I haz HTC Desire !

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
pixelboy

Re: I haz HTC Desire !

Post by pixelboy »

You sent a wmv ya plonker!! Thats not flash.. its windows video...

oh.. and the Desire could play it.. but only audio.. not video..
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hahha ...plonker.
petey

Post by petey »

He did say WMV playback was one of his gripes about iPhone.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

petey wrote:He did say WMV playback was one of his gripes about iPhone.
Ahh yes .. he did too.. my mistake.. sorry w00dsy...

Apparently you can play wmv's with some media players.. yes there is a choice :)
eek
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

:wave2:
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

How is it going Pix?

I'm about to get a new work phone and I've come down to an iPhone 4 and this. This may not be on our list but I'm going to push for it if you're loving it.

The camera, flash support, the speed and a couple of minor things are worrying me about the iPhone being I have a 3G and those things shit me.

Does anyone here have an iPhone 4?
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

I picked up a Desire last week for my GF - she had a iPhone 3G and sold it while she waits for the 4 to come out

She's quite amazed at how customisable it is and what you can do with it

Only thing she is missing are the apps that she bought while she was using the iPhone, but she found that most of them are either on Android or she can get something similar

If she ends up getting the iPhone 4 I'll give the Desire a go for a while and see what I can do with it (gotta flash it first and get rid of the Telstra bloat)

From what I've seen its a good phone, battery life is a bit poor tho
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Thanks Brett.

One of the things I use all the time on the iPhone is Google maps and its GPS. Is this any good on the HTC?
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Vilante wrote:Thanks Brett.

One of the things I use all the time on the iPhone is Google maps and its GPS. Is this any good on the HTC?
I can put you onto either iGo8 or Tom Tom for these, but you can still use google maps and GPS over all devices. (HD2 here)
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Santaria wrote:
Vilante wrote:Thanks Brett.

I can put you onto either iGo8 or Tom Tom for these, but you can still use google maps and GPS over all devices. (HD2 here)
Awesome, thanks Santa!!
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

I saw that Google maps has a navigator in beta. Anyone tried it?

Haven't tried any navigators on the Desire yet, hopefully they are a little better than the TomTom I have on my iPhone
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

We just got one of these for the wife and I'm that impressed that right at this moment I'm actually tossing up whether to get one myself and I don't even know if I really need a smart phone :faint:
She originally wanted a 3GS but being that she's from Vietnam and goes back fairly regularly being able to send files over bluetooth to her family and simplicity in hooking up to her parents computer were sticking points.
Until the iphone 4 is out this seems to be one of the best phones on the market and now you can get it on a $49 cap with telstra it's very good value.
It's very quick no matter what you do and just feels very very slick all round. The camera isn't quite as good as her old N85 for day shots which was also 5MP but night time shots are much better.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Bah, it's only available through Telstra so it's out.

The only choices are iPhone 3GS or the Samsung Galaxy S. Leaning toward the Samsung methinks.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

It comes unlocked and you can buy it outright, not sure if that suits you or not.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Sarsippius wrote:It comes unlocked and you can buy it outright, not sure if that suits you or not.
Unfortunately it's a work phone and they've been offered a new deal with new handsets so they have to come from Optarse.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Vilante wrote:Unfortunately it's a work phone and they've been offered a new deal with new handsets so they have to come from Optarse.
Same at my work, Optus only.... I've had my iPhone on Optus since I got it and only just recently changed to Telstra, full 3G everywhere I've been so far

At least the iPhone 4 has 3G and the wifi's :D
petey

Post by petey »

lol :aussie:
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Brett_S wrote:
Vilante wrote:Unfortunately it's a work phone and they've been offered a new deal with new handsets so they have to come from Optarse.
Same at my work, Optus only.... I've had my iPhone on Optus since I got it and only just recently changed to Telstra, full 3G everywhere I've been so far

At least the iPhone 4 has 3G and the wifi's :D
As long as YOU aren't holding it wrong :prod:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I'm still happy with the Desire.. rooted and flashed to an updated ROM.. (Froyo).

Vilante, the Galaxy S looks like a tidy phone.. as you say... its that or iPhone.. but i'm very happy with the Droid!
eek
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Pix does that mean you've lost the sense ui? I figured HTC not releasing Froyo straight away meant they might have to update sense ui first. How much of an improvement is Froyo by the way?
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

froyo is great.. huge upgrade... yeah no sense.. but im not really missing it... its got several crap apps you cant remove.. not to mention the telstra shit..

but having said that.. might go back to original rom when the official update comes out..
eek
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Pix I got my dad to get one of these based on your recommendation. Had a play with it tonight... YOU OWE MY DAD A NEW PHONE ITS SH&$. Nah its fantastic, the screen is great, its soooo easy to use and works a treat. Id say the layout is almost better than the iPhones, great stuff.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

hehe..

screen is amazing init..
eek
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

pixelboy wrote:hehe..

screen is amazing init..
Yeah thats the remarkable part of it, the screen is great, at the end of the day thats what you look at the most. It is just as easy to use. If I was given the choice between my 3GS and the desire, I would go the Desire now. Easily.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

quick question, how is the mp3 player in these? I use my ipod part of my iphone a fair bit and couldn't imagine going to a phone now that didn't have a half decent music player.