Whitegoods help in here....

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
Peptis

Re: Whitegoods help in here....

Post by Peptis »

Hey Santa, I have a front-loading washing machine and it came with a bunch of bolts in the back of it that I had to remove before using it. I think they were there to stop the barrell (drum?) bumping about during travel.

I'm moving house this weekend, should I put the bolts back in?
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Oh, I know, I know. The correct answer is yes. At least that's what it said for mine when I read it in the manual..

:rtfm: :D
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

You don't really have to champ. If it's going long arse distances or it's going to be a rougher than normal run, then yeah chuck em back in. If not, it doesn't really matter. I never put them in around town when I'm pickin up customers units and never ever had a ding in one :) It's only stopping the bowl from clanging around inside the cabinet, but it also takes a fair whack to get the bowl to move that far with the springs and shocks still attached.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

Thanks guys :yes:
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

Well, im moving into my new house fairly soon, and my housemates have decided that we want a new fridge, along with Santaria's recommendation of brands like Westinghouse... Any other brands that our whitegood oracle would recommend? :)

Kelvinator
Bosch
Fisher & Paykel

Many thanks :)
Now with Added Flickr
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

9ra55h0ppaH wrote:Well, im moving into my new house fairly soon, and my housemates have decided that we want a new fridge, along with Santaria's recommendation of brands like Westinghouse... Any other brands that our whitegood oracle would recommend? :)

Kelvinator
Bosch
Fisher & Paykel

Many thanks :)
TL;DR Version: Buy Electrolux. Stick with a brand that's Aussie based and has Aussie interests and has Aussies manning the phones. Remember your Grandma's 20 year old Hoover, not much has changed since then. (In my opinion anyways)

Electrolux cover these brands:

Electrolux (Top of the line, Beez Kneez and you'll pay for it. Electronic everything just about)
Westinghouse (Electronics based i.e. LCD display, electronic defrost timer etc etc)
Simpson (Getting phased out, don't pay full price, LCD display, MECHANICAL defrost timer few electronics)
Kelvinator (Taking over form the Simpson brand for fridges/whitegoods. Exactly the same)
Hoover (Older models, not many around, still sell new. Keep It Simple Stupid theory (KISS) They just do what they were invented to do.)
AEG (Used to be owned by Andi-Co, but made by Electrolux. Electrolux has just recently bought them back. More of a Westinghouse style of fridge. Electronics mainly.)

LG are good products for the money, but the company are as dumb as a box of hammers. If you can get someone who speaks english enough to understand.... you' be lucky.

Fisher and Paykel USED to be a good brand, but they are fucking hopeless with electronics. Especially their fridges. Fisher and Paykell used to be built in New Zealand not they are a, and I quote, "New Zealand owned, American Based product, built by Mexicans" So I would personally stay away from them.

Bosch are pretty good, but over priced for what they are.

DO NOT touch Samsung. 6 month waiting time for parts... even if it is your FRIDGE... and another 6 to 9 months waiting time ON TOP of that for reimbursement of cash due to hiring a fridge. (It's that bad that Samsung don't have any repairers in a 200km radius from me.)

Ok, personal input:

If I was going to buy a brand spanking new fridge and had the money, I would buy either Electrolux or Westinghouse. They are well built units and the company is a pleasure to work for and with. Customer service 2nd to none.

If you're looking to save a few bucks, Simpson or Kelvinator. They are also well built systems but have the added bonus of not being fully electronically controlled and parts out of warranty are plenty and cheap. What I've said above goes for all white goods too. Not just fridges.

Always remember this also: Extended warranties aren't necessarily a rip-off. You have 2 years for components of the fridge (Shelves, defrost timer, doors etc etc) and 5 years for the sealed system (Compressor, piping, gas loss). Getting extended warranty is sometimes a good idea, especially if it's only like $50 each extra year or something like that but what you do need to do is make sure that the extended warranty company has a preferred repairer or wait times get long.

