iSafety iRatings

iRacing
DarrenM

Re: iSafety iRatings

Post by DarrenM »

thornz wrote:Just got my SR up to 4.47 :)
But, just looked at the cost to race the skip barber series, its another $60!! two extra tracks and the car itself!
Also, how come there is no Formula Mazda series?
$54 because you get a 10% discount when you buy 3-5 items. Less any credits you have from your subscription. Still not cheap, but it's a car I can see myself driving for quite a while.

I wish it were just a flat price per series. $20-30 or something would be better.

There is no Mazda series yet because it's the C license level car and nobody has a C license yet. It wouldn't surprise me if one starts in August because the beta testers will be able to go up to the C license then and they'll need a series to drive :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Righteous wrote:I guess with a years subscription, you basically get to enter the skip season for free with your 60 bucks credit.
that's what I did :up:
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
thornz

Post by thornz »

Hey Darren, if I just buy the car, without the two extra tracks for the moment, can I still enter in the series? I plan to buy the tracks to do the rounds, but just can't quite afford to purchase all three at once at the present time?
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

i can answer that thornz, the answer is yes, you can do that. In fact, If you don't have the coin, there is no reason why you can't miss those rounds either.
thornz

Post by thornz »

Cheers, just bought the car and downloading it now. Hope its as good as everyone says :)
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

This is a great game. The best sim out in my opinion. But the cost is just too high. At present I can't see this being a successful project for the devs at such a cost. It's a shame cuz this was exactly what I was looking for. They just needa can the added costs for tracks and cars and leave it at subscription.
Sadly at the moment I can't see myself goin past the one month trial.

Does anyone know if there's been ranting about this topic on the official forums?
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
thornz

Post by thornz »

WOW!!!!!
Just did some laps in the Skip Barber, by far the most involving car I have ever raced in a sim before, so twitchy, yet so responsive, just an absolute pleasure to drive! You take your mind of it for a second and feels like it will laugh at you and throw you into a wall, every little bump shakes through the wheel, Ive actually got sore arms from doing ten laps! Had to turn down the force feedback, I was worried it was gonna shake my wheel to bits! Seriously impressed with this car!
Fandango wrote:This is a great game. The best sim out in my opinion. But the cost is just too high. At present I can't see this being a successful project for the devs at such a cost. It's a shame cuz this was exactly what I was looking for. They just needa can the added costs for tracks and cars and leave it at subscription.
Sadly at the moment I can't see myself goin past the one month trial.

Does anyone know if there's been ranting about this topic on the official forums?
On that note, I kinda have to agree with you there Fandango, as much as this is also the racing game of my dreams, the cost is still the biggest issue, think after this one month trial, I will add another three, just so I can do a season of the Skip Barber, but if the costs stay as high as they are, I will find it hard to justify.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Fandango wrote: Does anyone know if there's been ranting about this topic on the official forums?
none that I have seen. too many that are prepared to pay I guess and Im likely to be one of them. I will pay the sub and only buy what cars I need. I cant see me needing to spend too much - not the amount the naysayers are telling everyone I need to spend.

put it simple

I spend up to buy a 12 month sub = $156 ($13 p/m)

Thats what I need to do to get $60 iCredit to buy the Skippy and 2 tracks I need for that series.

So, only paying my monthly sub I can race 5 seperate series. 2x Solstice, 2x Legends and the Skippy series and I havent spent a cent over my monthly sub

Also note - There is no point me paying out extra to try the F Mazda or Radical or late model or SK modified. I cant actually race them yet. why waste my money when Im still learning the stuff I got with the monthly sub??

