My 1994 MX-5

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Bauer

Re: My 1994 MX-5

Post by Bauer »

Well I havent had much to say about the Miata lately so I thought Id drop in an update

For my birthday in late April I bought myself a new head unit to replace the radio cassette. I bought an Alpine CDE-101E which is fully iPhone compatible which a lot of units arent (Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood for eg). Just today I hopped in it, plugged the phone in and merrily listened to Roy and HG's podcast on the way to work. :D

To save my old aging body, I bought a wiring harness off ebay so that I could do all the wiring in the workbench and not under the dash. Made life so much easier and $12 odd well spent.

Wiring the harness to the head unit wiring

Installed!!!

The MX-5 is so compact that when Im in 1st/3rd/5th I can change the volume without taking my hand off the shifter :D
--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Nice work!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Looks great :)
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

I lashed out and bought a set of coilovers a few weeks ago.

Unpacked the box and look what I find. Nice shiny coilovers and the crappiest photo ever. Must have been shaking with delight :)

gotta love a free shirt :D

All fitted

The look. This shot doesnt really show it as the left rear is in slight dip and the left front is on a slight hump and I did drop the front another 10mm the weekend after this shot was taken.

I fitted a new steering wheel last weekend. Pics when I get new bolts as the old allen key headed bolts were not the best by the time I got them undone :D
--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

:yes:

Like it!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Lookin' good Stu!
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

nice Stu, it's edging away from a homosexuals car to a bisexuals car now. :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Bauer wrote:I bought an Alpine CDE-101E which is fully iPhone compatible which a lot of units arent (Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood for eg).
I'm looking at getting a head unit myself... And iPhone compatibility is my main priority. Does this unit do hands free calling etc as well? I imagine it connects via bluetooth... can you control skipping tracks, and pause and volume etc from it? Also is there a range of alpines that integrate well with an iPhone? I work at JB so should be able order in just about any one I want at a good price.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

DexterPunk wrote:I'm looking at getting a head unit myself... And iPhone compatibility is my main priority. Does this unit do hands free calling etc as well? I imagine it connects via bluetooth... can you control skipping tracks, and pause and volume etc from it? Also is there a range of alpines that integrate well with an iPhone? I work at JB so should be able order in just about any one I want at a good price.
What I bought was the base model as such. A bit like buying a base model Mazda 323 Vs a Ford Laser L. The base Alpine does heaps more than the base Sony,Pioneer but isnt priced against the base models.

So I could have gone much much more in $$$ and features but my budget didnt extend. So when you are looking, make sure you look at what it is capable of, what extras you can buy for it to make it do what you want and go from there.

The research I did told me that iPod ready doesnt mean iPhone ready. They might play the music but they wont charge the phone due to a voltage difference between the 2 types. All current model Alpine units do charge the phone - via an often extra cost cable (that I had included in my price)

so what I got for my money was a unit that charges the phone as well as give me head unit control of the iPod functions. To get phone usage as well would mean going to a higher spec model which I couldnt justify as the only person I speak to on my phone is Haze.

hope that helps :yes:
--------------
Stu
pab

Post by pab »

Bauer wrote:as the only person I speak to on my phone is Haze.
Bloody hell, I'd expect them to knock off a couple of hundred on a unit that included that feature!
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Alpine CDA-117E what I use, I went to JB's wall of headunits to test them out, one of the best out there if not the best in my opinion

they didnt have any CDA-9886's left but they can be found around the place still if you have a good look
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

well I think it is game over as far as the ultimate car on ARSE :nod:

:redcar:

anyone else has an emoticon of their car on here that can prove otherwise? :D
--------------
Stu
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Can we at least have hairdresser\hairdryer\shopping trolley\man accessory graffitied on it or something. He cant be allowed to get away with this surely!
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

I lowered the front another 10mm a couple of weeks ago.

I very nearly bought a front spoiler for it but when I was parked at work I noticed the front only just cleared the concrete parking thingies that stop you going to far forward so I decided against it.
--------------
Stu
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Looks good! Doesn't a 13B drop into those?
petey

Post by petey »

LOL

I highly doubt it would be a simple drop in, however they are tiny engines so wouldn't surprise if you could fit one.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Dunno, was chatting to a mate of mine last night who used to own a S1 RX7 with a turbo port 13B, and he was pretty certain that they go in the MX5's without too much messing around.

Then again, he spent over 9k modding his RX7, so what he considers 'without too much messing around', might be different to most.
petey

Post by petey »

Well it would be about as much messing around as any engine conversion one would expect. The upside to it is that you end up with an incredible power/weight ratio.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

petey wrote:The upside to it is that you end up with an incredible power/weight ratio.
The downside... your car would sound like a rubber band :aussie:
petey

Post by petey »

An incredibly lethal monster like rubber band if done correctly ;)

*cough*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN-Yg3L7 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RV0s5cZ ... re=related
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yeah the 13B can sounds awesome in my opinion... I guess what ever floats ya boat. As we all know, I like jap cars... and often girly ones :D
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

I dont mind a rotary but I have zero experience with them so for that alone, I wouldnt have one. If it doesnt suck, squeeze, bang and blow in a manner that is comprehensible to me, I dont want it. Was a big enough move to go to these fuel injection thingies :)
--------------
Stu
petey

Post by petey »

The rotary is actually ten times simpler to me. Just google for information. ;)
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

DexterPunk wrote:yeah the 13B can sounds awesome in my opinion... I guess what ever floats ya boat. As we all know, I like jap cars... and often girly ones :D

13b sounds awesome? Maybe if people held them at 5 grand at the traffic lights..But idling bwap bwap bwap I have serious thoughts about putting sand into noisy rotaries fuel tanks, they are shocking!
petey

Post by petey »

I love the rotaries with lumpy idle :p each to their own ey.