rFactor IS OUT NOW!

ISI's new sim rFactor
Latch

Post by Latch »

Sarsippius wrote:Call me cheap but the major disadvantage to my mind is having to fork over money trusting some third party to refund it if you so desire. I can't see many people new to sim racing or rFactor being willing to do this.
I'm on Sarsi's side here. It can't possibly be called a demo by having to fork out money, and then having to follow them up and chase them up about your money. From ISI's view, they wouldn't want this refund business to be going on too much. It'd be a nightmare having thousands of clients wanting refunds. As if they'd want all the extra hassle.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Great news LFS fanboys, there is a demo http://www.rfactor.net/index.php?page=downloads I suggest either try it, buy the full game, or be quiet before commenting anymore.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Latch wrote:
Sarsippius wrote:Call me cheap but the major disadvantage to my mind is having to fork over money trusting some third party to refund it if you so desire. I can't see many people new to sim racing or rFactor being willing to do this.
I'm on Sarsi's side here. It can't possibly be called a demo by having to fork out money, and then having to follow them up and chase them up about your money. From ISI's view, they wouldn't want this refund business to be going on too much. It'd be a nightmare having thousands of clients wanting refunds. As if they'd want all the extra hassle.
Its called extortion.

I saw someone say in ISI's defense that they are a small team. LFS is a massive corporation too.

The rFactor menu system is at best, FUCKED!!!! I tried to get online this morning. Thats FUCKED too.

Like LFS, it has a lot that needs doing, it has some good points, but is so far away from the ground breaking sim that we were promised it is unbelievable.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I can't see why everyone is complaining about the menu's, i haven't had anymore trouble figuring it out than any other game. The LFS fan boys just assume that if it's different to the way LFS does it then it's not right.
Barge

Post by Barge »

:rofl:
This is getting good this thread :nod:
I agree that rFactor is far from what we were led to believe it would be. And the menus look a bit cheesy :p
As y'all know, I am a LFS 'fanboy'. However i have been buying "racing sims" for a loooong time. GPL, Nacsar (about 5 of em). EA's F1 series, LFS and now rFactor.
It's always a fine line between which one gets me in. The 'immersion factor' has to be a combination of things i think
1)As real as possible physics. Who the hell knows?? I drive a Mazda 323, fwd, 120hp dohc 1.8 4, 5 spd, 205/50 tyres, and no "sim" has ever felt anything like it...(tho why anyone would make an Astina sim i have no idea)
2)Performance and quality - good fps and convincing graphics. Convincing so that some part of mind is convinced it looks real enough. Plus a little attention to details like tyre marks, smoke, damage..
3)sound...very important.
4)Online????????

In yer own minds rate your favorite sim against any other one sim that didn't quite "get" you using these 4 things. Usually one is lacking by a fair way..
The GTR in S2 cars don't feel right to me...(not knowing what a GTR car feels like)...for whatever reason... The sounds, while accuratly telling me what my "engine" is doing, sound like a Windows default sound..
For example, today I did a few races in a FOX in LFS, then switched to the F3 Mod for rFactor and the sound alone blew me outa my chair.
The FOX seems so light, so unstable...the F3 feels like it's on rubber...theres grip..i can feel it... :rolleyes:
LFS attracted me for so long coz of the amazing netcode and the ok everything else. Now rFactor has a damn fine netcode and the potential (with mods and tracks) to be really really good.
RFactor as is seems like a bare bones kinda thing...credit to ISI they will make $$$$$$$. But a 70's f1 mod, or a Mini Cooper mod, or a V8 Supercars mod, or a ETCC mod, ...will be worth the wait ... :nod:
Unless S2 full version changes all the things that pushed me away from LFS, i'll be giving rFactor mods and tracks a go. Hopefully it will attract as good a bunch of folks as LFS & GPL has.
norbs

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:I can't see why everyone is complaining about the menu's, i haven't had anymore trouble figuring it out than any other game. The LFS fan boys just assume that if it's different to the way LFS does it then it's not right.
Nope. LFS is easy. Nascar used to be easy. rFactor isnt easy to get around in. Im sure after playing it it will be easy, but its not intuitive.