Is it expensive? - yes it is.
Can I afford it - yes I can.
Do I wish I was a beta tester and got all the additional content that was available for free - hell yes (but good luck to them)
--------------
Stu
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Posted my rant on the official forums if anyone's keen to add their opinion. I'm really interested as to what the devs think. Hopefully they don't take offense and jump on the defense. That's piss me off lol!

http://members.iracing.com/iforum/threa ... 9&tstart=0

I'm thinkin of goin three months and just gettin the skippy myself. Just to have a go. I can see you're point Bauer but for me 150 bucks is too much to fork out in one go. And even though we can't get the extra stuff yet when I get there I don't wanna pay for it. Having earnt it through solid safe racing should be enough lol.
thornz

Post by thornz »

One idea I would like, if instead of charging extra for all tracks etc, they should just charge a bit more for a yearly subscription, and then extra content is free of charge. For me, paying a larger one off fee, would be easier than, paying the yearly fee, and then extras on top of that. I don't know if that makes sense to anybody else, but I would just find it much easier to handle, instead if progressing only to find you need to spend a extra $60 to continue. Just prefer the concept of paying up front, and not having any extra costs throughout your subscription.

My two cents anyhow...
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

thornz wrote:One idea I would like, if instead of charging extra for all tracks etc, they should just charge a bit more for a yearly subscription, and then extra content is free of charge. For me, paying a larger one off fee, would be easier than, paying the yearly fee, and then extras on top of that. I don't know if that makes sense to anybody else, but I would just find it much easier to handle, instead if progressing only to find you need to spend a extra $60 to continue. Just prefer the concept of paying up front, and not having any extra costs throughout your subscription.

My two cents anyhow...
hear what you are saying and to a point I agree

however at the moment I cant race the other content so I wouldnt want to pay more per month for cars I can only test with

having said that, Im not for paying for extra content either :D
--------------
Stu
thornz

Post by thornz »

Bauer wrote:
thornz wrote:One idea I would like, if instead of charging extra for all tracks etc, they should just charge a bit more for a yearly subscription, and then extra content is free of charge. For me, paying a larger one off fee, would be easier than, paying the yearly fee, and then extras on top of that. I don't know if that makes sense to anybody else, but I would just find it much easier to handle, instead if progressing only to find you need to spend a extra $60 to continue. Just prefer the concept of paying up front, and not having any extra costs throughout your subscription.

My two cents anyhow...
hear what you are saying and to a point I agree

however at the moment I cant race the other content so I wouldnt want to pay more per month for cars I can only test with

having said that, Im not for paying for extra content either :D
Just had another thought on the matter, would also be good if they had different packages on offer, for example, a road racing package, and a oval package, and a complete road and oval package. Myself, I cant for the life of me get into turning left over and over, its just not my thing, yet I am effectively paying for something that I don't see myself ever using.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

thornz wrote:Just had another thought on the matter, would also be good if they had different packages on offer, for example, a road racing package, and a oval package, and a complete road and oval package. Myself, I cant for the life of me get into turning left over and over, its just not my thing, yet I am effectively paying for something that I don't see myself ever using.
That's I think a very nice idea. I'd subscribe to that as well. :)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

thornz wrote:Hey Darren, if I just buy the car, without the two extra tracks for the moment, can I still enter in the series? I plan to buy the tracks to do the rounds, but just can't quite afford to purchase all three at once at the present time?
Yep. However your best 8 of 12 rounds count and there 4 rounds at VIR and 4 at Infineon. If you wanted to achieve full points for the season you would need to get at least one of those.

Shame you can't trial things to see what they're like before purchasing. I couldn't choose a better one out of those 2 tracks. VIR has a little more variety in it's layouts though.
Fandango wrote:Posted my rant on the official forums if anyone's keen to add their opinion. I'm really interested as to what the devs think. Hopefully they don't take offense and jump on the defense. That's piss me off lol!
The devs have always been welcoming of discussions like that and there have been a few like it over issues such as the lack of a free trial/demo. It's probably the best way to try and influence their decisions, so don't be afraid to be critical :)
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

From an outsiders perspective I have found the last couple of days reading these threads very interesting, especially this one.
I was only just thinking this morning how the discussion had moved away from the intial hype of "this is the best thing since sliced bread" to "how can I maximise SR points to progress" now to "damn this is going to get expensive" which has conformed 2 of my initial concerns of iRacing.

