Not buying it
26%

Total votes: 53

Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Codemasters F1 2010

Post by Vilante »

The graphics look amazing, especially in the rain!
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

Now why can't we have a sim look like that! And it's good to see wet weather done properly, including a drying line. The last time that was done was GP3/4 :fall: But i think i'll be getting this on the PS3.

I wish iRacing has wet weather....
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I wish iRacing looked this good... :(
thornz

Post by thornz »

I wish iRacing was a one off payment :p
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I wish I didnt have to spend 1000 years racing in terrable cars before I can race wiht friends..
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

nutty wrote:I wish I didnt have to spend 1000 years racing in terrable cars before I can race wiht friends..
You don't. You can be in the top license level within a few weeks of joining, providing you have the content (you move up a license as soon as you have fulfilled the requirements and have an SR over 4 - no waiting until the end of a season anymore). You can also do hosted races at any time.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I like the sound of the career mode and how your team has to do R&D during the season which depending how much time you spend on the current car will effect the car for the next season. Like Ferrari 2009/2010.

Oh and all the videos have been taken from a per alpha 360 version in arcade more....

Here's a small preview.
http://www.simracingworld.com/content/3 ... -features/

EDIT: Love the idea of puddles and rivers in the rain also!
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

I know this is negative but honestly we can all sum up what this game is going to be like with one word...Codemasters .

From that we can deduce the following.

The game will likely set new benchmarks as far as graphics go. But the downside will be a maximum of 14 cars on track.

The career mode will most likely feel highly fabricated and push sim fans away with its silly focus on characters rather then the racing. Its likely they will also have a linear storyline in the career mode with set qualifying results mechanical failures etc all to present the player with different cutscenes to progress the story along. Imagine, ur engine dropping a cylinder in qualifying preventing you from getting the actual result you deserved which leads to media cutscenes talking about how poor your performance was etc.

There will be new features in the game such as the ones mentioned (puddles, track rubbering in, build up of marbles on tyres when offline, dry/wet sections of track) but these features will not meet there true potential and most likely be a graphical gimmick to suit the arcade fans who will be awed by its shallow approach to being a simulation.

The damage model will look great with a high amount of debris and parts to seperate from the cars but the actual model itself will be very forgiving, possibly even without terminal consequences.

We know that they are implementing the seasons rules such as 8 engines per season by how hard would it be to simply have a on off switch allowing or disallowing engine failures rather then a forgiving system that only pretends to immitate cylinder failures while allowing the driver to continue as long as they want.

The big question is the physics...will codemasters abandon their pivot based system that they have used for the last decade or will they finally modify it to produce a proper system. My guess is they wont.

I hate knowing with almost 100 percent certain probability that this is going to be a dissapointment to anyone who wants to believe in their marketing hype.

Ill be estatic if they finally change there approach to racing games but i see no reason to dissapoint myself by hoping they will.
Last edited by VIPEROSI on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richo

Post by richo »

They have been peddlers of the finest quality poop for some time and i can't see that changing much as i wish it would .
[]D [] []v[] []D
schuey97
Yet to Dip his Nib

Post by schuey97 »

From the video it looks a bit like a dick tug to me :jerk:

.....just not anywhere near as great as the real thing.

The problem I have found with these sorts of games is they are too damn easy to get the hang of and to damn easy to complete (like a career or championship season). I find with anything too easy I just get bored of and dont play it anymore.
I easily spent over 6 years on GP2 on the hardest settings possiable ......and I loved it as it was a challenge and you had to work hard. Plus with all the mods you could keep it up to date also. I still remember my first World Championship in Grand Prix 2, as it ment so much to me as I spent hours and hours on testing, car setup and working out strategy (Plus I didnt finish it within two weeks like a codemasters game .....it took months). The best part about it, last round was at Adelaide and I had to win to win the Championship .....I was so nervous and while I was racing I was trying to keep myself calm. I never restarted a race or qual session and never re-loaded a save game because the round went bad.