What we need is rFactors sound in LFS and more low speed grip.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Hey Norbs - why hold back, why dont you tell us what you really think!!! :)

My 2 cents worth, as a guy who has moved from GPL, to N2003, To LFS, to potentially RF.

I like LFS, it has many good points. Tracks are great, cars look good, has a great online skins management thingy, has a great community supporting it and has great variety...

On the other side it lacks quality sound and is no where near as immersive as other sims, plus I guess some would say its a bit of an arcade game (I dont think so).

I am gunna give RF a go as I think what we are seeing right herem right now is the start of a great sim. The mods that will come will be good, if the F3 mod is anything to go by.

The comments re the FOX and the F3, or even the advanced trainer are spot on. I took a fox out and it appeared after driving the trainer and the F3 that I was standing still in the fox...the sense of speed in RF is really good.

Anyway, we will always have different preferences I guess, some will like RF and some will not. I will most likely keep playing both as LFS still has appeal, but feel once the mods start rolling in, it might get put on the back burner.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I hadn't thought the menus were that bad in rFactor. Once you find out what's under each major heading it's just like every other ISI sim. The problem is if you're not used to it. In which case I guess you would indeed say that it isn't intuitive. I'd agree to some respect but LFS is just as bad. The Papy sims were all pretty straight forward as to where everything was but LFS is a bit of a nightmare. When I ask how to change some stuff when I'm online there are some of the experienced LFS who still can't give me an answer straight away. Nah, ISI stuff & LFS are both pretty dodgy with regards to menus.

As for the rest of the thing. Well, I don't like the graphics and since I'm not doing much online racing, which is where it shines, I've barely played it since I got it. LFS S2 hasn't ended up grabbing me either. Actually, it did grab me but then I got bored again pretty quick. Don't find the cars fun to drive (except the FO8) and it lacks immersion.

So, I've gone back to GTL. It's Simbin, and judging by GTR, it will get a very mixed reaction. But my main thing with it is that I love driving the classic cars. Especially with the 3 pedals & shifter setup.

If rFactor can get the kind of graphics that are in GTL and have some mods like V8s, PTC etc then I'll jump back into it but since I'm mostly driving offline where it mainly comes down to my enjoyment of how a car handles then I'll stick with what I'm at for a bit.

It's great to see as many sims out there as there are though. People will always have their favourites for logical or illogical reasons. I've found something to have fun in so I'm happy. :tilt:
norbs

Post by norbs »

Mick, I agree about getting to know the system. I also realise that LFS is less than perfect.

I am still hammering away at rFactor. It is getting better, but there is hardly anyone playing it online.

I suppose the biggest problem I have with it is that I expected to much from it. It seems to have been hyped for months. I am going to wipe the slate clean and give it more of a go after the GTR series. But unless there are more people playing it than LFS, it will have to take a back seat.
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

norbs wrote:I am still hammering away at rFactor. It is getting better, but there is hardly anyone playing it online.
That surprises me.....the LFS servers have been a little quiet...I assumed everybody was playing RF.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

I really enjoyed the rF demo from way back, but not going to buy rF just yet (demo pending). I just don't want another sim to be a waste of money like GTR was for me when I still enjoy LFS :) The refund system sounds a little frustrating too.

Since LFS is still being developed, and far from complete, I'll hang in there until after S3. Right now I'm happy with LFS as my racer and BF2 as my break from racing... and god damn it Coopz, I neally got that head shot on you last night but you freaken moved as I squeezed the trigger and it hit you in the chest - stupid US sniper rifle and it's slow arse bolt action, you were long gone by the time my next shot was loaded :(

What a pointless post :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

norbs wrote:Mick, I agree about getting to know the system. I also realise that LFS is less than perfect.

I am still hammering away at rFactor. It is getting better, but there is hardly anyone playing it online.