1. This sim focuses too heavily on driving safely rather than finding you absolute limits without fear of going off. Don't get me wrong I am the 1st to applaud this system of trying to keep racing clean and most of you know that I have the same view with how we run LFSEA but to loose SR points in a practice situation surely means you can never push as hard as you would like without fear.
I am interested to know if you guys feel that way from experience?

2. Now that a few of you have progressed the cost issue has been raised. I still feel the dev's have missed the point with subscription based gaming, normally you pay for the core which provides everything some locked until you earn the right to unlock it and the subscription is to cover other peripheral & admin costs (servers & patches etc). I can see why they have done it the way they have as all the content isn't finished and this provides a way for them to release the game publicly before everything is ready but I think the pricing structure may be off the mark.
I understand that the 12 month subscription is the best way to go so you get maximum credit to use on other purchases but $156 / yr is 2-3 times the cost of other offerings that have far more content and without a demo to sample it is a huge commitment to make upfront.

Anyway this is how I see it at the moment from the outside.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

1 - safety ratings force you in some way to be careful. Test sessions are where you are on your own and now matter how many incident points you get, none of them count. This means you can test the limits without fear of hurting your ratings or damaging someone elses session

2 - I still feel like I did last week. I will pay to play for as long as my interest holds. Fro me, I will probably assess this annually. As for extra content I have always felt that signing up for 1 year was the way to go as it will give me the next series with my iDollars. If I feel that I am wanting say the oval equivalent of the skippy, I will happily pay for it. I guess in some weird way to almighty dollar will ultimately decide what and where I race.
--------------
Stu
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I just purchased myself the late model car to play with. It was my reward for not buying a $17 6-pack of which i would of drank in about 2 hours and had nothing to show for it.

Shiiiiit, iRacing is soooooo dear.

pfft to that.

And on the Safety ratings, I think they are tops, you can go hell for leather in testing and online practice. people have no real need to worry about safety ratings to be honest, you have a very long time to get up to the next level. I am almost at 4.0 and really, i have played bugger all. If you were to say, do 1 qual & 1 race a week, you should in theory progress to the next license by the end of the season. So i think the talk in here about it is a little misleading. It is NOT the number 1 priority.

All you guys who haven't played it yet I really hope you will all at least give it a months trial. So far i've had a blast.
thornz

Post by thornz »

Hz-Lab wrote:I just purchased myself the late model car to play with. It was my reward for not buying a $17 6-pack of which i would of drank in about 2 hours and had nothing to show for it.

Shiiiiit, iRacing is soooooo dear.

pfft to that.

And on the Safety ratings, I think they are tops, you can go hell for leather in testing and online practice. people have no real need to worry about safety ratings to be honest, you have a very long time to get up to the next level. I am almost at 4.0 and really, i have played bugger all. If you were to say, do 1 qual & 1 race a week, you should in theory progress to the next license by the end of the season. So i think the talk in here about it is a little misleading. It is NOT the number 1 priority.

All you guys who haven't played it yet I really hope you will all at least give it a months trial. So far i've had a blast.
2 hours to drink a six pack?? Thats a pretty piss poor effort isn't it? :lol:
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Yeah flinty i'm a little put off by the cost but as far as every other aspect of the game i'm very impressed. The safety side of things plays a part and if someone smashes you off you get bloody annoyed but you'd really have to have a shocking race to lose out in teh end. I push harder and harder every lap even when safety counts and so far the safety ratings have jus caused me to slowly work my way to faster pace than taking corners by trial and error.