.....You just dont get that sort of feeling from games like Codemasters create. Sort of sad really.
Schuey's Unobtainables
Natalie Portman -- Delta Goodrem -- Miranda Kerr -- Avril Lavigne
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

VIPEROSI wrote:I know this is negative but honestly we can all sum up what this game is going to be like with one word...Codemasters ...
Exactly what I'm expecting too. :rolleyes:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

The days of games being made for the purists (GPL, F12002 etc) are gone. Its no longer about making the perfect game to simulate any given series, its about getting something out to the public that will appeal to the masses. Its more about the money than the overall product now.

We need to enjoy what we have, and what we've had in the past.

As for their F1 2010 game, ill wait for at least a demo. But like Viper said, its Codemasters.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Dirt 2 is great fun, sure its no RB Rally but the engine is decent.
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

This interview reveals a few more things. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=239718

This section on the weather is particularly illuminating

You said you have the "most advanced weather system of any racing game". Can you elaborate?

Jeal: Yeah, that's fundamentally down to the fact that it doesn't just look good. There is a lot of under-the-hood stuff that's going on. The track system on a big course like Spa knows how grippy or how wet it is for every 30cm square of the track. It knows not just that it's wet but how much water's there. It knows what tyres you've got - if you're on the full-wet tyres they disperse something like 300 litres of water per second [it's actually around 80 litres per second according to Internet research - Ed].

So they will physically drive that water from the track. If you go over the same piece of track on intermediates, you won't clear as much water, so you won't see as much of a drying line.

Depending on where the track is, how fast the cars are going and whether there's any overhanging trees, that all affects how quickly the track dries. Even things like how high the track is from sea level and ambient air temperature. It's proper sim stuff. I nicknamed it the National Geographic when I first read the game design docs. We've spared no expense on that

Im not sure how previous sims have recreated wet weather (gtr gp4) but this does seem like a new way to approach. I wonder how much attention was then shown to the grip level that is available at every available amount of water on the track.

I wonder if rfactors system will be as good or better?.

This is another reason to be frustrated....good ideas going to waste.
pab

Post by pab »

VIPEROSI wrote:I wonder how much attention was then shown to the grip level that is available at every available amount of water on the track.
Well, from the movies we've seen, the sand traps have plenty of grip, so......
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I think that's how GP3/4 worked; break the surface into a grid then apply different grip levels to each square.

You know it's just marketing bollocks really. Codemasters have been touting their realism since the days when they actually had some.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I have 100% faith that this game will be total crap!
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

Gizmo wrote:I have 100% faith that this game will be total crap!
Do not fear my child your faith shall be proven true :nod: :rofl:
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

The weather is jaw-dropping.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Exar Kun wrote:The weather is jaw-dropping.
Tell me about it! looking better and better
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

using the same tech as Dirt 2? Dirt 2 was a good mindless blast, RIP Colin....
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
SamC
Photographer, not artist.

Post by SamC »

Nup, looks shit.

A game can look as pretty as it wants, thats good for the first 5 "wow" minutes, then you're over it because you can ram straight into the back of people and your car is fine, you go into the sandtrap and you somehow spin around for no reason and you turn the corners in 90 degree square movements because the inbuilt you-should-be-driving-on-this-racing-line fucks it up. I would rather sacrifice graphics and have realism, I would much rather have something like LFS, where it feels real, graphics are still pretty decent and you have all the setup changes you can do etc, tyres heating up and softs hards all makes a difference. Fuck the arcade shit. Guarantee you will be able to do a 55 second lap around Albert Park too :doh:
petey

Post by petey »

Gotta agree with Sam ^^^

The day codemasters releases a "Simulation" by any aspect is I'm told to coincide with the day Hell drops in surface temperature dramatically.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

The days of fully fledged simulations are over. Companies want to increase their bottom line, so they need to cater to the ADHD generation.

Enjoy iRacing, LFS, rFactor, RBR etc, because they are more than likely the last of the sim breed.