Forum user pet peeves

all the ARSE dribble
petey

Re: Forum user pet peeves

Post by petey »

DexterPunk wrote:'the bride'. It seems so divorced from emotion somehow. In a similar way to which I dislike 'partner'. Why not just say girlfriend or boyfriend? Is that meant to be too juvenile? It seems more affectionate to me. I think the 'the' has a lot to do with it in this case though. If it were 'my bride' used in the sentence I don't think I'd feel the same way.
It is not manly to show affection, since we are all men here. I suggest you read the book. :lol:

- Sheps
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
richo

Post by richo »

I use wife but i am guilty of calling her the Ministry of Finance . Yes it's a bit lame but she Finance Director at one of the biggest ad agencies around so i guess it fits?
[]D [] []v[] []D
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

DexterPunk wrote:I think I only have one that irritates me a little, and I think almost everyone here does it, so without trying to offend anyone... 'the bride'. It seems so divorced from emotion somehow. In a similar way to which I dislike 'partner'. Why not just say girlfriend or boyfriend? Is that meant to be too juvenile? It seems more affectionate to me. I think the 'the' has a lot to do with it in this case though. If it were 'my bride' used in the sentence I don't think I'd feel the same way.
I think boyfriend/girlfriend sounds too informal in some circumstances. Not saying that 'the bride' or 'the missus' is any better. 'Partner' sounds politically correct, even if it feels distant from emotion.

- A.

Sent from a Windows Phone, not connected to anything in this topic. I just want to highlight my alternative nature in every post.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I uses the term 'Missus' even though she is still a Miss. Sometimes she may also be referred to as 'the accountant', 'the gee-eff' or simply 'bitch'.

I don't like to use partner as I believe that term is reserved for business and gay couples.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

richo wrote:I use wife but i am guilty of calling her the Ministry of Finance . Yes it's a bit lame but she Finance Director at one of the biggest ad agencies around so i guess it fits?
Ministry of war and finance....
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
richo

Post by richo »

bengatta wrote:
richo wrote:I use wife but i am guilty of calling her the Ministry of Finance . Yes it's a bit lame but she Finance Director at one of the biggest ad agencies around so i guess it fits?
Ministry of war and finance....
Indeed , Ministry of know everything as well :) You have to love them though .

Well apart from the first wife she turned outed to be a complete oxygen thief .
[]D [] []v[] []D
pogo

Post by pogo »

Enforcer-J wrote:I uses the term 'Missus' even though she is still a Miss.
I do that too, but it feels like I'm kinda cheating the blokes that have done the whole wedding dealie.

Now I try to just refer to her by name, and assume they work out our relationship.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Okay, here's my latest pet peeve: Facebook "Like me or else" pages.

Like this one called "1 million "likes" and my dad quits drugs. Please help." with its picture of a soldier holding a baby.
1 Like = 1 Respect For Soliders ♥

Ignore = You Don't Care :O
What the fuck has that got to do with giving up drugs?

Guess what? I don't care.

Fortunately, some have seen the light: there's one called "If you want to save the lives of helpless children do not like this page".
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
richo

Post by richo »

Not exactly a forum peeve but your right the rubbish on Facebook drives me nuts , like the sympathy cards posted for someone that nobody knows and then on posted with the tag "send this and cure cancer" or whatever bullshit.

In fact can we change the name of this thread to What Grinds My Gears ?

You No What Grinds My Gears Is The Use Of Capitals For Every Word.
[]D [] []v[] []D
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

People that say "....only in Sydney" or any other place.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Forum user pet peeves

Post by DexterPunk »

Only on arse would someone say that.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
petey

Post by petey »

DexterPunk wrote:Only on arse would someone say that.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
I See What You Did There.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
pab

Post by pab »

People who say "I see what you did there". Especially if you used capitals for each word.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
petey

Post by petey »

pab wrote:People who say "I see what you did there". Especially if you used capitals for each word.

You didn't see what I did there? :lol:
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

petey wrote:
pab wrote:People who say "I see what you did there". Especially if you used capitals for each word.

You didn't see what I did there? :lol:
I see what you did there.....
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I'm So Glad I Bumped This Thread.

:lol:
Speed

Post by Speed »

I've never seen it in this form so I'm not having a dig at anyone here. :)

My biggest pet peeve on forums is when someone with no photographic or photoshop skills at all, tries to give advice on how something should be done to someone else on the forum who is far more talented & knowledgeable than they will ever be. :nod:
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richo

Post by richo »

You should sell all your camera gear it's just a waste and buy an iPhone as they have retina display.
[]D [] []v[] []D
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

richo wrote:You should sell all your camera gear it's just a waste and buy an iPhone as they have retina display.
Flinty is fucked then
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Speed wrote:I've never seen it in this form so I'm not having a dig at anyone here. :)

My biggest pet peeve on forums is when someone with no photographic or photoshop skills at all, tries to give advice on how something should be done to someone else on the forum who is far more talented & knowledgeable than they will ever be. :nod:
There's a nature photography forum I read and every picture gets about 10 replies of 'great photo!' even if it's a shit out of focus fly. I feel like posting NO IT ISN'T! IT'S A SHIT PHOTO! :) Doesn't help them if they take fuzzy pictures and you tell them they're all brilliant. That's a peeve of mine.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Speed wrote:My biggest pet peeve on forums is when someone with no photographic or photoshop skills at all, tries to give advice on how something should be done to someone else on the forum who is far more talented & knowledgeable than they will ever be. :nod:
Oh man, don't start me on that. After 28 years of working professionally in film, television and stills photography, I get people waving MTF charts at me and telling me it's a crime to use my 300mm f/2.8 at f/20 because diffraction will ruin the shot (even if you can't see it).

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

richo

Post by richo »

Big Kev wrote:
Speed wrote:I've never seen it in this form so I'm not having a dig at anyone here. :)

There's a nature photography forum I read and every picture gets about 10 replies of 'great photo!' even if it's a shit out of focus fly. I feel like posting NO IT ISN'T! IT'S A SHIT PHOTO! :) Doesn't help them if they take fuzzy pictures and you tell them they're all brilliant. That's a peeve of mine.
That's a tough one cause most people do not have the eye or understanding to know whats good or bad they just know they like the content , and i am one of these people :)
[]D [] []v[] []D
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Yeah, until they start tossing off over sharpness.

Then they know everything.

Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Try uploading deliberate "lo-fi" audio tracks on to music forums... Yowsers
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Probably should point out that the Photography page on this forum is mercifully free of the wankers we have described. It also has more talent per byte uploaded than any other photography forum I've seen on the net...by far.