For me everything in the game is great and the way you acheive and earn things is also fantastic... it's the dollars that make it hard. And there's been strong arguments that have made me sit back and think aswell... as in this is a hobby and i myself have even spent much more on certain hobbies... and lets not even get started on drinking! I think in the end the racing is just so much fun (Had my first at Laguna today and goddam I love that track!) I'll probably eat my words and save and spend the dosh anyway and jus continue to complain lol... maybe something will change... eventually.

Give it the one month trial at least though Flinty... you'll love it. (Give it more time than sterling anyways hehe ;) )
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

for those that have issues with the cost. i suggest do the $20 starter month.

then come back and give us your verdict.

and flinty, you can practise with others online, and crash and find the limit, without it affecting your rating.

see you all tonight, i'll be running in the oval races, and probably do a luguna Solstice race...

yeee har.!
balls & boobs. . .
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Flinty72 wrote:1. This sim focuses too heavily on driving safely rather than finding you absolute limits without fear of going off. Don't get me wrong I am the 1st to applaud this system of trying to keep racing clean and most of you know that I have the same view with how we run LFSEA but to loose SR points in a practice situation surely means you can never push as hard as you would like without fear.
I am interested to know if you guys feel that way from experience?
People freak out about the safety ratings when they start because it's something new to most people and they are pretty in your face so you can't help but think about them. That's why you're seeing negative impressions on it from some people just starting out.

I was really paranoid about them for the first week or as well, but it's fine when you get used to it. After you've done a bunch of races you begin to realise that you can get away with a few incident points and still advance easily you relax and focus back on the racing again. I'm still mindful of them of course, as they form the bounds of how you can drive a track, but lately I'm driving as just as hard as I did in rFactor and my fastest race laps are just as fast as my qualifying and practice laps.

What it has done is cause me to be more cautious around other cars which is a very good thing and the main point of the system. Racing rFactor was like an old BTCC barge fest. In iRacing it's much cleaner, but guys who have become used to the SR system still race just as hard.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I love the game. The SR while sounds tough, it's not. And the cost...really I think it's just a matter of getting used to; we're provided with very high quality content, everything is modelled to the maximum, and I think it's a small price we pay for that - the price of a six pack indeed!

Edit;
did I say game? No: I love this SIM, this is much more than a game, while it's heaps of fun.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Thanks guys for not blasting me to hell & back also thanks for all the info. It will help me decide what do to once (if) I get an invite via registering for updates.
It is good to hear practice session count towards your SR.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Flinty72 wrote:Thanks guys for not blasting me to hell & back also thanks for all the info. It will help me decide what do to once (if) I get an invite via registering for updates.
It is good to hear practice session count towards your SR.
um, they don't count flinty. typo?
balls & boobs. . .
thornz

Post by thornz »

As Darren has said, to start with I was shit scared of the SR system, but now after a bit of playing, I am a huge fan. Once you learn how the car handles, and the bumps and wee "personalities" of each track, you really start to push it and can enjoy the sim as much as LFS/rFactor, or whatever floats your boat. I just jumped into a qualifying session at Laguna having not turned a lap there, started off slowly, lapping in the 1:57s, then as I got used to the car and track, managed to get down into the 1:51s in about ten laps. Was quite a rewarding way to do things, instead of the approach I used to take in other sims, which was, drive as fast as possible staraight away, collect a barrier, escape back to pits, try it again at a slower speed etc. The system works well in creating a more realistic approach to learning new circuits and cars, which at first I didnt particulary like it, but now, I think its almost the best thing since sliced bread. :D the more I play it, the more I realize just how good this is. The money issue as stated previously is still my only gripe, however as people have pointed out, realistically when you look at it, its a dozen beers every now and then, it isn't a huge expense, and I'm starting to think that if this is the intial release, with more and more features to come, this sim can only get better and better, and the money is probably justified.

Edit: example of SR system not being a nasty scary monster, in that qualli session, I had one big spin, and a few wheels into the dirt that it recorded, yet my SR has still gone up 0.02 points, it really isnt as bad as so many people on other forums etc try to make it out to be.