Exhausts

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Exhausts

Post by w00dsy »

i think what Norbs was getting at was never tell someone you don't care what it will cost.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I know, thats precisely why I did it, he'd already told me there was no gain in changing anything forward from the cat... Thought I'd test him a little and see what he'd say if I said that. I don't trust mechanics much.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Shaun wrote:exhaust for your car seems quite cheap, mine was quoted 890 for a catback a year ago, but i guess its a twin 2 1/2 system, ended up going all out with extractors and hi flow cats, with labour it was around 3k :( lol
Hey Shaun, What brand headers,cats,cat back have you got?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Found this, looks like it could be a good little guide.

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?op ... &Itemid=93" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

TIMMY30 wrote:
Shaun wrote:exhaust for your car seems quite cheap, mine was quoted 890 for a catback a year ago, but i guess its a twin 2 1/2 system, ended up going all out with extractors and hi flow cats, with labour it was around 3k :( lol
Hey Shaun, What brand headers,cats,cat back have you got?
paceys 4 into 1 headers, think the cats are magnaflow, and my exhaust shop made up the catback, putting on an xforce twin 2 1/2 stainless steel catback in a few weeks though
Hello :aussie:
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

DexterPunk wrote:Found this, looks like it could be a good little guide.

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?op ... &Itemid=93" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Save up $9k and go full turbo conversion.. :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Nah.. Don't wanna shorten the engine life really. I don't wanna go nuts... Exhaust for a nice look, sound, and a bit more go.. Suspension for improved handling, safety, and lowering for looks, and some better brakes. And that's it, I'll leave it alone.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

DexterPunk wrote:Nah.. Don't wanna shorten the engine life really. I don't wanna go nuts... Exhaust for a nice look, sound, and a bit more go.. Suspension for improved handling, safety, and lowering for looks, and some better brakes. And that's it, I'll leave it alone.
You know we need a "build" thread dont you? Pics n shit before you change stuff :up:
--------------
Stu
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I've been planing on doing some pics of it to post up, it's actually a pretty tidy looking car already... but havnt had the time to take it out to a decent location. It will probably happen at some stage... But it's not going to look a whole heap different apart from the exhaust and slightly lower.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Decided I will do cat back.. spoken to a mates dad who is a mechanic and he also agrees that the full system isn't worth it unless I start to do some heavy engine mods. So I will save some cash and put it towards improving the suspension, which really I think is more important and will have a greater impact on the performance of the car anyway. Funny thing is, this bloke actually recommended i go to Daalder, he uses them for his business and says they really know their stuff. Which is the place I originally went to for a quote.

One thing was left unanswered though, stainless, or the standard alloy they use? Cat back in standard alloy is $380. Stainless is around the $700-750 mark. Is it really worth it? I could get the lot changed over again for about the same price anyway. Surely the exhaust will last quite a while anyway, its not like the stock exhaust is stainless is it?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

depends, are you are going for the show room shine?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

dont really mind, its under the car... they put a tip on it I think anyway, thats stainless, and thats about all your see poking out.
petey

Post by petey »

stainless essentially should last longer than you will have the car.

As for their standard then it depends, chances are it will last longer than you will have the car anyway.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yeah I think they give me a 3 year warranty anyway.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

My Zook's exhaust (not stainless) is about 5yrs old and not yet rusted out, despite being a 4x4 that goes through mud/rivers. The only damage it has is to the muffler where impacted by random rocks and also where recently punctured by a stick. Now it makes an annoying fart sound, although not very loud. Gonna have to replace the muffler though as it will now rust quicker :(