad.

The latest evidence of the influence of the psych is the way the Australian batsmen are starting their innings. Even when faced with a score of over 500 to chase and having to survive 2 days to save the match, our players all start batting their innings like they are going to score the required runs in 1 day and have a day off to go sight seeing. If you look back to the test matches of the 80's and early 90's batsmen would typically take a deal of time batting themselves in to their innings, they would not come out and start trying to hit 4s in the first over. The other evidence of the psych's and their control over the team is performances like Mitchell Johnson. Here is a player who bowls like absolute crap, is doing exactly the wrong thing in the current circumstances, yet he keeps getting tossed the ball under the "he'll come good" approach to selection.

As well as blaming Ponting's failings as a captain, I put a huge chunk of blame on the psychologist! They have the playing squad and selectors totally deluded about their abilities and hence the players are playing to their fantasized capabilities and not to their real inabilities. Consequently I see Australia continuing to lose matches, lots of them, until the psych's are changed and the squad stops living in a delusion of capability.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Thats a bit harsh re Punter...take two of the best bowlers in the games history out of the one side and guess what...your gunna struggle to replace them...

Umpiring has been ordinary in AUstralias second dig....

2 of the 5 were clearly not out, the 3rd if referred would have been given not out...why wasnt it reffered...like the Katich one of Bopara?

Both umpires should be sent home - dismal performance...

Re the POMS, they have certainly outplayed us and deserve to be in the drivers seat...but I would have preffered that the outs were out...
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

i agree, sir.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

wow... it could be a interesting final day.. be funny if we won this one :)
eek