Buy a brand you know mostly. 90% of us would probably remember Grandma's 20yr old Hoover washing machine. Not much has changed build quality wise in Electrolux unless they outsource.. which to my knowledge has only happened once and a few years ago, they outsourced their A/C's to LG... sailed the fail boat that time.
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

Well, it looks like im going to need that new fridge sooner than i thought...

The 285L Phillips fridge i snaffled off the parents isnt doing much cooling, with 24c ambient temperature, its cooling to around 11.5c, the freezer is only managing -2.5c...

The fridge likes to make alot of popping and banging noises, especially in warmer weather.

the fridge is kind of old, so i get the feeling it wont be worth replacing, i also get the feeling that its why we have had a rather large power bills, considering we don't have any electric heating :( Any ideas what it might be, and if its worth looking at fixing it?
Now with Added Flickr
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

9ra55h0ppaH wrote:Well, it looks like im going to need that new fridge sooner than i thought...

The 285L Phillips fridge i snaffled off the parents isnt doing much cooling, with 24c ambient temperature, its cooling to around 11.5c, the freezer is only managing -2.5c...

The fridge likes to make alot of popping and banging noises, especially in warmer weather.

the fridge is kind of old, so i get the feeling it wont be worth replacing, i also get the feeling that its why we have had a rather large power bills, considering we don't have any electric heating :( Any ideas what it might be, and if its worth looking at fixing it?
If it's getting on, it'll probably be low on gas. Depending on the age, it's not worth repairing anyways. It would explain elevated electricity bill with it running all the time to try and get to temperature.

Guidelines on fridge/freezer temps:

Fridge: 2 to 3c
Freezer: -17c to -20c
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Santaria wrote:
DO NOT touch Samsung. 6 month waiting time for parts... even if it is your FRIDGE... and another 6 to 9 months waiting time ON TOP of that for reimbursement of cash due to hiring a fridge. (It's that bad that Samsung don't have any repairers in a 200km radius from me.)
damn it! we have a samsung... just hope it doesnt break i guess :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

hurro Santaria!

Looking at a decent aircon.... only have a portable thing, and while it does ok, it seems to struggle a little on really warm days.

what are your thoughts and recomendations??? seems Mitsubishi are getting great reports, what are your thoughts on them?
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

DexterPunk wrote:hurro Santaria!

Looking at a decent aircon.... only have a portable thing, and while it does ok, it seems to struggle a little on really warm days.

what are your thoughts and recomendations??? seems Mitsubishi are getting great reports, what are your thoughts on them?
I quite like the Mitsubishi aircons to be honest. They're a good unit and I've really had bugger all to do with the company due to the faults only being small and simple to fix. I've installed a fair few and only been back to 3 or 4 of them over about a 6 year period, so I'd say that'd pretty damn good. They're at a good price point and can quite easily run against the Daikens and the Fujitsu's. Electrolux (Kelvinator, AEG) are also pretty good but from memory they'll be a little bit more expensive than the Mitsubishi's. The dual/triple head Mitsubishi's are awesome as well :)

Be prepared to boil the kettle though if you need to contact their customer service department. There's not many of them there.

If you get a Mitsu a/c at a decent price, run with it :) You won't be disappointed :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

most appreciated! thanks mate :yes:

Seen a few people saying... get what you pay for etc.
Would i be right in thinking a bigger more powerful air con may actually use less energy? since it may not have to work as hard? Is bigger almost always better? :D
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

DexterPunk wrote:most appreciated! thanks mate :yes:

Seen a few people saying... get what you pay for etc.
Would i be right in thinking a bigger more powerful air con may actually use less energy? since it may not have to work as hard? Is bigger almost always better? :D
Yeah, it does. i.e. if the room you want to cool is rated for 9k BTU and you get a 12k BTU unit, that's fine. But if it's rated for 9k BTU and you put in a 24k BTU it kinda defeats the cost saving purpose for the fact the 24k BTU will draw A LOT more power than the 9. So, go a little over the recommended, but don't go stupidly over. The cost will work out the same on the power bill, but you paid extra for the unit.

