the New iphone

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
wabbit

Re: the New iphone

Post by wabbit »

Nutty I would have thought in 2008 the 3G blew everyone away, with a much faster CPU and 3G connectivity. While in 2009 the 3GS provided real world performance increases. Are you thinking 2.5 years after the first iPhone (2G of 2007) others still had not a single handset to compete with?

How many weeks or months will it take the iPhone 4S to beat the sales figures of the SGS2 (10M) is my question.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Quick speed question for someone in the office.

Is the Samsungs A9 processor faster that the 4S' new A5 processor? I have NFI and they are trying to figure out what to get next.

This is all ive been able to find but it dosnt mean to much to me.
http://www.arm.com/products/processors/ ... tex-a5.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.arm.com/products/processors/ ... tex-a9.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

It's still a one versus many kind of thing though. To compare a single Android phone versus an iPhone doesn't seem quite right as lots of people tend to decide Android or iOS and then shop the Android phones off against each other rather than, say an iPhone 4 versus a SGS2. Then again, it's not fair to just compare Android phone sales to iOS phone sales as there's so many different makers going up against the one.

If more than one manufacturer had access to iOS or there was only one manufacturer selling Android then perhaps it would be a clearer picture but as it is I don't think an actual direct comparison can be made in outright sales figures.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

News around the campfire this moirning is that the new iPhone wont work on Telstra's 4G network.

Will keep you lot posted.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

the New iphone

Post by DexterPunk »

Won't it just run at 3G speed then? My 3Gs isn't 4G capable and still works on Telstra.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Knappo, I think neither as both are custom SoC's enhanced from a base spec ARM A9. Once Anandtech do a review we'll all be clearer. As both OSes attack the SoC differently and Apple has under clocked almost every iPhone compared to the iPad version (ie: ipad 1 @ 1Ghz while best guess is the iPhone 4 runs at 800Mhz).

I personally think its a dickhead move to still compare just 1 raw spec when mobile devices are configured so different (SoC and OS).
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Thanks very much Wabz ill let him know. He asked the question this morning and i just looked at him with a blank face lol.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:Won't it just run at 3G speed then? My 3Gs isn't 4G capable and still works on Telstra.
Yes, thats right, but the iPhone 4S is limited to 14.4Mbps, and that is never going to happen in real world. A lot of other phones are already doing 20+Mbps on the new Telstra network. I will dig up some screen shots if I can find them on Twitter.

Just seems odd that the latest iPhone doesn't have the latest tech.

AND STILL NO FM RADIO!!!!!!!! :no: :no:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

the New iphone

Post by DexterPunk »

Haha internet radio should work.

I don't think the 4G thing will bother me much. I mainly use my phone on wifi, and when I'm out and about it's usually a quick google search for something... Or to read this forum haha. Epic download speed is not something that I think will effect me personally.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Actually thats a good point Norbs for Knappo. The base A9 chip has an FM trans-whoiwhatsit. Now Samsung want it and wire it up from the SoC to the main board of the phone (so it'll actually work).

Apple on the other hand cut the cord so the FM part cant be seen by the SoC nor any other part of the phone. Why bother doing all the extra steps to stop it, in basic terms it's another battery saver. It can't be accessed at all providing slightly better battery life (even when FM isn't in use the SoC would still be powering that part to some degree).

But hang on who cares about the FM part using a tiny bit of power, when you look at all the various parts using each a tiny bit of power it all adds up.

*the above is all in very basic terms, no need to take me to town on the exactness of it :P

I'm trying to work out the differences between the SGS2 and iPhone 4S (I might need help here)

2G: both do 850, 900, 1800, 1900
3G: both do 850, 900, 1900, 2100
CDMA: who gives a toss
Size: Samsung says the thinnest point is 8.5 (doesn't talk about the rest being thicker, to which the courts ruled the SGS2 isn't actually the thinnest phone).
Weight: Beats the 4S being 116g compared to 140g
Screen: .8" larger (480x800 217ppi) compared to 640x960 326ppi
Both use "Gorilla glass" just that Apple don't wish to state it
CPU: should be much faster being at least 200Mhz faster
HSDPA: 21 vs 14 -- that's a clear winner
Battery: the SGS2 should get a longer life with a larger battery being 1650mAh compared to a 1420mAh

I'm keen to see some real world tests, which should really compare the difference in OS make up.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

norbs wrote:News around the campfire this moirning is that the new iPhone wont work on Telstra's 4G network.