I suppose the biggest problem I have with it is that I expected to much from it. It seems to have been hyped for months. I am going to wipe the slate clean and give it more of a go after the GTR series. But unless there are more people playing it than LFS, it will have to take a back seat.
Yeah, it was way over-hyped. That's one to blame the community on though. Don't know how it happened but the community worked itself up and then that ASS article didn't help. I don't recall the devs doing a great deal of promoting. It's the type of game that the community has wanted for a long time so maybe it promised too much. Still, I reckon the base work is all there. It's not missing a great deal in features. Just needs refining and more cars/tracks.

I tried out the F3 mod for a couple of laps and it does feel good. I really like the ISI tyre modelling these days and the sound craps on LFS. So, with the right work rFactor could be a real winner but I'm not a huge fan out of the box. :tilt:
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

Exar Kun wrote: So, with the right work rFactor could be a real winner but I'm not a huge fan out of the box. :tilt:
I thought you have made the change to RF and you no lnger had time for LFS anymore EK?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Sterling wrote:
Exar Kun wrote: So, with the right work rFactor could be a real winner but I'm not a huge fan out of the box. :tilt:
I thought you have made the change to RF and you no lnger had time for LFS anymore EK?
I've decided I don't have time for either. :D
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

Exar Kun wrote:
Sterling wrote:

Ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaa.....yeah.......I need a high paying/small hours job....you know of any? :tilt:
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Norbs

Might help if you make a small change to your Multiplayer INI file, its in the userdata/yourname/folder I think.
This from Gav at Austeam, it should allow you to see more servers, apparently its set a 40 max out of the box.

Have noticed that the servers lists in the game lobby shows different servers almost each time you refresh the list. It is because there is more servers online than the list can show.

Open your UserData\Me\ folder, open the mutiplayer.ini and go to this line :
Concurrent Server Updates="40" and increase the number of servers like this :
Concurrent Server Updates="100"

Now you will have a lot more servers in your list.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Sterling wrote:
Exar Kun wrote:
Sterling wrote: I thought you have made the change to RF and you no lnger had time for LFS anymore EK?

Ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaa.....yeah.......I need a high paying/small hours job....you know of any? :tilt:
Yep, psychology. My sister earns in 6 hours what I earn in 38... :(
norbs

Post by norbs »

thanx Haydyn, will give it a go.

In game voice chat???Does that work?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

norbs wrote: The rFactor menu system is at best, FUCKED!!!! I tried to get online this morning. Thats FUCKED too.
There is a mod here that makes the main menu better
http://www.thepits.us/board/viewtopic.php?t=1699

I agree it's not hugely intuitive but I got used to it pretty quickly. I didn't find LFS to be intuitive either.

For that ini fix, Hazelb, you need to set it to 150. I've found 100 isn't enough.

The in game voice was disabled for release because they weren't happy with it.
norbs

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:
norbs wrote: The rFactor menu system is at best, FUCKED!!!! I tried to get online this morning. Thats FUCKED too.
There is a mod here that makes the main menu better
http://www.thepits.us/board/viewtopic.php?t=1699

I agree it's not hugely intuitive but I got used to it pretty quickly. I didn't find LFS to be intuitive either.

For that ini fix, Hazelb, you need to set it to 150. I've found 100 isn't enough.

The in game voice was disabled for release because they weren't happy with it.
Excellent. Thats better.

I tried the F3 mod this morning. Yup, things are looking better already. :)
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Good to hear you're slowly getting to like it Norb's. Yeah it's not much out of the box, so to speak, but the potential is massive for this.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Birmingham track has been released:
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=223253
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

was skeptical myself. i bought it as soon as the pre-paid was offered. and i wasn't impressed one bit. but the F3 mod has saved this game from being deleted like so many other games that i have bought over the years

now all i need is some good F3 set's and ill be happy
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I found a "demo" of rfactor the other night,
Sorry to disappoint those who like it, but I found it to be hopeless. I understand its a different approach to live for speed, but lfs is just twenty times better.

The big difference between the two is, live for speed is designed with us the players in mind, making sure that we can race online well. This just feels like they didn't bother, menus are hopeless, views are horable and it just doesnt feel right.

I understand the need for sim games to feel realistic, but you also need to remember that
gameplay is always more important then realism.