Hope you understand what I wrote, lol.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

crystal :yes:

thanks again.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

tis me again...

Just a quick question on evaporative vs refrigerated.. it seems that for the price of a refriferated split system, we could almost get a ducted evaporative system installed.. (about 3.5 - 4k) Just wondering on your thoughts Santaria, or infact anyone else who has an oppinon. Does an evaporative system have enough guts?

by the way i wasnt sure weather to post here or the air con thread thats floating about at the moment. But i figured the air con thread prolly shoulda been discussed in here anyway :D
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

If you're living in a place with low humidity most of the time. If it's usually high in humidity it's worthless. Basically, evap coolers work like a spray bottle and a fan. A/C's cool the air by recycling the air past the condenser over and over again until the temperature reaches it's setting. You won't get the same comfort from an evaporative cooler as you will from a split system A/C.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Im in Melbourne, so humidity is generally lower... i guess the difference could be.. not as good cooling in all rooms etc.... or better cooling in a couple.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I'm in Central QLD and would never ever recommend an evap cooler to anyone up here. If the humidity is generally lower i.e. 20% usually, then you may get good use out of the evap cooler and it may work very well. over that and bordering towards the 50-70% humidity mark and it'll fail to do anything really :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

thanks, that clears up a couple of things...

A guy is coming out thursday morning to have a look at the place and give a quote... so ill see what he thinks as well... but i think the AC might be a better option from what you have said, as it would suck to spend that kinda money and have it fail on a hot humid day, and they can also heat as well if im not mistaken.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

DexterPunk wrote:thanks, that clears up a couple of things...

A guy is coming out thursday morning to have a look at the place and give a quote... so ill see what he thinks as well... but i think the AC might be a better option from what you have said, as it would suck to spend that kinda money and have it fail on a hot humid day, and they can also heat as well if im not mistaken.
90% of them are reverse cycle yeah. Try and get an inverter type if possible. They aren't as power hungry as the traditional on/off systems :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

The Mr Quote man is coming tomorrow morning... basiclly im going to be asking for a quote on:

1) Evap cooling for the whole house

2) Split system inverter multi - family and lounge rooms

3)Split system inverter - family room

and get an idea of what he thinks will be best for the house when he sees it. Anything you think i should quiz him on Santaria? or any important questions or traps i should look out for?
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

DexterPunk wrote:The Mr Quote man is coming tomorrow morning... basiclly im going to be asking for a quote on:

1) Evap cooling for the whole house

2) Split system inverter multi - family and lounge rooms

3)Split system inverter - family room

and get an idea of what he thinks will be best for the house when he sees it. Anything you think i should quiz him on Santaria? or any important questions or traps i should look out for?
For split systems make sure of the spot you WANT to place it first. Preferably on an outside wall, away from windows and doors if possible. A 'back to back' installation is the cheapest form. An evap is on the roof, just point to where abouts you want the vents. When coming to splits and the size of the room, unless your house is huge, anything over 24BTU for anything other than a loungeroom is too big in a standard house. That's about it bud.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

thanks again for you help! most appreciated :yes:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

just an update....

we ordered one air con for now in the biggest room which is also attached to the kitchen which has two large archways so should do both.

http://www.mitsubishi-electric.com.au/46.htm the MSZ-GA71VA model - the 7.1KW version... which will operate between 0.9KW - 8.3KW.

and think about doing the lounge room perhaps next year.
thornz

Post by thornz »

I have a question in regards to transporting fridges. have just purchased a second hand one for the flat and need to transport it to the new place. Is lying it on its side to transport a bad idea? I have looked round, and it seems 50/50. Some say its fine if you leave it siitting upright for a day before turning it back on, and other say it will ruin the fridge. Anyone got some sound advice on the matter?