Neither does the SGSII or nearly ANY phones on the market at the moment.. Will be a LONG time before Telstra's 4G network is usable outside the CBD of Syd and Melb...

Apple have done what they needed to do.. bump the specs.. add some software upgrades.. the hordes will follow..
eek
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Not the second coming like all the fanbois wanted for bragging rights, arguably inferior overall compared to the top of the line Android handsets but still a decent upgrade nonetheless and will sell well as pix says.
I think the problem Apple faces nowadays is that newer and better Android phones are coming out all the time, a yearly refresh of the iphone will see them fall further and further behind.

I just read that Samsung are planning to block the sale of the 4s in France and Italy, it'll give me a good chuckle if they do the same here, serves them right for blocking the galaxy tab. Not to say I agree with all this patent business but it just desserts as far as I'm concerned.
Montey

Post by Montey »

pixelboy wrote:
norbs wrote:News around the campfire this moirning is that the new iPhone wont work on Telstra's 4G network.

Neither does the SGSII or nearly ANY phones on the market at the moment.. Will be a LONG time before Telstra's 4G network is usable outside the CBD of Syd and Melb...

Apple have done what they needed to do.. bump the specs.. add some software upgrades.. the hordes will follow..
There is supposed to be an LTE version of the SGSII on the way (any time now), but over on Whingepool there is a robust argument about whether it will work in Australia with the non-LTE portions of the network.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
norbs

Post by norbs »

Had to happen...

[youtube] [/youtube]

Oh and Pix, I asked the nerds again this morning about the 4G network. Apparently the S2 and others run HSDPA which will at least give you 21Meg as opposed to 4S 14.4Meg. He then went into the techno shizzle about channels and LTE vs HSDPA and I drifted off to my happy place. :)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

iPhone has done HSPDA for some time also.. You wouldn't of seen it as Optus and Voda are only just launching HSPDA now

They are both top shelf phones..no doubt... Its like choosing between a lambo or a Ferrari..
eek
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I ordered a black 16Gb 4S.
I only change my phone every 6-8 years so it'll do me for quite a while. It does what I want/need it to do.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

the New iphone

Post by DexterPunk »

How much they charging for a 16GB version?
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

£499 in the UK.
$A790
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
norbs

Post by norbs »

Big Kev wrote:I ordered a black 16Gb 4S.
I only change my phone every 6-8 years so it'll do me for quite a while. It does what I want/need it to do.
I am tipping at least 2 battery swap outs in 8 years. :)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

The 4S might out sell the iPhone 4... More information is required though.
AT&T, Apple's original wireless carrier partner for the iPhone, announced on Friday that it had received more than 200,000 pre-orders for the iPhone 4S in the first 12 hours on offer, making it the most successful iPhone launch ever for the company.
So I'm thinking AT&T didn't get that many pre-orders in 12 hours for the iPhone 4.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I think thats likely to be because its also been ~2 years since the 3GS (June/July 09), seeing most contracts are 24 months this means alot of people have been holding out for a "iPhone 5" and just jumped on the 4GS bandwagon.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

the New iphone

Post by DexterPunk »

nutty wrote:I think thats likely to be because its also been ~2 years since the 3GS (June/July 09), seeing most contracts are 24 months this means alot of people have been holding out for a "iPhone 5" and just jumped on the 4GS bandwagon.
Pretty much my situation there.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

If I had of stuck in the iWorld then the 4S would have seen me upgrade, when the 4 was hyping up I was keen to upgrade but when the details hit the street the difference from the 3GS wasn't worth my trouble :)

I'd be interested if the 5 does the same thing a little under the expectation of what the new version will bring and then the 5S will be the one to buy

On a side not LOVING my SGSII, they seemed to spread like wild fire in my office since the first ones arrived. I'd say 80% of the 3GS owners here switched over
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

what dont you like about the SGSII?
h00ligan

Post by h00ligan »

When comparing mobile hardware it's meaningless without the correct application benchmarking. Alot of people overlook the fact that these devices run on different operating systems and applications are compiled using different languages and methods
Image Image Image Image