I haz HTC Desire !

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
petey

Re: I haz HTC Desire !

Post by petey »

I am very close to terminating my $90 a month vodafone iPhone and going for the 49 desire on telstra.

Just gotta way up the cancellation fee at this point. Could maybe flog the iphone off to someone for the rest of the cash however so it might even work out ok.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
petey

Post by petey »

Well I got one. Ha. So far, yes it is brilliant.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

the music player is great woodsy.. whats more.. you can choose from about 4 or 5 of em.. (music players that is)
eek
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Does it have Words with Friends though?
petey

Post by petey »

Without looking too hard I've found "Mixzing" is a great music player/library.

Got DolphinBrowser HD too which has some nicer features than standard.

And handcent sms which is reminds me of all the functionality of the iphone.

Plus plenty of other awesome apps, google goggles is pretty sweeet. (is that on iphone ? no idea just found it)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

No media player supports replay gain so I'll be sticking to my Sansa Clip+ for music but it's something I don't think the iphone/ipod supports either.
Got my desire on Tuesday but I've already fiddled with the wife's one a fair bit so just been getting thins set up how I like, only started loading up some apps yesterday.
Froyo is out this weekend in Europe so I'm going to keep an eye out this week and then decide whether to root and use a ROM based on the official release or put the 2.1 official ROM on it to then update OTA. My main concern is for warranty, if rooting and putting on a community released ROM doesn't update the bootloader past 0.80 then that might be the way to go as it should be possible to get the telstra ROM back on if need be. However if I put the official HTC 2.2 ROM on it I'm not sure how they could claim that voids the warranty. Decisions, decisions....
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Whats "replay gain"? [edit: ahh I see]
Yes you can "un-root" and revert to the stock telstra ROM (original rom) should you have warranty problems.
eek
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Petey did you get yours on the Telstra cap plan? They have a promotion on at the moment for bonus data, 500MB for the $49 cap, 1GB on the $79 etc. It started on the 30th of July but I gave billing a call and got them to upgrade the $49 cap to 500MB for the wife's phone which we got on the 5th of July. If you didn't get the extra up front give them a call! I was expecting a bit of wrangling but they did it straight up.
petey

Post by petey »

Interesting I think it might be 200mb on mine so yea... I did get it before the 30th so Ill give em a call tomorrow cheers for the heads up. :yes:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Well i got to play with a real one of these this morning, and I am impressed. The last one I played with was a test phone, and had some screwy firmware on it, but this one was bloody brilliant. I also got my hands on a iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S and Sony Ericsson Xperia X10. Wow, I didn't realise just how many terrific handsets were about.

I think the Desire and Samsung were my faves. The Samsungs screen was terrific, but the phone is huge. I couldn't figure out if it had an MP3 player though. The Desire is a cracker. At least it can go up to 32gig. I am pretty sure the Sony will only take 16gig microSD cards.

There was too many things to look at in too short a time, but I am pretty sure the iPhone wont be my next phone in 12 months when I get to upgrade again. The way things are going, it will be an Android phone from HTC I reckon.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Im really happy with the Desire except the plan I got.. I had to go on the $79 with 500mb.. now you can get it on $49 with same data.. the bastards wont give me a downgrade on the plan or the extra data!!

Oh well... typical telstra :(
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

We have the HTC's, Samsungs etc at work using Android. I don't like the OS as much.. I'm sure the phones are feature rich, but I see it a little like a MacBook vs a PC lappy... You pay less for the PC and get a well spec'ed system, but you have to use windows. Apple just seem to make it so much easier. Android to me isn't as self explanatory.
markus

Post by markus »

Vilante wrote:
Does anyone here have an iPhone 4?
:nod:
Much cycling such kilometers.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

DexterPunk wrote: Apple just seem to make it so much easier. Android to me isn't as self explanatory.
Yes.. and no..

Apple only ship the features they can support.. they keep it simple.. and that's great for most folks.

Google leave it open for you you to do what you want.. but don't support it.. so Android is more flexible because it isn't as "locked-down"..

I only recommend Android phones to technical folks.. Android might get there at some point.. but they would need to open support channels like apple do. Google also need to fix the App Market.. its a mess.
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yeah for sure... Apples OS is locked down quite a bit. I think i've gotten lazy as i've gotten older. I was actually somewhat pleased if my PC needed a format, or some new parts... even built my own water cooling system once for some overclocking fun, by which I mean, everything but the waterblock was home made. These days, I can't be bothered really messing around with stuff. I'm more and more becoming an OSX fan, although I think windows 7 is much much better than windows ever has been, I find OSX gives me far less headaches. I think my overall mentality is changing and I think its similar with the phone I want to use. I just jailbroke my phone a couple of days ago, and I'm already thinking i'll just restore it back. The only thing I really dislike about iPhones is the lack of flash support.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Pix, this might be a way to get some extra data with your plan, looks like you will have to fork out a bit more each month though & not sure if it applies to $79 caps.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

what is a way to get extra data?
eek
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

lol I'm an idiot
http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/30093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They're basically halving the cost of the monthly data plans.
Some discussion on whirlpool here too
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 99031&p=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some say you have to be new or re-contracting but others have had it applied, I think with Telstra it all depends who you talk to, seems the twitter team might be your best bet. Tell em a sob story about being an early adopter and now missing out hehe

Edit: after more reading your chances aren't great being you've had it as long as you have but might be worth a shot.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I'm screwed.. ive tried several avenues to get either onto the $49/cap or get extra data..

Bastards have now got the Desire on a $49 business cap with 1.2gb!!
eek
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Well i've had some success... I discovered that my $79 business cap allows me to pay for excess from my cap allowance ($750) !!

Since I rarely use more that $200 of it I've got approx $550 worth of excess data.. about 1.4GB !!
eek
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

2GB for $59 suits me. I'd hope Telstra is bloody fantastic every minute of the day for those prices/charges :)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

i've had mobile data on all three networks and telstra is HEAPS better everywhere ive tried.. especially the train..
eek
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Well then. That's totally understandable ;)
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm trying out the MIUI rom at the moment, very different to sense (you could argue too similar to iOS) but I'm liking it quite a bit. S-Murphy over on Whirlpool has updated it a bit for us aussies.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah cool, I was going to try that.. ive been on the t-mod one for a while...
eek