2010/11 Summer of Cricket

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I don't agree that hughes' technique is majorly floored. It's definitely unorthodox, but he is a hugely talented batsman.... Sometimes. I'm really very disappointed he couldn't stand up and do something in this series. As a youngster he's absolutely destroyed it. And even did very very well on South African soil with the Aussies. I still have confidence that he can be a batting force for us, but I do think he needs to go back and find his feet in shield cricket again.

There's something more wrong with the aussies than just a lack of superstar players. I think it basically has to come down to an issue with the mental approach within the team and perhaps even the coaching. They need to admit they are nowhere near the level they were several years ago and employ some humility before they can start to rebuild. Perhaps take a good hard look at the way England has approached the game in recent years. They have definitely been the better sportsmen.

On that note, big congrats to the poms and the arse supporters here. I was actually hoping we didn't square the series by the end. We just didn't deserve it.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: 2010/11 Summer of Cricket

Post by Johnny X »

1 -0 to the Poms in the mini cricket series :) :yes:
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Run of good fortune continues...saved again by a non Englishman...
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Was a good game to watch at least!
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Bloody oath it was
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Good to see that the girls get shafted by on going flood coverage. We were meant to see the Womans 20/20 in this area, which is on now.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Dr. Pain wrote:Good to see that the girls get shafted by on going flood coverage. We were meant to see the Womans 20/20 in this area, which is on now.
Its on GEM now - unless thats not what you meant.
--------------
Stu
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They were meant to be on 9 and I only found out late in the match it was on Gem from Cricket Australia website.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

well we won

My confidence in our ability to win has dropped. With 2 balls to go I thought we were gone :D
--------------
Stu
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Aye, 1 - 1 in the mini series. I thought we were out of it with an over to go.... and then :eek:
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

International 11 - 294...

Gave the Aussies no chance...

Bowled and fielded like retarts..especially Haddin.

Stellar innings SW, dominated.

Good win Australia...great to see the POMs under pressure.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

That was a HUGE innings by watto! Freaking legend.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Was good to watch. loving these close matches, regardless of the result. Heck of an innings by Watson, he's in a class of his own of late. Are we finally starting to see a decent team again?
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Hz-Lab wrote:Was good to watch. loving these close matches, regardless of the result. Heck of an innings by Watson, he's in a class of his own of late. Are we finally starting to see a decent team again?
Not on the way we fielded and bowled...at least 3 stumpings missed by Haddin.

I worry that Hilditch thinks hes our best keeper batsman, he stated that earlier in the week....I think Payne is better behind the stumps, and just as good with the bat. The young Vic keeper is also handy (I think its Wade)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Haddin is certainly not the best keeper going around. His batting (when he's on it) is what keeps him there.

Not sure it's a return of a good team from just a one man show. But it sure was fun to watch.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Someone asked me who my fave player was the other day and I struggled to name anyone but settled with Watson. I think it's justified now :) brilliant innings!
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

good effort by Watson. Agree with the comments on Haddin too. Time to go. Paine is a much better long term option.

I liked Swann's comments the other night on the aussie's bowling their quicks on a pitch better suited to slower bowling. He said it was the aussie way. If you can bowl 150mph then you do. An ego thing.
--------------
Stu
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Great innings by Watson :(
Montey

Post by Montey »

Excellent innings by Watson, but..... what would the result have been if Watson had been out early on in his innings.

My concern is that the cracks get painted over by one individual's brilliant, but uncommon, performance. The Australian scorecard shows that whilst Haddin and Clarke got in the 30's and Hussey and White got in the 20's, these can hardly be a demonstration of depth within the squad. Compare this to England who had 3 players scoring over 40, I think England have a claim to a more consistent performance. Without Watson putting in a blinder we'd likely have lost this, and badly.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

It was nice to see 10 out of the 11 guys make some sort of solid contribution though, only Doherty did not either get a wicket or some runs. It looked like a giant cluster fuck at times but just having everyone chipping in made a nice change.
Clarke looked terrible though and getting out when he did was a huge help. I did like promoting Smith to a pinch hitter role, it didn't really work but it was nice to see some creative thinking from the brains trust.
XLV SPORT
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

These last few limited over matches have somewhat livened up my spirits a bit. Although what Montey said about Watto saving the game for us is true one can only hope someone else in the team finds form and fast. The other thing that i believe takes some credit away from the Aussies is the second rate team England have for the limited over form of the game with the likes of Cook and Anderson nowhere to be found.
Either way im off to the GABBA on the 30th for the ODI and hopefully i'll see a match similar to the other nights thriller (hopefully with the same outcome :D )
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Kawaja overlooked to replace Hussey - Shaun Marsh getting that gig.
What a waste.
XLV SPORT
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Jiminee wrote:Kawaja overlooked to replace Hussey - Shaun Marsh getting that gig.
What a waste.
May have gotten this one a bit wrong- Khwaja to replace Clarke then?
XLV SPORT
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

:(

2 down
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist