iOS4

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: iOS4

Post by DexterPunk »

Upgraded mine yesterday... Love the folders! Now have my six pages of apps organized into categories. No issues here for me.
Montey

Post by Montey »

I've upgrade my 3GS.

The only issue I have noted is that with the ability for app's to have the location stuff going persistently it appears to be chewing through the battery at an extraordinary rate.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Flinty72 wrote:What about an iAd opt-out option during or post upgrade?
Looks like they have done the right thing link.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

wabbit wrote:
Umm tks wabbit, so if I have got this right Apple using iAd &/or Location enabled apps can use this info for corporate & even financial gain?
Of so then no wonder they introduced multi-tasking or a version thereof which is really just background memory holding and data transfer (for enabled location based apps).
I think I will be opting out for all sorts of reasons, the added bonus of it may mean longer battery life too.

Edit: reading it again it seems the location based services can not be avoided unless you decline the new terms.
Anyone upgraded confirm if location services can be switched off within each enabled app or even via a global setting?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

There is an option under settings > general > location services to turn it off in ios4 it also shows you each application that uses the location services
Montey

Post by Montey »

Flinty72 wrote:
wabbit wrote:
Umm tks wabbit, so if I have got this right Apple using iAd &/or Location enabled apps can use this info for corporate & even financial gain?
Of so then no wonder they introduced multi-tasking or a version thereof which is really just background memory holding and data transfer (for enabled location based apps).
I think I will be opting out for all sorts of reasons, the added bonus of it may mean longer battery life too.

Edit: reading it again it seems the location based services can not be avoided unless you decline the new terms.
Anyone upgraded confirm if location services can be switched off within each enabled app or even via a global setting?
Location services can be switched off on a per app basis. But... the way it seems to work is that if you turn off location services for an app it is disabled for that app all the time. It does not just disable the location services whilst the app is not in use and then allow you to have it enabled when the app is running in the foreground. i.e. I don't need location services enabled for Trapster when I am in the office and hence not using Trapster, but id like to have Trapster working when I execute it.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

pixelboy wrote:no backgrounds on 3G.. just 3GS.. Seems displaying a jpg is too much for it :/
This is for SE1Z really. I did some research on this cause I thought it was another BS Apple move.

In iOS 3 JB just replaces the wallpaper image. In iOS 4 theres a lot of live rendered shadows (bottom to top over the wallpaper, each icon has its own drop shadow and the wallpaper reflects off the Dock). Then theres new animations for the homescreen.

SE1Z, JB your phone and let us know if the performance drop is annoying.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I have a 3G.. upgrade went fine. loving the directories.

Can 3G not multitask due to its slowness I guess?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

kwijibo wrote:Can 3G not multitask due to its slowness I guess?
In most performance tests the 3G is half the speed of the 3GS. It also has half the RAM. So yeah upgrade time :)
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I've done without it until now.. I'm not upgrading any time soon :)

EA have lots of Apps on special for $1.19 by the way, I just got Tiger Woods, Fifa and Sim City!
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Upgrade is underway, hoping it all goes smoothly & I don't suffer from any of the issues in norbs' linky...
Will let you know once it's done.

EDIT: All went smoothly & so far no issues that I can tell, all contacts, notes, files & iTunes library intact. :)
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

well since updating to IOS4 my phone spends more time on charge than off it.

turned off location services
turned off push notifications, which i had on before.

It was fully charged at midnight so i took it off charge to see how it would be when i awoke, at 8 am when i awoke it was at 30% charge. and it didnt do a thing.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Neil I'm guessing you've got a 3GS? Out of three 3GS' one mate said his battery life was shit like yours. Not that we can explain it but after a few syncs on iTunes the issue resolved itself. He did the same thing you've done by turning every off. Its weird I haven't worked out why it happens, maybe another full restore of iOS 4 might work?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

hmm okay thanks for that info wabbit, stumbled accross this thread to.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 0&tstart=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of people with the issue.

Trying a full restore right now. see how it goes!
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

NeilPearson wrote:hmm okay thanks for that info wabbit, stumbled accross this thread to.
After restoring try not to sync from your last backup. That might have something to do with it...

Yeah let us (me) know how it goes, its annoying me not having the answer :D I know its not related to app usage either as my mate only upgraded and couldn't sync to iTunes, because 9.2 wasn't released for Windows at that point.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I was changing a tethering setting last night whilst watching the soccer and didn't quite read the instructions too well. Long story and lots of swearing short, I virtually bricked the phone! Fuxor!

Well, back to a back up from ages back, pre Gaol Breakage and I thought fuck it, lets have a look at iOS4.

Pleasantly surprised. Battery life seems way better for me on 3GS.

Lost loads of excellent apps, but I might just have to fork out the coin and buy a few of them. I do really miss WiFi Analyzer.

Groups are ok, not as good as the Categories in Cydia, but good enough.

Overall, not the clusterfuck I was expecting.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

its already dropped 10% as of now (just over and hour....) posting to check the time. I just went through and backed up my contacts onto a excel document, (and got everyones address and emails added, thanks facebook and google maps haha).

Now Im going to restore it again and start complete afresh. see if that helps.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

If you have bought apps then dont you just get them back for free when you go to 'buy' them again???
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Yes you do. you just have to remember which ones you have bought.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Gee you guys do things the hard way. In iTunes view your account and click Purchase History.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

its still bleeding battery life at 10% an hour. :(
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Weird... Mines been fine, might even have improved if anything.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

NeilPearson wrote:its still bleeding battery life at 10% an hour. :(
Check your PM. I want to solve this.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Well it's been 24hrs since it's been off charge since I restored it to factory settings and started from fresh.

I have 14% battery left, seems if you restore a 3.xx restore file into the 4.0 software it kills it.

Mum was telling me she is suffering from the battery drain as well now
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Found & installed the iOS 4.1 GM. Nothing to report yet. Seems to have fixed the slow typing in posts bug :)